Just for fun... (I'm such a geek. lol)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I did 3 across in my saturn outlook tonight with a radian, a SS1 and a Marathon.

I'll try and get a pic in the daylight tomorrow, but had to take this tonight just because. :p

radianoutlookinstalls016.jpg

The SS1 and the Radian are a VERY tight fit next to each other. The SS1 base is wide though, so I'm sure even a slightly narrower seat or a differently shaped base would fit with ease. There's a good bit of room between the Marathon and the Radian.

So right now, the plan is to try dd in the Radian, use the MA for ds sometimes - like when we're in and out a lot and sure he won't be falling asleep, and then use the SS1 if we're out late or need the carrier. Once we get a feel for how dd likes the Radian, then we'll switch back to just using the SS and put dd in whichever seat.. I might just leave her in the Radian in the middle because it fits better in the middle than the MA - albeit a much harder install. :rolleyes:

So, anyone else ever messed around with car seats around midnight? :eek: :whistle:

ADS

mommycat

What year is your Outlook? Or better yet, what is the width of the seat you installed on? I haven't tried it yet, but was sort of hoping to get my Radian in the center beside the SS1 in my Honda Civic. It LOOKS darn near impossible, but I haven't actually tried any side-by-side installs before. Here's what I found on-line re: the two vehicles...

2007 Honda Civic
rear hip room 51 inches

2007 Saturn Outlook
far rear hip room 48.3 inches / 2nd row 57.9 inches

How much room do you have between the door and the SS1? I assume that you need to install it a bit further to the side than you normally would to get it to fit? Can you do this with LATCH or does it have to be in with a seatbelt to get more flexibility on the base position?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow, that's cool Trudy! :) :thumbsup:

mommycat-- I doubt it is impossible in a 2007 Civic. I can fit a Snugride next to a Scenera in my 2006 Civic (same body, same backseat), IF I use a seatbelt installation for both seats. I think you should be able to do a Radian and SS1, then. It might be tough, but it should work.

mommycat

Thanks. I may just leave them both outboard, it sounds like a lot of hassle for the off-chance that I will want to bring a 3rd adult along... I am kind of liking the gap between the seats with them both outboard, DS won't be able to pick on baby that way...

snowbird25ca

HAhaha CRS - I'm thinking yours is a yes? Or was yours more like 2am? :p

It's rather satisfying doing this - somewhat frustrating as well when I couldn't get the MA rf'ing to puzzle next to the SS1 when they fit so well with the MA ff'ing. :shrugshoulders: I'd have more options though if I wasn't trying to put dd in the middle... she's been outboard mostly all along, but if I can get her in the middle, then I figure I might as well.

What year is your Outlook? Or better yet, what is the width of the seat you installed on? I haven't tried it yet, but was sort of hoping to get my Radian in the center beside the SS1 in my Honda Civic. It LOOKS darn near impossible, but I haven't actually tried any side-by-side installs before. Here's what I found on-line re: the two vehicles...

2007 Honda Civic
rear hip room 51 inches

2007 Saturn Outlook
far rear hip room 48.3 inches / 2nd row 57.9 inches

How much room do you have between the door and the SS1? I assume that you need to install it a bit further to the side than you normally would to get it to fit? Can you do this with LATCH or does it have to be in with a seatbelt to get more flexibility on the base position?

You might be able to. It'll depend on how evenly the middle seating position is split with the outboard seats.

I have a 60/40 bench, and the middle position and driver outboard are a bit smaller than the 40 section. I have a couple of inches between the marathon and the radian, but the radian and SS1 have no room to spare. My backseat is quite contoured, and the SS1 is slightly outside the contoured area although it's still on the vehicle seat itself. Both are installed with seatbelts. It would be a much easier fit if I didn't have fixed metal buckle stalks though - so that's why I say you might be able to do it... will depend on how your arm-rests hit though and all of that.

Best way to find out is to try. :thumbsup:

cdncasper

I am glad I am not the only one who plays with carseats at really strange times. My reason is it is cooler so less sweating.

mommycat

HAhaha CRS - I'm thinking yours is a yes? Or was yours more like 2am? :p

It's rather satisfying doing this - somewhat frustrating as well when I couldn't get the MA rf'ing to puzzle next to the SS1 when they fit so well with the MA ff'ing. :shrugshoulders: I'd have more options though if I wasn't trying to put dd in the middle... she's been outboard mostly all along, but if I can get her in the middle, then I figure I might as well.

You might be able to. It'll depend on how evenly the middle seating position is split with the outboard seats.

I have a 60/40 bench, and the middle position and driver outboard are a bit smaller than the 40 section. I have a couple of inches between the marathon and the radian, but the radian and SS1 have no room to spare. My backseat is quite contoured, and the SS1 is slightly outside the contoured area although it's still on the vehicle seat itself. Both are installed with seatbelts. It would be a much easier fit if I didn't have fixed metal buckle stalks though - so that's why I say you might be able to do it... will depend on how your arm-rests hit though and all of that.

Best way to find out is to try. :thumbsup:
I don't have a split seat, so the sides should be even, I think. I am leery to even try anything since I had a b*tch of a time getting the Radian in. I have it in with LATCH because I just wasn't happy with my belt install, and even that involved DH helping latch it in and big bruises on my shoulder from pressing on the ceiling... Maybe it would get easier with practice. At least the SS1 went in super-easy, I put it in with LATCH as well though. If we finally have a clinic in our area (they've had to cancel 2 over the summer due to a lack of tech volunteers) I will get them to try to do it then.

snowbird25ca

I don't have a split seat, so the sides should be even, I think. I am leery to even try anything since I had a b*tch of a time getting the Radian in. I have it in with LATCH because I just wasn't happy with my belt install, and even that involved DH helping latch it in and big bruises on my shoulder from pressing on the ceiling... Maybe it would get easier with practice. At least the SS1 went in super-easy, I put it in with LATCH as well though. If we finally have a clinic in our area (they've had to cancel 2 over the summer due to a lack of tech volunteers) I will get them to try to do it then.

Seatbelt is so incredibly easier than LATCH with the SS1 base - seriously. That built in lock-off makes it just as easy if not easier than a marathon. Just thought you might like to try it in the future. It has given me just as solid an install and no messing around with a latch belt and hooks. :thumbsup:

mommycat

Really? Because the LATCH was pretty darned easy! :)

The Radian on the other hand... :lol: Maybe I will try next week, I am done work tomorrow and will have more time to relax.

snowbird25ca

Really? Because the LATCH was pretty darned easy! :)

The Radian on the other hand... :lol: Maybe I will try next week, I am done work tomorrow and will have more time to relax.

Yeah, seriously - I say easier because it gets rock solid so fast - and then you don't have LATCH connectors to be connecting, disconnecting and putting back on the base etc. And no tilting of the base because the seatbelt isn't locked. It's seriously so quick. I never even tried LATCH with it because I wanted to try the lock-off, then it was so easy I see no reason to bother with going through the bother of using LATCH. :cool:

I move my base around quite often in my truck - it takes me 30 secs or so if that... couldn't do it that fast with LATCH. ;)

But yeah, the Radian is a beast to install with the seatbelt in my truck too... and I'm currently sporting bruises on my legs from it. :rolleyes: Most of them from playing with it in my 3rd row though.. Although I have found after redoing it a couple times that it did get quicker and easier once I knew what tricks I was using. :thumbsup: But I don't think I'd change the location of my radian just for the heck of it - whereas the SS and MA I've moved just for going camping or whatever.

I started using the seatbelt on my MA when it's ff'ing too actually, when it's ff'ing the lock-offs are just as easy and that way I just leave the LATCH routed for rf'ing. Makes it simple to change from rf'ing to ff'ing with it. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC