Question Is there a too high for FF straps?

HaileysMommy

A fellow cso'er asked me a question that I can't answer. Can you have the harness on an FF seat too high? I was thinking that it had something to do in relation to their ears. Ok real life scenario...a kid could technically go down a slot bit if the next slot up isn't ridiculously high is it a big deal for the straps to not be moved down?

ADS

jjordan

Usually the instruction manuals will say to use the harness setting that is closest to shoulder level without going below (or something like that). So using a setting above what you should use is technically misuse. That said, back in the day when lots of seats didn't have all the slots reinforced for FF use, it was possible to have a child FF in a harnessed seat with the straps WAY above their shoulders, and that was the correct harness setting.

I admit that sometimes, for short trips to/from preschool, ds rides in his sister's FF seats and the harness straps are a setting above what they should be for ds. It is technically misuse, but it doesn't bother me.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nope. At or above. Ten years ago usually only the top slot was reinforced, so when the child went forward facing at 20 pounds the straps went up as high as the went in the seat.

Wendy

Baylor

wendytthomas said:
Nope. At or above. Ten years ago usually only the top slot was reinforced, so when the child went forward facing at 20 pounds the straps went up as high as the went in the seat.

Wendy

Interesting. I know it's safe it still looks weird to me.

auto correct hates me

Pixels

Keep in mind that when only the top slot was reinforced for forward facing, that's how the seats were tested and approved. Now that (usually) all slots are reinforced for forward facing, they aren't tested that way. They are tested according to manufacturer's instructions, which (generally) are to use the slots closest to the shoulders that are at or above.

Whether using too-high slots would make a difference in crash performance or not, I don't know. I do know that other things that don't seem like they should make a difference definitely can make a big difference. Therefore, it's not something I'm willing to take a gamble on.

HaileysMommy

Very interesting. Thanks ladies. I carry a lot of foster kids due to my job so it's nice to know that I don't have to switch harness slots over something like a half inch.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC