Which would you do?

Top tether ???

• Tether to unused middle seatbelt in third row

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Use D-ring around a post that the is right behind the seat that is attached to the van

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get another top tether installed

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Get both the 2nd top tether installed and a 3rd in the 3rd row just in case

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters

cdncasper

Ok I on occasion have 2 FF carseats on my middle bench but I only have 1 top tether. What would you do to top tether the 2nd one?

Poll shortly.

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Ok I on occasion have 2 FF carseats on my middle bench but I only have 1 top tether. What would you do to top tether the 2nd one?

Poll shortly.

Can any of those FF children be turned RF? Can you have an additional top tether anchor installed? How about tethering to the seatbelt?

cdncasper

Both children are over 30lbs so no RF available. This would only be used when I really need the extra room behind the 2nd row and the 3rd seat is taken out or folded down or when it is really hot or cold and I want them closer to the vents.

cdncasper

vanpart.jpg

If you look at the pic you can see where the van seats attach and in my van I have 2 sets of anchors for the 2nd row so when I talk about the D-ring it would be attached to the 2nd set of anchors. Make sense???

CRS

Senior Community Member
Oh I see you've now added a poll! - I voted for the last option.

And as for

<label for="rb_optionnumber_2">Use D-ring around a post that the is right behind the seat that is attached to the van</label>

You can't use the D-ring for FF, only Swedish RF.

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Option 2, using the D-ring, is, without a doubt, NOT A SAFE OPTION.

I voted to use the middle seatbelt for now. I would get more anchors installed, though, if you can. :)

cdncasper

That is what I thought but I was hoping I didn't have to take the van in again. Everytime I take the van in for something simple I leave and within 48 hrs something major happens to it. Plus last time they only put in one instead of 2 and I had to take it back.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd get all available anchors put in - if you're paying for labor this'll save you money in the long run. ;)

In the meantime, if you need a 2nd anchor, tether to a 3rd row seatbelt. The d-ring canNOT be used to create a tether point for ff'ing car seats.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Why ? Is it less safe than entirely not tethering a FF seat ?

Because that's what the instructions say for the D-ring. I can fish mine out if you'd like me to type what it says (it's somewhere in the mess I call my office!) What would be safer is tethering to a perfectly good seatbelt which is there to use anyhoo.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Using the D-ring for FF tethering isn't safe because it's almost certainly going to fail in a crash. The force exerted on it when used FF is much, much greater than the force when used RF. Then it is not only going to fail to work as a tether anchor, it's also going to become a projectile.

I would tether the heaviest child until I could get tether anchors installed, or tether the lightest child to a seatbelt in the third row if no one was using it.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
That is what I thought but I was hoping I didn't have to take the van in again. Everytime I take the van in for something simple I leave and within 48 hrs something major happens to it. Plus last time they only put in one instead of 2 and I had to take it back.

Anchors are easy to put in if they have factory installed weld nuts or dimples. Order the anchor kits (under $15 each) and install them yourself.

cdncasper

DH and I have enough trouble putting in oil so it is way above our heads and if I take it to the dealership it is usually free or $20 at most.

lynsgirl

I'd get all available anchors put in - if you're paying for labor this'll save you money in the long run. ;)

In the meantime, if you need a 2nd anchor, tether to a 3rd row seatbelt. The d-ring canNOT be used to create a tether point for ff'ing car seats.

:yeahthat:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC