04-10 Toyota Sienna

crunchierthanthou

What do I need to know about them? I want the 8 passenger (which I know doesn't come with leather :rolleyes:).

I'm not in love with my crossover. I want better fuel economy and power sliding doors while retaining the ability to do 3 across the middle row.

I also don't want a $40,000 2011+ Odyssey. That pretty much leaves the previous generation of Sienna, right?

ADS

Dillipop

The 8 passenger only comes in the CE and LE trims. The CE trim is pretty basic and the LE trim offers more amenities. I have a 2008 8 passenger LE with tinted windows and passenger side power sliding door. Not having the second one has worked out fine for me as the manual one is on the side I get in on anyway, so it's easy to just open it or close it if ds1 forgets.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Side curtain airbags and front side torso airbags became standard for the 2006 model year and were optional for the 2004 and 2005 model years. Traction control with stability control was also optional for the first few model years and became standard later, in the 2007 or 2008 model year if I'm remembering correctly (cars.com probably can help you narrow that down if you research the Sienna by model year there). There are full sets of LATCH in all but the third row driver's side for all 2004-2010 Sienna models, and no top tether anchor on the third row driver's side. Happy shopping. :)

P.S. AWD isn't available in the 8-passenger version which is FWD only just in case you're pondering AWD. AWD was optional for the 2004-2010 7-passenger Sienna LE and higher XLE/XLE Limited trim lines. IIRC the AWD option came with notoriously fast wearing run flat tires.

jjordan

The pre-2011 Odysseys are at least an option, although the 8th seats is not as good for 3-across as the Siennas. But with the right seats it is do-able. Also you can get an 8 passenger with leather. So if that is really important, I'd at least consider it.

Depending on your area, it might be really difficult to find an 8-passenger Sienna. When we were looking at minivans (ended up buying a Sedona), there were probably 15 7-passenger Siennas for every one 8-passenger Sienna. And the 8-passenger Odysseys were very easy to find.

crunchierthanthou

The 8 passenger only comes in the CE and LE trims. The CE trim is pretty basic and the LE trim offers more amenities. I have a 2008 8 passenger LE with tinted windows and passenger side power sliding door. Not having the second one has worked out fine for me as the manual one is on the side I get in on anyway, so it's easy to just open it or close it if ds1 forgets.

Oh, I didn't realize there was an 8 passenger CE, too. I knew LE, but I'll have to keep on an eye on that. Good to know about only one power slider. Honestly, I just want sliding, period.

Side curtain airbags and front side torso airbags became standard for the 2006 model year and were optional for the 2004 and 2005 model years. Traction control with stability control was also optional for the first few model years and became standard later, in the 2007 or 2008 model year if I'm remembering correctly (cars.com probably can help you narrow that down if you research the Sienna by model year there). There are full sets of LATCH in all but the third row driver's side for all 2004-2010 Sienna models, and no top tether anchor on the third row driver's side. Happy shopping. :)

P.S. AWD isn't available in the 8-passenger version which is FWD only just in case you're pondering AWD. AWD was optional for the 2004-2010 7-passenger Sienna LE and higher XLE/XLE Limited trim lines. IIRC the AWD option came with notoriously fast wearing run flat tires.

Thank you! I didn't realize those features became standard. I'm hoping for 2008-2010 anyway. I don't want brand new, but I don't want one nearing 10 years old, either. I think 8 passenger is going to trump AWD. and leather. Both of which I've had for the past 11 years. I really want that 3 across.

The pre-2011 Odysseys are at least an option, although the 8th seats is not as good for 3-across as the Siennas. But with the right seats it is do-able. Also you can get an 8 passenger with leather. So if that is really important, I'd at least consider it.
I don't know if it will work with the seats I'm planning, which I know is silly. We say get seats to fit the vehicle, right? But I want a Foonf, a latchable booster, and room for one more. The Sienna seems to make more sense for that.

Anyone ever reupholster a van? :p Oh, and add a back-up camera. I can't go back to not having one.

Pixels

If you care about towing, you need a 2007 or older. They actually took the tow package off for 2008.

I have three across my second row at the moment. All rear facing: Radian, TrueFit, Avenue. None of the seats even touch each other. I love it.

Dillipop

Oh, I didn't realize there was an 8 passenger CE, too. I knew LE, but I'll have to keep on an eye on that. Good to know about only one power slider. Honestly, I just want sliding, period.

I'm sure you can find one with dual power sliding doors (or none), mine just has the one power one. And honestly, if I didn't have the one power door, I probably wouldn't mind too much. Sliding doors was definitely a huge plus when we were looking for a new vehicle. I am so happy not to have to yell "Don't hit the car next to us!!!!" every single time we got out of the car.

Dillipop

If you care about towing, you need a 2007 or older. They actually took the tow package off for 2008.

I have three across my second row at the moment. All rear facing: Radian, TrueFit, Avenue. None of the seats even touch each other. I love it.

Just wanted to weigh in on my 3 acrosses. Up until this past week, we've had a safeguard child seat, RA50 or TF premier, and latched monterey across the middle. The safeguard and the rfing seat next to it lightly touch but the monterey doesn't.

crunchierthanthou

You just have to complicate things. :p I'm not actually that concerned about it. We have a hitch now and have used it twice in the past 2 years- both times when moving.

That three across sounds lovely. :D

I'm sure you can find one with dual power sliding doors (or none), mine just has the one power one. And honestly, if I didn't have the one power door, I probably wouldn't mind too much. Sliding doors was definitely a huge plus when we were looking for a new vehicle. I am so happy not to have to yell "Don't hit the car next to us!!!!" every single time we got out of the car.

Yes, yes, yes! Except I yell, "Open your door carefully!" I should probably be more specific and tell them to look out for the one next to us.

If I'm going for sliders, I need at least one power one, though. Need.

Chely7425

I have a 2008 8 passenger CE, so no fancy crap. We like it a lot for what it is, though I hate on principal that it is a minivan :p

laudymama

Anyone ever reupholster a van? :p Oh, and add a back-up camera. I can't go back to not having one.

:pWhen we were looking for Siennas I came across an 8 passenger at a dealership.....DH really wanted leather and they said it could be done for about $1k:) It's not cheap, but in the grand scheme of things -especially if you figured that into your budgeted price point- it's really not that much! We really considered it, but ended up with an '08 loaded XLE for a steal of a price. As for adding the backup camera, I know I asked because I wanted that but I can't remember what he said:eek: I wanna say he said no though. HTH! Happy shopping ....you will LOVE it once you're in it no matter what!!

ed_tricia

I have an '04 le with one power door. I love!! my van. I hesitated because I just didn't want that soccer mom image. Love it though! I searched for a long time to find a great deal on an 8 passenger. We only have two kids but have used all eight seats many times. Our most common three across is the two kids and a parent on road trips. My 6'1" dh can sit comfortably in any spot in the van. That was a must for us so we can carpool when family visits. The second row seats are like captain's chairs the way they adjust. You can fit almost anything. I have done nautilus, myride, and truefit together and those are all pretty wide. It also has great cargo space and the third row stows easily. We have fit some large junk with seats installed second row still. Mpg was a downgrade from my little car, but that is the only thing I don't love about it.

sirrahn

We've been super happy with ours. I truly think it's the most practical vehicle around for families with more than 2 kids. The interior materials have held up great...even our "old" van still looks great when it's cleaned up, and we've had zero mechanical issues. The only thing that's broken that wasn't a normal maintenance thing was a relay for the AC that was a very reasonable fix.

Normally by now I would totally be wanting something new;), but even though I've gone to look at the new ones, I'm completely happy with it still. I love the flexibility of the middle row!

NannyMom

I have a 2008 8 passenger CE (1 power door) and :love: it :D 3 across is so easy for 2nd row, and pretty easy if you have the right seat collection in the 3rd row (I know I can fit FF Radian and FF Foonf on the 60 portion of 3rd row, and even a Frontier with them on the 40. :love: I refuse to have non-sliding doors with kids again, I love it. Bonus that the passenger side is power :love:

I know a friend was recently looking for a used Odyssey, but was very specific in what he wanted (dvd, leather, not sure whatelse). The dealership told him they could always change from cloth to leather if they otherwise found the right van. But, they ended up buying new.

NannyMom

Was it a Sienna in your crash? And seriously, going for sportier got me nowhere. :p

Do any of you know what type of gas mileage you get (actual, not rated)?

Yup, she crashed a Sienna. 2004ish?

I know I usually get 300 miles to a tank, more if it's alot of highway driving (like a longer trip). And a complete fill up is like 16-17 gallons

sirrahn

It's been a while since I manually calculated it, but the car's computer was always pretty close and it shows about 21-22 most of the time. I don't reset it every tank so that's a better average. We've gotten 26-27 on a freeway road trip, but my usual driving is mostly running around town with a a short highway commute to work 4 days/week.

Dillipop

The computer in ours says we get about 21-22 mixed driving when I am doing most of the driving. When dh does most of the driving, it's more like 19-20. He's got a much heavier foot than I do, I guess. Road trips, we tend to average 24-25.

Chely7425

Was it a Sienna in your crash? And seriously, going for sportier got me nowhere. :p

Yeah, it was a 2005 Sienna LE 7 passenger in our crash :) Hence why we bought another one!! And I fill up about once every 2 weeks, maybe 300 miles a tank? I can pay more attention next time I fill up :p

Pixels

The car's computer says I've gotten 21.8 miles on average since I've owned it. About 50/50 city/highway or more city/less highway.

I've only manually calculated it for one tank, but I remember that it was significantly different than the car computer. Unfortunately I don't remember if I calculated higher or lower.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC