|Butterfly Baby Pillows...safety issue?

callaroz

On a local parents buy, sell, and swap group a wahm has been selling these:
528017_10150750029196878_505236877_9309723_353076298_n.jpg

She is marketing them for stroller and car seat use. Are these safe? Could they not slip behind a child's head during an accident? Tonight I see that somebody posted a comment on the photo saying " I love your stuff.... I use to do the car seat inspections for ICBC and BOOST BC BCAA and I would totally recommend these !"
I don't want to say anything until I know for sure...but to me these seem like an aftermarket product that could be dangerous.

ADS
Aftermarket anything is not recommended. It hasn't been crash tested with the seats so we don't know what it will do in an accident, and most times the products (thick strap covers, head huggers, BundleMe's) will effect how the harness fits the child. If the child's head is flopping to one side or the other, the most I would do is roll 2 receiving blankets and position them on either side of baby's head. If it where me, I would not use these.

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They don't seem to interfere with the harness placement, and they aren't sharp should they go flying in a crash, so yeah, I don't see that they are dangerous. I assume the thin part goes behind the head and squooshes down, and the 'wings' go on the side of the head to prevent sideways head flop? Really it's no different from rolling up a towel and putting it on the sides of a baby's head. And cuter, too :love:

joolsplus3 said:
They don't seem to interfere with the harness placement, and they aren't sharp should they go flying in a crash, so yeah, I don't see that they are dangerous. I assume the thin part goes behind the head and squooshes down, and the 'wings' go on the side of the head to prevent sideways head flop? Really it's no different from rolling up a towel and putting it on the sides of a baby's head. And cuter, too :love:

is that what the sides of it do?? I had a totally different idea of how it would be wiggled around baby's back/neck as some form of head support, possibly pushing apart the harness straps somewhat, which could be bad especially for parents who don't tighten them enough to pass the one inch pinch test to begin with. If not, then it's essentially two towels in one! (it would look a lot nicer too LOL)

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

MommyShannon

It looks to me like they are upside down in the pic to make them look more like butterflies. I think the straighter part would go right above the shoulders and behind the neck. I'm not a tech so won't say on safety, but I want the petal ones.

HaileysMommy

It's a neck pillow. I like the design because the part that goes behind the neck is thinner and not huge like you see on most neck pillows.

callaroz

Thanks for your input. My concern was just that the thicker part would somehow be able to slide under the infants head during a crash...but what do I know :p

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks for your input. My concern was just that the thicker part would somehow be able to slide under the infants head during a crash...but what do I know :p

But...then what? Are you concerned about the head bending forward and cutting off the airway? Head pads that come with seats slide down when a kid simply lifts their heads and can push heads forward, just in day to day use. In a crash, everything goes everywhere, I'd sort of expect this to just fly out of the seat if it moved at all, since everything dumps down and back in a frontal crash, and the kid's head is going to be forced down into the seat, kwim? Check out this picture of a seat during a crash test...anything in there is just going to fly up.. http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#angleRF

Kobain's Mommy

The thicker part in the car seat kinda pushes up on the sides of the head. We have one that we used with DD for a big because her head would flop to one side and DS would pull the rolled towels out.

IMG_6413.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I classify these as "probably harmless." It seems to be the equivalent of a rolled burp cloth, but cuter and more convenient and probably less likely to be pulled over the face to become a suffocation hazard.

I will not endorse "after market products" on general principle because I can't be sure about it. But I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch about these things being available for sale or a friend using one. There are a lot of much worse products people could be using.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC