Car seat on a boat - give me reasons why this is a bad idea

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
So, I had someone ask me yesterday about somehow attaching a car seat to a boat (obstensibly to keep a child contained?). I said it was a bad idea, but I'd like to have a bunch of reasons, in case they come back with "why the heck not?"

They actually brought it up because I mentioned my Marathon was expiring next week, and I would be sad to cut it to bits. They wanted to see if I would sell them my Marathon to use on their pontoon boat. I said (and I quote), "o_O"

My first thought was that, if a kid was strapped into a car seat, that means they AREN'T wearing a lifevest. And then, if something were to happen to the boat, baby would be trapped in a car seat, rather than bobbing in the water in said life vest.

Any other good reasons?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My first thought was that, if a kid was strapped into a car seat, that means they AREN'T wearing a lifevest. And then, if something were to happen to the boat, baby would be trapped in a car seat, rather than bobbing in the water in said life vest.

Yeah, those are pretty good reasons. I don't know why you'd need any more reasons than that.

My child wears a life vest on a boat. Period. And I would not want to attach the child to the boat.

I don't think I've ever seen a boat with seat belts either, probably for some of the same reasons.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
:eek:

Um, yeah...if the boat were hit or hit a big wave or were rocked by a passing boat's wake and were to overturn...that child would surely die.

Lifejackets...absolutely!!!!

Car restraint...NO!!!

mamakc

I would maybe use one as a comfortable child sized seat, harness removed, if I could attach it securely. Because I know with my children at least, they have a habit of staying put if they are in a car seat. Bucked or not.

Eta: but definitely life jacket on, not buckled in to the car seat

-Krista
DD~5~Monterey & Dreamtime
DS~3~Complete Air 65 LX & Maestro
DN~1~Complete Air LX

Brianna

I wouldn't want a child attached to a boat at all. If anything I'd have the kid in a lifejacket then on a wrist leash.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I just sort of looked at them (they're fairly new parents, with a 4-ish month old?). No, that's a terrible idea.

I would maybe use one as a comfortable child sized seat, harness removed, if I could attach it securely. Because I know with my children at least, they have a habit of staying put if they are in a car seat. Bucked or not.

Eta: but definitely life jacket on, not buckled in to the car seat

That's an idea though - maybe they're just thinking they need a place to stick him? And the marathon does resemble a Barca-lounger.

hedgefun

I agree with your reasons and what the other posters have mentioned. An appropriate (well-fitting, tested before first use, etc.) life jacket will be the safest thing for the child to be wearing on the boat. I can't imagine any circumstance when a car seat on a boat would be anything other than a very dangerous idea.

I believe that all children under 13 are required to wear a life jacket unless they're below deck (federal law). Some states may have separate requirements. Personally I believe they should be worn regardless of what the law says, but it may strengthen your argument.

If the boat capsizes, everyone should be able to float safely. Deadly situation if a child is stuck in a restraint of any kind.

ETA: Just saw your post that they have a 4 month old. The coast guard has some info on their website about children under 18 pounds on boats:

Question: What PFD does the Coast Guard recommend for infants.

USCG response: The Coast Guard does not recommend taking infants onboard a recreational boat. The PFDs currently available for newborns up to 18 pounds may not provide a proper fit to perform as expected. Unless the parent is able to test their newborns out in a PFD, sized for infants, in a swimming pool, they will not know if that device will float their child with his/her head out of the water. You must be sure you know the PFD you have works for your infant. Otherwise we recommend the child not be exposed to any risk in a boat on the water.

Link to where that came from: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfdselection.asp

mama2girls

If I was taking a baby that little on a boat I'd have them in some type of carrier (as in attached to my body). I can't imagine trying to hang onto them in any kind of emergency situation.

cmcki737

We have a boat and have taken out DD out when she was 8 months and the only safe option is in a life vest made for infants being held by a sitting adult. Unfortunately the boat rides do not last that long and I wouldn't call them enjoyable but it is the only safe way I can think of.

teekadog

I knew a family who took their infant on a boat. Infant was buckled in a bucket. Boat capsized. Bucket was found floating upside down. My heart still hurts for them.

rxmommy

2 years ago 2 couples were on a boat with their babies - both babies in carseats (bucket seats I assume from the age of the babies). No lifejackets for any person on board. Boat capsized. One of the dads died. Probably pretty lucky neither of the babies did. I can't imagine trying to get a baby out of a carseat in an emergency....

Yes, it's annoying when young children don't sit still on boats but they were lifejackets, period. Nothing else. I wouldn't want them in a carrier either - how would I grab my own lifejacket then?

TyAndCheyMommy

I have used a car seat for my daughter on our boat. She is 5 and unable to sit on her own. She is also to large to expect to hold on to the entire time. Her wheelchair is also to heavy to put on a boat (350lb power chair).
That being said- I did modify an old car seat to work.
The seat is strapped in not with a seat belt, but a large velcro strap. In the case of an emergency it could easily be "ripped" from the seat.
She is not in a car seat harness, it is another set of velcro straps (smaller). She also wears a special life vest that is thin enough to fit in the straps.

I am fully aware of the risks, and we take all precautions for our children when on the boat. We do not often take her on the boat, and when we do we are better able to control the circumstances- for example on a small pond with calm water and no other boats.

I am explaining this because of the comment about not having a reason to have a child restrained on a boat.

katymyers

teekadog said:
I knew a family who took their infant on a boat. Infant was buckled in a bucket. Boat capsized. Bucket was found floating upside down. My heart still hurts for them.

That is the exact mental picture I got when I read the post. It breaks my heart that it actually happened to someone.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The parents of young kids who are in my parents' yacht club have practically raised their children on their boats. They don't use carseats on the boat, but they do have Pack n Plays on their boats. Those work for having a PLACE to put a baby, but the baby is not strapped down in any way.

Down below, the parents often use netting to make a berth and/or settee safe for sleeping and playing.

The lifelines are fully netted for safety.

finn

We use a car seat on my parents boat all the time.

For those who worry about capsizing, what size boat are you sailing on & in what weather?

The rule is always & always has been, don't fall overboard, so when we were kids we had life jackets & life harnesses on, now we have flasher life jackets, that are inflatable with in-built harnesses & we are always connected to the boat. Keeping babies contained is the best way to stop them falling overboard, we sail for 5+ hours at a time, there is no way you can hold a wriggly/crawling/walking/climbing baby for that amount of time & whoever said they would wear their baby has never tried to wear a ssc over a life jacket lol

If for some completely unfathomable reason the boat did capsize we each have an assigned task, my Dad gets the life raft, my Mum gets the grab bag, I get dd & dh gets ds, dd is the only one not wearing a life jacket & none of us wear them if we are downstairs but they are always within reach.

There are a couple of other rules, one is stay with the boat, the second is get in the life raft dry lol some boats sink really quickly, but most dont, we also choose our weather very carefully & if the weather did deteriorate, then the kids & I would go downstairs & where dd would be out of her car seat & into her life jacket. :shrug-shoulders:

DSC_0019.jpg

different boat, same result
DSC_0409.jpg

ds in his dingy life jacket
DSC_0106.jpg

ds in his sailing life jacket (you cant see it but he is tethered to the boat)
DSC_0016.jpg

for the record dd always wears her life jacket in the dinghy.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC