MA70 how long until outgrown RF?

lovemy2kidstw

I noticed today that DS only has a few inches above his head in his MA70. So typically how long does it take a child to grow that much? He is 19.5 mo old & at his 18 mo checkup he was almost 24 lbs & 34.5 in tall. He has a huge torso! His torso & his 3 yr old sisters are almost the same, she just has super long legs. Why did Britax have to go & make a shorter shell?! :(. DH will not be happy if we have to get a new seat in a few months, he already thinks I'm crazy when it comes to car seats. I'm not sure what DS's torso height is, he is napping right now. He wears 18-24 month shirts & onesies. Thanks :)

View attachment 16606

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Looks like you probably have at least a year, probably more. He's at that age where his legs will start to catch up with his sister's and his torso will slow the mega growth. You really want to look from the side more, though it IS an adorable view of him from the front :love:

MommaKellie

Wow he does have a long torso. My dd is 1 month younger in a boulevard and weighs the same ans she has several inches.

lovemy2kidstw

MommaKellie said:
Wow he does have a long torso. My dd is 1 month younger in a boulevard and weighs the same ans she has several inches.

Yeah he does! I still see him being little & then today I was like whoa he has gotten tall. When him & DD sit next to each other, she is only a couple inches taller & that's only because her head is bigger.

lovemy2kidstw

I wanted to update this. We had to turn DS around last week. I didn't want to post this & get flamed for having a 22 month old FF. He seriously has a mega torso. He is on the same slot as my 3.5 yr old DD. We aren't going to buy another seat to keep him RF, DH & I compromised on having him RF until 2 or when he outgrew the seat & we aren't having anymore kids, so passing the seat down isn't an option. I feel great because I kept him RF longer than anyone I know or probably anyone in my town. I also feel bad because every time I get on here, I see someone else being attacked for not buying a new seat to keep their under 2 yr old RF. I have also seen people say that it's not safe & I disagree. It's not 'safest' but it is 'safe'. I guess this kind of turned into a vent, but everyones situation is different & I'm tired of seeing countless posts where people are made to feel like horrible parents because they don't RF their children until 3-5.

Baylor

lovemy2kidstw said:
I wanted to update this. We had to turn DS around last week. I didn't want to post this & get flamed for having a 22 month old FF. He seriously has a mega torso. He is on the same slot as my 3.5 yr old DD. We aren't going to buy another seat to keep him RF, DH & I compromised on having him RF until 2 or when he outgrew the seat & we aren't having anymore kids, so passing the seat down isn't an option. I feel great because I kept him RF longer than anyone I know or probably anyone in my town. I also feel bad because every time I get on here, I see someone else being attacked for not buying a new seat to keep their under 2 yr old RF. I have also seen people say that it's not safe & I disagree. It's not 'safest' but it is 'safe'. I guess this kind of turned into a vent, but everyones situation is different & I'm tired of seeing countless posts where people are made to feel like horrible parents because they don't RF their children until 3-5.

You made an educated decision with all you know. Great job mama.

auto correct hates me

DMS721

My oldest had an insanely huge torso. Still does! He wears 4T tops, yet only 24 month sized pants. Lol. At the time the recommendation was only 1 for RF, and we made it to 18 months. At at point, he was just too tall to RF. He had all the leg room In The world in his seat, but it was his torso that did him in! As soon as he turned 2, we moved him from his convertible seat to the Frontier 85, and he has been a much happier traveler. My second was a preemie and has some health issues and isn't even on the growth chart. He is almost a year old, and he will easily make it to 2 yrs RF.

You did the best you could, and at the end of the day you need to do what is best for your family!

Dawn

atw

You can certainly see why britax elicits passionate responses from techs though.

I have to defend the techs here, though, I actually don't often see them suggesting things that aren't realistic for someone, or true. I think there aren't as many broad sweeping statements as you say, and many if not all try to tailor responses. If a new seats not realistic, fine, and if you are fine with your decision, great. However, many posters to this board have varying levels of comfort with your decision. It's unfair to ask them not to share knowledge of statistics and biology while considering their own feelings.

Rear facing until 4 or longer is best practice. End of story.

Regardless, meeting the limits of the seat is something to be proud of. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

canadiangie

What a confusing thread. Or maybe I'm just tired. :confused:

A pic was posted of the child (right?) and a Jools figured he had a year to go before outgrowing the seat rf. Then OP comes back eight weeks later to say they turned the child ff, and thinks she will get flamed for it. Then if I'm reading correctly (I swear, are like ten posts missing or something??) OP also posts how terrible it is around here because of perceived pressure to buy additional seats and/or rf to at least age 2; ideally up to age 4, if possible.

Good lord, I'm so lost.

I'll just assume OP is venting, for some reason, because I see no one in this thread flaming her, and I'm here daily and rarely see anyone up on a soapbox telling people to do anything they don't want. This is such a politically correct board when it comes to "delivering the message" that the only flaming I see on a semi regular basis is people telling other people to chill out and respect the choices of others, especially choices made after careful thought and research, or when a kid outgrows a seat by height or weight and "for as long as possible" has been reached.

But, like I said, I'm very confused by this entire thread. :eek:

lovemy2kidstw

atw said:
You can certainly see why britax elicits passionate responses from techs though.

I have to defend the techs here, though, I actually don't often see them suggesting things that aren't realistic for someone, or true. I think there aren't as many broad sweeping statements as you say, and many if not all try to tailor responses. If a new seats not realistic, fine, and if you are fine with your decision, great. However, many posters to this board have varying levels of comfort with your decision. It's unfair to ask them not to share knowledge of statistics and biology while considering their own feelings.

Rear facing until 4 or longer is best practice. End of story.

Regardless, meeting the limits of the seat is something to be proud of. Congratulations.

I am a tech & I'm certainly not saying everyone is suggesting things that are not realistic. I however have seen quite a few posts where people have flamed people for FF before 2, when they didn't consider the circumstances.

I agree completely that rear facing as long as the limits of the seat is best practice. That is what I have done. I wish my DS didn't have a giant torso.

lovemy2kidstw

canadiangie said:
What a confusing thread. Or maybe I'm just tired. :confused:

A pic was posted of the child (right?) and a Jools figured he had a year to go before outgrowing the seat rf. Then OP comes back eight weeks later to say they turned the child ff, and thinks she will get flamed for it. Then if I'm reading correctly (I swear, are like ten posts missing or something??) OP also posts how terrible it is around here because of perceived pressure to buy additional seats and/or rf to at least age 2; ideally up to age 4, if possible.

Good lord, I'm so lost.

I'll just assume OP is venting, for some reason, because I see no one in this thread flaming her, and I'm here daily and rarely see anyone up on a soapbox telling people to do anything they don't want. This is such a politically correct board when it comes to "delivering the message" that the only flaming I see on a semi regular basis is people telling other people to chill out and respect the choices of others, especially choices made after careful thought and research, or when a kid outgrows a seat by height or weight and "for as long as possible" has been reached.

But, like I said, I'm very confused by this entire thread. :eek:

I'll try to clear up your confusion some. Yes, I posted a picture of my son in his seat & asked how much longer he would last RF because getting a new seat wasn't a possibility. Yes, I thought I would get flamed because I have seen several others that have a child under 2 FF for different reasons get flamed. I already feel guilty enough having him FF before 2. I know it is safest to RF till 2-4, but that isn't always real life.

Yes, I did say it turned into a vent in the post. I didn't want to say , yes, I have a 22 month old who is FF & then have everyone tell me that he is not 'safe'. This is what I am talking about seeing on other threads. I know he is not 'safest' FF, but he is 'safe' in a properly used & installed FF seat. I know it would be safer to take public transportation than being in a vehicle, but that isn't an option here.

Everyone IRL that I have told that we turned him FF, doesn't understand my mixed emotions about it, because they all FF at 1 if not before, so it's not a big deal to them. That is why I figured I would update the thread, because people here would understand.

atw

I am a tech & I'm certainly not saying everyone is suggesting things that are not realistic. I however have seen quite a few posts where people have flamed people for FF before 2, when they didn't consider the circumstances.

I agree completely that rear facing as long as the limits of the seat is best practice. That is what I have done. I wish my DS didn't have a giant torso.

Can we correct that on those posts then, instead of here? That would serve the board much better than the update.
ETA: I get coming here to commiserate and for validation, so I'm glad you clarified

Stelvis

I know people say torso growth slows down at a certain age, but in DS's case, it didn't. He also would have outgrown the BLVD 70 around 22-23 months. Luckily, he had a TrueFit to move into. But sometimes on here I see techs say with confidence that torsoes don't grow more than an inch a year, or that they stop growing so fast at a certain age, and really, that's not true for all kids. DS has grown about 2" more of torso over the year from 3-4. And probably 1" of that happened over the course of about 6 weeks.

atw

My son is also rich in torso. ;) he's 10 months and filling out 18 month onesies...I'm totally worried we won't make our goal, even with radian. We basically skipped 3-6 m clothes, he outgrew sr by height around 7 months, and I thought he would slow...

At least I mostly stopped buying onesies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC