Outgrowing the CCO

Brigala

CPST Instructor
web.jpg

She weighs 30 lbs. Standing height is 31.5" (I've found the doctor measures about 3" taller by measuring laying down so I'd estimate length to be about 34" or so). She has 1.25" of hard shell left above her head; looks like more because the CCO cushion sticks up deceptively high.

This has been the most awesome travel seat ever. I'm so sad to realize that next time I take the train or fly with her I'll have to haul a bigger, heavier seat. She's not quite 21 months old yet so I won't FF her for a long long time.

DH and I are still working on whether we'll have another so I'm not getting rid of it quite yet; if we have any more kids I may need this instead of an infant seat it to squeeze into my Honda.

So... next time I travel... do I pack a Radian 80SL or a Roundabout 55?

Last edited:
ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The picture isn't working for me, but I feel your sadness. DS outgrew it RF'ing a couple of months ago and only has about half an inch FF :( I will cry real tears when he outgrows that thing. It is so awesome for travel!!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think I fixed the picture.

If it is just for travel I think a Scenera or a Tribute will a better option

We don't travel often enough to really warrant having another seat just for that. I bought the Coccoro because it was a good deal and I wanted to play with it. I don't have the same desire to have a Scenera around just for the sake of cuteness. :p So I will probably just use a seat I have.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I see the pic now :) you are right, it does look like she has more than 1.25" but it's a weird angle. She's adorable :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Here's a side view in the CCO. And yes, that's a pool noodle growing out of her forehead. Most of that "seat" above her head is cushion. I used a small rectangular object that was 1.25" wide and the seat cover compresses to just exactly even with the object.

web.jpg

And just for fun... the Onboard Air.

web.jpg

She has about 1/4 inch to the top of the hard shell (but again, the cover makes it look like more). I begin to see the wisdom in Diono's 1.5" rule; as she gets close you have to get more and more careful about how you measure to make sure you're not counting that puffy seat cushion.

And the RA55:
web.jpg

I didn't have my tape measure handy when I took this one but it looks like about 3 or 4 inches to the top.

rxmommy

Aww she is so cute!!

I would take the RA travelling, but only because it's a little lighter and generally way easier to install. That's the seat I'm taking for Sophie in August, but truthfully it's my only option unless I buy something new because it's the only seat we have that she fits in RFing at the moment.

lourdes

Brigala said:
I think I fixed the picture.

We don't travel often enough to really warrant having another seat just for that. I bought the Coccoro because it was a good deal and I wanted to play with it. I don't have the same desire to have a Scenera around just for the sake of cuteness. :p So I will probably just use a seat I have.

Oh, I thought you meant that you were going to buy another seat for travel, sorry!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Oh, I thought you meant that you were going to buy another seat for travel, sorry!

Well, if I do it will have to be a Foonf. :love:

I already have two Radians (in use in our two main vehicles), the Roundabout 55 (which now will become the one that gets thrown into the pickup truck probably), a Complete Air SE (which is just there because it's pretty and hasn't even been used yet), a Frontier 85 (just, well, you know... in case I need to transport a big kid or something) the OBA (in case we have another baby) and a smattering of boosters. And of course the CCO.

And I only have one child under the age of 16. :cool: I'm trying to tell myself I really don't need any more car seats. LOL.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Huh, weird. The padding doesn't stick up far on my Coccoro.

That is weird! Mine compresses at least half an inch when I press on it. I would have assumed they'd all be the same.

This is an early-2011 model CCO (before they switched to the 3 lb minimum).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah on mine the white line is just at the top of the shell.

I've washed my cover a bajliion times, so maybe it's lost some of it's fluff.

oliviacw

I'd love to hear what you decide on and why. We recently bought a Coccoro as a travel seat (we travel a lot) but I know it won't last forever! I'm watching what others use as travel seats so I can have sone idea of the option for when my daughter does outgrow it in a couple of years. (She's tiny, so it may last until she is close to 2.5 or 3.)

lovemybabybug

I'd take the RA. I am always afraid to take the RN when I go somewhere because I am afraid it wont fit in whatever car I will be riding in at the destination. We just went to Brazil and I lugged the MA 65 with us. It would have been nice yo be able to throw the RN over my shoulder, but knowing the MA would fit virtually anywhere made me that instead.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think it depends on where we're going. If I'm getting a mid-sized or bigger rental car I might take the Radian and pack an angle adjuster. If we're going to be doing taxis I'll probably take the RA55.

If we are ever able to fulfill my dream of flying to Sweden to buy a Volvo and ship it back with a Swedish car seat installed in it (if that's even possible) I'll probably take the CCO for FF on the plane and just use the Swedish seat while we tour Europe for a few months... LOL! But that's just a pipe dream. :D

java

I would probably pic the ra55 over a radian...just because it is lighter! But I think it installs easier and I would be afraid of getting the radian somewhere that I couldn't install right rfing.

And the RA55:
web.jpg

I didn't have my tape measure handy when I took this one but it looks like about 3 or 4 inches to the top.

Is it bad that I am considering a cco for my almost 2yo? (if it helps my case I have a 3 mth old too hehe)

Here is my DD last week in the ra55. I am trying to compare your dd to mine...I'm thinking mine has 2inches give or take more than yours. Which means she would still fit in the cco for a while!
DSC_0617.jpg

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I am not sure how accurate the placement of the Britax label is from one seat to the next, but for reference DD's head is even with the top of the Britax label (when measured from the side, perpendicular to the seat shell). Maybe that will help with reference.

java

I am not sure how accurate the placement of the Britax label is from one seat to the next, but for reference DD's head is even with the top of the Britax label (when measured from the side, perpendicular to the seat shell). Maybe that will help with reference.

If the label is the same then that would only be about an inch. I think my ra55 loks bigger because I think the brown part is wider than the black on yours....so maybe there isn't a huge difference. I just measured her and she has grown an inch all torso on me...she is not 31.5 inches tall with a 12 inch torso. Any idea how tall yours is to the top of her head? Mine is 18.5 inches.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC