Car Seat Advice Needed

U

Unregistered

My daughter is 12 months old - at 29 inches long and 20 pounds, she is just about at the limit for her Graco Snugride Carseat. Can she switch to a forward facing seat at 12 months ? We have a 5 year old Century Next Step that we used for my older son but it can only be used forward facing and I am not sure if I should use it even though she meets the height/weight requirements for the seat. Any recommendations for which carseat to use next or if the Century is fine to use?
Thank You

ADS
At only 12 months you would be safer going into a convertible seat that allows you to rear face longer. The Britax line will allow you to rear face to 33 pounds, and the new Diplomat and Advocate will allow you to go to 35 pounds rear facing.

There are many other car seats on the market that will allow you to keep your child rear facing longer as well. Since 2001, the American Academy of Pediatrics has been advising parents to keep their children rear facing as long as the seat will allow, due to the crash forces found in a frontal crash (the most common type). By keeping the child rear facing, the entire spine rides down the crash force in a crash, allowing better protection to the spinal cord. When turning your child at 12 months, the only part of the child unrestrained is the head. Thus, in a frontal crash, your child's body is restrained by the harness, but his or her head continues to move forward at whatever speed you were going just before the crash. As a result, a forward facing young child, with an undeveloped spinal struture for protection, is more likely to suffer spinal injuries which can not be repaired.

This is why it is so important to keep children rear facing as long as possible. For your particular situation, a rear facing convertible, regardless of brand, would be safer for your child. As long as the seat fits your child, fits your car and can be used correctly every time you use it, any convertible seat you choose should be fine.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Babies outgrow infant seats 1 of 2 ways: either by the weight limit as stated by the manufacturer ... or when there is less than 1 inch of space between the top of the head & inside edge of the plastic shell/frame.

1st step = infant seat or appropriately sized RF convertible
2nd = RF convertible
3rd = FF harness
4th = booster

If you visit my website (specifically the "Newborn -- Preschool" page) you'll learn more about why keeping kids RF until the maximum limits of a convertible carseat is sooooo important.

Carseats also expire within about 6 years from Date of Manufacture.

What is your vehicle year, make, model :confused:
Do you have a budget?

VLsMom

This will show you what happens to a child's body in a forward-facing crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMFPSStXfqE

This shows you how much better protected your child will be rear-facing in a crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62Ea8Fs4ng

The results speak for themselves...please keep her rear-facing.

I wouldn't recommend using the Century seat you have. Instead, get a convertible car seat that has a high rear-facing limit. There are so many options to pick from!

If you are on a budget, go for a Cosco Scenera: This seat has a rear-facing limit to 35 lbs.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5996315

Any Britax convertible goes to 35 lbs. The Marathon and Boulevard are favorites.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance also rear-faces to 35 lbs. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5933974

Hope this helps a little.

Mom2nj

I would definately keep her RF, and there are many seats. If the Britax line is too much, there is also the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, manufactured under the Fisher Price name but made by Britax, just doesn't have the frills such as lockoffs, easier to use Latch and no RF tether and FF to 55lbs You can only find online for about $130. Or your local walmart has the Cosco Scenera for $40, RF up to 35 lbs, not much padding or the step up is the Cosco Uptown, which has the EPS foam and much more plush, around $100. FF only to 40 lbs. Also there is the new Evenflo Triumph ADVANCE which RF to 35 lbs and FF to 50lbs, very nice cushy, EPS around $130+. Good luck in your search.

cryswilkins

Any Britax convertible goes to 35 lbs
. The Marathon and Boulevard are favorites.
Only the two new Britax seats RF to 35 lbs, the Advocate and the Diplomat. All the other convertibles are only 33 lbs. :)

I agree with the the others, get a convertible that can RF and keep her that way until she hits the weight limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC