MyCue Streamer safety device

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Aside from FF too young, he looked to have tight enough straps and proper chest clip. The RF baby, not so much...

I think this product falls into the category of "might help, won't hurt," so it's certainly not something I'd discourage someone from buying. I think it would be great for secondary cars -- where strapping the babe into the seat is *already* not routine, so the extra step of grabbing a clip won't be a deterrent. For those of us who are used to having kiddos in our cars, yeah, it's an extra step in the process... but we're not the target audience, honestly.

I did a check last week for a Dad whom I :love: because he was one of those parents that GOT it. He was the quintessential hyperthermia Dad -- two working parents, but Mom was the one who dropped baby off with Grandma for daycare, 99% of the time. As I explained the chaos involved in changing routine and how we go on autopilot by leaving the house and automatically driving to work, you could see him comprehend HOW these hyperthermia deaths happened. He's absolutely the target audience, because that 1 time every month or two he has Baby in the car with him, he can clip this on and it's an additional tool. We discussed things like putting the diaper bag on the front seat, etc, but why not add another layer of "memory trigger"?

We had a family in my parents' neighborhood lose a baby to hyperthermia in that exact situation, so I definitely "get" how it can happen. Given that this is one of the focus campaigns this summer, the product is timely. Practical, I don't know, necessary, probably not, but no one has figured out the solution to the problem yet, so might as well give it a go!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My concern is that it might add a false layer of security - that people will come to rely on that "cue" to remind them that the baby is in back - which could spell disaster the day they forget to clip the "cue" onto their keychain as they load the baby up.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think that's a fair concern. It souls be used as an additional later of protection, not the only one.

BeautifulChaos

When I had my second child this was one of my worst fears (once she stopped screaming the whole car ride of course. That makes it hard to forget she is back there!). Especially when shopping, since I have to unlock the door (old funky house-this requires 2 hands) before getting her. I made it a habit before she was born to leave my car door open, unlock the door, go back to close the door so that my mind would be trained to go back by the time she got here. I don't think the clip is a blanket solution, but if it might help I'm all for it

babyherder

Carrie_R that's a good point about secondary cars and different routines. For me I would just get used to having a streamer on my keychain so it wouldn't register as anything wrong. But if it wasn't routine it would be helpful

I'm lucky to have kids with me that usually let their presence be known!
On a side note, what's with the FF little squirt? Way too tiny! Straps looked good though, so points for that.

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

Joyofbirth

I also like that it is recognizable to other people. So if I see a lady with one, I can say something to her. My dh made a great point though. If you're going to forget your kid, how likely are you to remember to use the keychain thingy?

Brianna

jtuerff said:
Thanks for your comment. To avoid ongoing concerns, we've re-shot that portion of the video rear facing. New version will be up on the web this week.
That's great, thanks for re-shooting it!

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

monstah

I think it's a great product. Especially for the parents who are doing something out of routine. If I had that hanging from my keys when it's never normally there (it should never leave the car) it would certainly jog my memory. Great idea IMO :)

(And note about the video jtuerff, it's great to see the baby rear facing but I bet you're going to get a few comments about the harness straps being much too loose.)

babyherder said:
For me I would just get used to having a streamer on my keychain so it wouldn't register as anything wrong. But if it wasn't routine it would be helpful
You shouldn't get used to the streamer because it should never leave the car.

I would never use it in my everyday car but I could see how helpful it would be in the secondary car. Like if S/O rarely brings toddler to daycare but did one random Tuesday because their other half had a doctors appointment, KWIM?

jtuerff

I think it's a great product. Especially for the parents who are doing something out of routine. If I had that hanging from my keys when it's never normally there (it should never leave the car) it would certainly jog my memory. Great idea IMO :)

(And note about the video jtuerff, it's great to see the baby rear facing but I bet you're going to get a few comments about the harness straps being much too loose.)

You shouldn't get used to the streamer because it should never leave the car.

I would never use it in my everyday car but I could see how helpful it would be in the secondary car. Like if S/O rarely brings toddler to daycare but did one random Tuesday because their other half had a doctors appointment, KWIM?

You are correct that the device is only used in and around the vehicle. Thank you for making that point. It is not to be purposely carried away from the vehicle nor worn indefinitely on one's keychain or smart key. That would defeat its purpose as a reminder device. This is why you will never see the MyCue™ device "in black velvet and Rhinestones" which BTW was an actual request someone once made of me. The device is not a fashion statement for a reason; it is a device designed to serve as a reminder to primary and secondary caregivers of a child passenger seated behind them. While greater risk exists around a change in routine (or caregiver), history also proves the forgotten child danger can strike in today’s world any time a child is transported in a car. If a person is seen away from their vehicle with a MyCue™ device on their keychain, that individual should be approached by bystanders, security guards, or law enforcement, etc. and an inquiry made regarding the whereabouts of their child. - JTuerff

Aurezalia

Hey JTuerff - I'm actually the technician on staff at Zoolikins up in Scottsdale. If you remember, we met about 2 months or so back when you came in to demo this product for us. I gave you advice about a lighter-weight car seat to carry out for demos, if that jogs your memory at all. ;)
I don't know if you guys are interested in even reshooting that portion a third time, but as Monstah noted, you're likely to get a few comments about the very loose harness straps in the new material. I'm still here and available to give you some time as a consultant during the shoot to make sure there is no misuse in the video, if you're at all interested! I'm available for about another week, so just let me know if you are. I can be reached by email still at Sarah@zoolikins.com. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC