Suburban or Yukon XL- placement question

Jenny487

Hello!

We currently have 3 children:
5 yo daughter 32 lbs 33 inches tall FF in Marathon,
3 yo daughter 28 lbs 31 inches tall FF Boulevard 65 and
22 month old son RF in Boulevard 70 24 lbs, 30 inches tall (maybe?).

We are considering a 4th baby...And we also want to buy a Suburban or Yukon XL (have an 07 Uplander now). I am wondering if it is feasible to have a rear facing infant seat in the 3rd row next to my 5 yo daughter. Her Marathon expires in January 2013, but I expect her to be harnessed for quite some time as she is so small. She has a condition that inhibits growth (Turner's Syndrome) so I do not anticipate any growth spurts. I will most likely be purchasing a Nautilus or Frontier 85 for her.

Because there are only 3 TT in these vehicles, I need to put someone rear facing in 3rd row until my 5 yo is ready for booster mode. Any thoughts? I'm open to other vehicle suggestions, too! I looked into the Honda Pilot to put my oldest girls in the 3rd row together, but overall want more cargo room. Thanks!

ADS

lovemy2kidstw

Jenny487 said:
Hello!

We currently have 3 children:
5 yo daughter 32 lbs 33 inches tall FF in Marathon,
3 yo daughter 28 lbs 31 inches tall FF Boulevard 65 and
22 month old son RF in Boulevard 70 24 lbs, 30 inches tall (maybe?).

We are considering a 4th baby...And we also want to buy a Suburban or Yukon XL (have an 07 Uplander now). I am wondering if it is feasible to have a rear facing infant seat in the 3rd row next to my 5 yo daughter. Her Marathon expires in January 2013, but I expect her to be harnessed for quite some time as she is so small. She has a condition that inhibits growth (Turner's Syndrome) so I do not anticipate any growth spurts. I will most likely be purchasing a Nautilus or Frontier 85 for her.

Because there are only 3 TT in these vehicles, I need to put someone rear facing in 3rd row until my 5 yo is ready for booster mode. Any thoughts? I'm open to other vehicle suggestions, too! I looked into the Honda Pilot to put my oldest girls in the 3rd row together, but overall want more cargo room. Thanks!

There are 4 TT's in my 08 suburban. It has a bench 2nd row & two seats in the 3rd row. You could always have another TT retrofitted if the vehicle you get only has 3.

hrice

There are 4 TTs in my '07 Yukon XL. There are 3 across the middle row and 1 in the 3rd that can be used for the center or driver side seating position (but not at the same time). There are 2 sets of LATCH in the middle row (center and passenger side).

I can't see any rear facing seat besides a Coccoro fitting in the 3rd row. The Coccoro is unique because you can install it more upright and the newborn insert creates an internal 45 degree angle (does that make sense?).

Jenny487

I guess I should have clarified, we wanted the model with the 2 captains chairs, as it would be really hard to access one child in the rear seat with 3 car seats in the middle. :)

The bench seat model is an option if there isn't any other option for that 3rd row.

gagenivy

I could be thinking of the wrong seat, but I didn't think the frontier 85 could be RF? We have an '04 Yukon XL and I have never tried a RF seat in the third row (quad seating like you were thinking) but I can't see how it would be an issue.

Jenny487

The Frontier 85 would be the new seat for my FF 5 yo when her Marathon expires in January. :) You're right, it is definitely NOT a RF seat! I was thinking of putting an infant seat next to her if we had a 4th baby in the next year.

P1ally

I vote odyssey. You can even slide the 2 captains chairs together so you have easy access to the 3rd row. I personally find the 3rd row of the yukon to be a nightmare.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I was able to get a Marathon (classic) ff'ing in the third row of my Yukon XL behind a captains chair but it was pretty upright. I can get a Peg Perego infant seat rf'ing in the center of the third row and I want to say baseless behind a captains chair but I am not positive if I am remembering that correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Kegracin

I vote odyssey. You can even slide the 2 captains chairs together so you have easy access to the 3rd row. I personally find the 3rd row of the yukon to be a nightmare.

I agree with this. I love my Yukon but it some times makes me want to rip my hair out... However in my 03 I was able to get a RF MA70 in the third row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC