I feel like a coward.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I wonder if I should have said something. I am trying to tell myself I can't save them all, but... sheesh.

Went to the grocery store today. The car in the parking lot next to me had a guy and two little kids. One kid was smaller than DD; I'd estimate 20-25 lbs, maybe a year to a year and a half old. Other child a little bigger, maybe 35 lbs and maybe 3?

Both kids were sitting on an empty seat in the back while presumably-dad loaded groceries into the trunk. There was a LBB in the middle and a Scenera FF behind the passenger seat; door was open to the car so I could see the Scenera was installed.

As I got in my car to pull away, dad finished putting groceries in the trunk and leaned into the car to buckle both children in together in the empty seat on the driver's side.

If it had been a woman I might have said something. The guy didn't look scary or anything, but I was too scared to say something. Also they appeared to be hispanic and I chickened out at the thought of trying to overcome a potential language barrier, although I know it's entirely possible that they spoke English; I didn't hear any of them talking so I don't even know what their primary language was.

I need to start carrying the USAA pamphlets in my car. I should order some Spanish ones too. I can't imagine that saying anything would have mattered. The seats were right there. It's not like he didn't know, or couldn't afford seats, or something.

The whole thing just made me so sad.

ADS

jennlana

My neighbors do that. I don't say anything bc they know how I feel about carseat safety. And actually, it's worse, bc I've seen the wife allow both children to sit in the front seat.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think I need to make an address book group in my phone for all the non emergency police and sheriff contacts in the area. I wonder whether the cops would do anything. In my small town they might but this is the next city over with a much higher crime rate and probably higher priorities.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Call ActsOregon and ask if there are numbers to call for each area...then report back. ;)

Don't feel back. I doubt the would have changed the way they were doing things.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Don't feel bad. There are a lot of times that I wish I had said something but hadn't because something was telling me not to. Our first instinct is usually right. (HUGS)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC