Question Radian Safe stop use

aept

My second son, E, has been thinning out recently. He is four years old next week. He uses a FF radian 65 in one of the cars. He is hovering right around forty pounds. I took the safe-stop off months ago when I realized he was over forty pounds. Now he might dip back under.
His naked weight today was 40.2
Is it better to have the safe stop on and be slightly above the limit, or have it off and be slightly below 40 lbs?
Also, is the 40 lb weight clothed? That would help a little. We are about to hit summer though and a t- shirt, shorts, and crocs weigh next to nothing.
I will add this ff radian is in a tight 3-across and so I wish to avoid lots of uninstalling and reinstalling. He rides in it (the Prius) about 2-3 times per week.

Last edited:
ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The 40 lbs is a clothed weight. So I would say leave it off. If he has a major issue like a tummy bug that makes him lose a significant amount of weight, you might want to weigh him and double check.

It would be nice if Diono would put a range in which it's "optional" but they don't. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask what they say about it. I'm sure lots of kids spend a long time hovering in that 39-41 lb mark. If that happens to me I'll probably use a different car seat for a while. :D

HeatherMo745

Ooo, I'm interested to know this also. Luckily our RF weight max is 45lbs so I'm hoping that DD never has to use the safestop, but just incase I'd love to know which is better!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's definitely better to have it off and be slightly under 40, than on and slightly over, in my opinion, because of how it works. It decreases neck loads by increasing head excursion slightly. I'd rather risk slightly increased neck loads than too-high head excursion, personally.

tiggercat

ketchupqueen said:
It's definitely better to have it off and be slightly under 40, than on and slightly over, in my opinion, because of how it works. It decreases neck loads by increasing head excursion slightly. I'd rather risk slightly increased neck loads than too-high head excursion, personally.

This, for sure. You don't want extra head excursion if he happens to be over 40lbs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

aept

Brigala said:
The 40 lbs is a clothed weight. So I would say leave it off. If he has a major issue like a tummy bug that makes him lose a significant amount of weight, you might want to weigh him and double check.

It would be nice if Diono would put a range in which it's "optional" but they don't. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask what they say about it. I'm sure lots of kids spend a long time hovering in that 39-41 lb mark. If that happens to me I'll probably use a different car seat for a while. :D

Seriously! An optional range would be great!

I'll keep him in his heavy sketchers sneakers and not break out the crocs quite yet ;)

aept

ketchupqueen said:

Thanks, ketchup queen and tiggercat! I figured someone would have a scientific opinion on what to do. That ff radian is pretty much the only option for him in that 3-across so I want to have it safe without obsessing too much. We'll be sure to weigh at least once a week, or more often if he's looking skinnier or gets sick. (knock on wood - hopefully not!)

aept

Thanks for the post - it directed me to the other thread. Wow, that generated a lot of discussion!
I plan to keep ours off unless E loses at least 1-1.5 lbs from where he is now.

tiggercat

Brianna said:
:shrug-shoulders: Just thought I'd share info from a recent thread on Safe Stop

Sorry I might have been showing my frustration with the company there. It was a great link to share. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC