Recaro ProSport

MustangMama

I've been eyeballing this seat for my Camaro when the little one goes FF.

Like it?

Love it?

Tell me all about it.

I need to find a local store to see if they have one in stock I could try in the back seat.

ADS

TyAndCheyMommy

We have a recaro prosport and a britax regent, and to be honest- unless you need the extra support of the prosport caused by the narrower seat or need the smaller size- I would go for a britax regent. That extra harness room is worth it.
Besides that we liked the seat. It was easy to install. It has a smaller "imprint" on the seat. It was easy to adjust.
The cover however was a stain sucker. Everything- including water- left stains.

MustangMama

We have a recaro prosport and a britax regent, and to be honest- unless you need the extra support of the prosport caused by the narrower seat or need the smaller size- I would go for a britax regent. That extra harness room is worth it.
Besides that we liked the seat. It was easy to install. It has a smaller "imprint" on the seat. It was easy to adjust.
The cover however was a stain sucker. Everything- including water- left stains.

There is no way a Regent will fit in my back seat :p Seriously.

crunchierthanthou

I like it well enough with LATCH installs. The seatbelt routing is weird and the shoulder belt sometimes interferes with the harness. I think it's odd that they say to undo the tether at 52 lbs, but neither of my kids are going to be anywhere near that before they're done with a harness so it's not a huge concern.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I like it well enough with LATCH installs. The seatbelt routing is weird and the shoulder belt sometimes interferes with the harness. I think it's odd that they say to undo the tether at 52 lbs, but neither of my kids are going to be anywhere near that before they're done with a harness so it's not a huge concern.

:yeahthat:

firemomof3

We have a ProSport that I keep in dh's truck. Both my kids prefer the GN but don't dislike the ProSport. I HATE that stupid tether rule though, it makes no sense and it just infuriates me. My ds is almost 50lbs. and I will be selling it at that point :mad:

HaileysMommy

crunchierthanthou said:

This exactly. My PS is my fav FF seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The tether is kind of a deal-breaker for me. It is short enough I'd not get much use of it anyway, but I object so strongly even if I had a super-short-torso kid I wouldn't buy it because of that.

jeminijad

Eh, so its not the seat for a 50lb 4 year old. Although the open belt path does make me feel a whole lot better about using it untethered anyway (assuming lap/shoulder belt.)

We really like ours... it is great for sleeping.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
We have a ProSport and I like it a lot....my son loves it!

What is the deal with the tether? Does any one feel comfortable using the PS tether beyond the 52lbs? It seems like using it beyond would fall under the same reason we are ok using anchors beyond their limits...by the time it failed it has done its job?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My biggest problem is not the rule itself (I doubt most of my kids would fit in the harness at 52 lbs anyway) but the way they've handled inquiries about it. We have NO INFORMATION on why, or what could happen, etc. because they haven't given us any when various people have asked. I believe the official answer was "we just didn't test it that way"- well then why discontinue it at that weight? Why not test it? Why choose that weight? There HAS to be a reason it was done that way and I want to know what it is. They can't claim it's because of not wanting to surpass vehicle anchor limits because most are either 40 or 48 if one is given.

jess71903

Ambassador

What is the deal with the tether? Does any one feel comfortable using the PS tether beyond the 52lbs? It seems like using it beyond would fall under the same reason we are ok using anchors beyond their limits...by the time it failed it has done its job?

As a tech, I couldn't tell a client to do that, but if it comes to it, I totally will use it tethered over 52lbs for exactly the reason you stated.

Jessica61624

DaniCPST said:

I'm curious too. I still don't think I'd use it beyond 52lb limit. The TT limit isn't stated in my cars manual. Were the prosport limit is clearly in the manual.

HaileysMommy

jess71903 said:
As a tech, I couldn't tell a client to do that, but if it comes to it, I totally will use it tethered over 52lbs for exactly the reason you stated.

I didn't read in detail but I thought the manual said to discontinue LATCH at 52lbs also? and that you couldn't use just a lap belt past 52lbs bc of no tether? So is it assumed the 3pt belt is good enough to take place of the tether after 52lbs? Maybe it has magical powers do a 3pt is sufficient?

bnsnyde

My 5-year-old is almost even with the slots.
Other than that I love it.
But as he can't stay harnessed in it for long...well, that's annoying.

I called Recaro about the 52 lbs. and read some posts...and I tether forever. They didn't tell me anything bad about it. That was what it was tested to. I think my son is 51 lbs.

I do seatbelt. So easy.

kathysr98

I love mine. On the off chance that dd is still in it at 52lbs I will continue to tt, just like I would continue to tt past the weight limit of any other seat. I find the open belt path super easy to use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC