FFing seat for 32lb 4 year old

Kimberly

Looking for a bit of shopping help. We have 2 vehicles (Matrix & 2000 CRV) and need to purchase another FFing seat for our 4 year old. Her seat was passed along to the 7 month old. She currently uses a Radian FFing in the CRV, and is nowhere near the limit, obviously, so will stay harnessed for a long time.

I remember reading somewhere that the RadianXT didn't make a great booster? We need a seat in the other car and thought it would make sense to use something that is great FFing and as a booster. We were thinking Nautilus or FrontierXT - and since we are in the city this weekend when we can actually see them, thought I would see if anyone has an opinion on any pros and cons of either seat? She travels in both cars fairly equally so my husband already okayed the purchased of a seat that will not be cheap :) he hates being frustrated by a seat that is less-than-easy to use, works for me!

ADS

tam_shops

Nautilus

toy cubby
price
installs well middle and outboard passenger in 05 Matrix

Dislike
new style buckles
son can not do the buckles up himself

Frontier

children can do buckles themselves
converts too great booster
If you have a very tall or very heavy child this is a better choice. It has harness to 65# and 20" torso height for a child (so 15# more and 2" taller--not an issue for a thin or short child).

Dislike
Price
Disliked how the *old* style installed in my Matrix, no idea w/ the new style--so try or ask before you buy.

tam

Last edited:

SynEpona

I remember reading somewhere that the RadianXT didn't make a great booster?

I can't make any suggestions as my son went from Radian straight to booster in my car, and is still in a Radian in DH's truck. For a child that is already FFng, it doesn't seem like a smart purchase unless you need the narrow harness option for a tight location.

However, if at 4yo, your child is 32lb, I'd agree that the Diono Radian will not make a good booster at all. It has a minimum of 50lb to use the booster, and she'd likely be too tall for it by the time she gets to 50lb, unless she's also very short?

One of the other combo seats that doesn't waste function rear-facing when you won't need it for this child, is probably a much better choice!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Nautilus

If you have a very tall or very heavy child this is a better choice. It has harness to 80# and 20" torso height for a child (so 15# more and 2" taller--not an issue for a thin or short child).

tam
To clarify- the Frontier only goes to 65 lbs. in Canada, as only special-needs seats can be certified above that.

Kimberly

Thanks for your comments. Our daughter is average for height I believe, but definitely slight so it would rake her forever to get to the 50lbs! I am hoping we will be able to see both of them while in the city so we can try them out before we buy.

tam_shops

To clarify- the Frontier only goes to 65 lbs. in Canada, as only special-needs seats can be certified above that.

THANKS! I can't believe I wrote that, was thinking about the difference in weight between the Maestro and Nautilus for those few #s and went in the wrong direction!

Indeed the highest weight harness we have in Canada is 65#, sorry for any confusion!

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC