safety 1st alpha omega (and the others like it)

opaque1997

Ok - so I know that in general these seats don't perform well - and maybe I'm just now in the 'right circles' but I have seen 5 different posts on different boards and fb asking if this is a good seat. I'm glad they are asking - but man - are they on sale or something? Its been 48 hours and 5 different places?? :)

Though they are asking I often feel I come off .. bratty because I stress that its not a good seat - direct them here and then try and find another seat.

Is there a good seat I can recommend that people generally would hop to from the 3-in-1? (just recommended the true fit - as I know its a good seat and in the same price range... )

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The AO is $89 at Burlington, and the ad just went out. Plus Costco tends to have them. I tell people that is does horrible as a booster. So, if you like it as a convertible NOT 3 in 1, then go for it.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
These seats used correctly perform just as well as any other harnessed seat. The booster part is very dangerous due to a very poor fit for most children.

If people are looking for a seat to RF, I would recommend the Graco MyRide, Safety 1st Complete Air, Evenflo Momentum, Lamaze True Fit, Diono Radian. If they are looking for the FF and booster type seat I'd recommend a Nautilus or Frontier 85.

momtoo3

I like the Evenflo Symphony much better than the AO. I did like the AO RF for ds3 but didn't care for it FF. The Symphony is the only all in one I can think of that RF, FF and boosters well.

opaque1997

Oh.. humm.. I didn't think they did well RF - most of these are people moving out of their infant seats to convertibles.. I came across one thread on thebump where she was looking at this and the response was no go for the Nautalis. Major confusion over convertible meaning rf then ff.. I'm glad to see people asking though.

I guess I need to re adjust my thoughts on the seat in general and make sure to mention it does have some good qualities!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Well, it works and is just as safe as any other seat. I wouldn't say there are "good qualities." I wouldn't recommend it to people though, because it is outgrown early.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well, it works and is just as safe as any other seat. I wouldn't say there are "good qualities." I wouldn't recommend it to people though, because it is outgrown early.

see, thats really not true. The 40 lb version is outgrown about when many other 40 lb cheaper, smaller seats are outgrown, and the 50/65 pound seats last longer than say .. a true fit or EFTA, nearly as long as a radian. Those top slots are freaking high, the shell is tall and the Rf limit is 40 lbs. Seriously, what more do you want in a seat??????? :confused:

the booster deal is a travesty, and they should be stoned for it, yes. but the seat itself is fine. As for the istall... really depends on the vehicle. I freaking love my AOE and have installed it in at least a dozen vehicles over the years and have never ever had an issue. I mean, granted, I am like, super awesome and stuff ;) but really, it's not that bad, especially if we are comparing it to other lower end seats and not a britax or whatever.

christineka

If it's the 50 or 65 pound version for $89, the limits are actually pretty good. The problem with the seat is that it's often difficult to install and use correctly, which means is usually isn't. Of course, the majority of car seats aren't used properly either, so I dunno. There isn't really much else with the 50/65 pound limits for the $89 sale price tag.

thursday

These were for sale at Costco for $70 so we got one, and now I'm worried - what's wrong with it when it becomes a booster?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
These were for sale at Costco for $70 so we got one, and now I'm worried - what's wrong with it when it becomes a booster?

It does not position the belt in the right place over the child. Typically the lap belt is routed up over the abdomen (might as well not even use a booster) and the shoulder belt rarely fits kids well either. Or, if it fits, it will only fit for a very very short period of time when your child is *just* the right size. For many kids the belt does not even touch the chest, and for other kids the belt is too high or too low on the shoulder.

As a regular car seat, they're OK. There are other seats that are as good for less money, or better for the same money, and they tend to be more difficult to install than the average car seat. But then again, it's the cheapest car seat you can get with a no-rethread harness, so if that feature is important to you and the seat otherwise works well for your car and your kid, that's what really matters.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Like PPs have stated, it's fine as a harnessed seat. If you like it and it fits your vehicle, child, and budget well then use it now and cross the booster bridge when you get to it. Make yourself very familiar with its limits (as one should do with any seat) and make sure you don't exceed those and it will be fine.

amelia222

The newest version of the dorel 3-in-1's, the ones currently in stores, are identical to the Complete Air minus the air pillows (at least in Canada) except that they claim to be boosters as well. So if we just ignore the booster part then they are now pretty great harnessed seats. Rf to 40lbs, ff to 65lbs, no rethread harness, dual level lines, tons of RF leg room.

bbartlettnfld

I install a lot of these seats, At a clinic a while back the only seats I installed were 3 in 1's. I did at least 5 in a row!

The new 2012 ones are actually pretty decent, no problems installing them even RF. RF weight limit is 40lbs and FF weight limit is 65. Yes they make a poor booster but that doesn't make it a crap seat!

Here its what most people can afford, Is it the only seat they will ever need no it is not, but i have long since stopped writing it off.

My DD RF in her 40lb version till 3 and fit FF till 4 she was petite but when I had one it was 100% better than the Evenflo Victory 5 I was replacing. At least the metal bar and plastic over the harness meant I was still able to tighten the harness when FF something that my Evenflo could no longer do once I turned it FF.

Are there other options out there, yes but this one is just fine!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC