Britax Frontier Booster Mode Question

jen_salowitz

Help me understand this safety question, please. I have a child, about 82#, who has outgrown the harness portion of the Britax Frontier. He's currently in the booster mode, but we're having another baby and re-arranging the seats a bit. Right now, his booster is top tethered as well as lower LATCH anchored so it's a rock-solid install before he climbs in and strap up with the lap/shoulder belt. Where he's moving to will have the top tether anchor, but not the lower latch. I understand that you can use *both,* but can you use just the top tether anchor then have him climb in and strap up with the seatbelt? Is that preferable to no anchor/tether points? My alternate option is to buy a Graco Turbobooster hi-back booster and put it there, but I don't really like them in comparison to the strength of the Frontier.

In this article, this quote is my concern: "In our tests of the Britax Frontier 85 toddler booster seat, installed with a lap belt and without the top tether, and tested with a harnessed 52-lb., 6-year-old hybrid III dummy, the dummy's head was at the limit for head excursion (forward movement) that would be allowed by the standard test. Additional forward head movement in a real crash can potentially expose a child's head to injury. When we tested the same seat with the top tether installed, and again with a 3-point safety belt, the head excursions were within the limits. Based on those results and recommendations from the Britax manual, we would not recommend use of the Britax Frontier 85 for older vehicles that have only a lap belt for installation and lack a top-tether anchor."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...car-seats/higher-weight-limit-seats/index.htm

Thank you in advance!! ~Jen

ADS

Pixels

That quote says it was when they tested in harnessed mode, not in booster mode. It is irrelevant to you.

I'm not sure about Britax's position on top tethering without lower anchoring in booster mode. Does the manual say anything about it? If not, call and ask. Some manufacturers are okay with it, some are not, some do not allow any use of lower anchors or top tether in booster mode (though I know the Frontier 85 allows it).

jen_salowitz

That quote says it was when they tested in harnessed mode, not in booster mode. It is irrelevant to you.

I'm not sure about Britax's position on top tethering without lower anchoring in booster mode. Does the manual say anything about it? If not, call and ask. Some manufacturers are okay with it, some are not, some do not allow any use of lower anchors or top tether in booster mode (though I know the Frontier 85 allows it).

Oops! Didn't catch that in the quote. I read the "booster" in the description (in the quote) and just assumed, lol.

The manual doesn't specify whether you have to use both, just that it's preferable to use them in booster mode. We don't actually have the 85, we have the older model, the 80# limit. I will call the manufacturer, but I wondered if anyone had any idea.

jen_salowitz

I've talked to Britax and was told its ok to use TT only. But you'll still need to buckle it in when not in use.

Thanks! I just got off the phone with Britax and they also said it's fine to use the top tether to secure the seat prior to him climbing in and using the seatbelt, without the lower LATCH.

I'm still trying to debate whether or not to use it or purchase a hi-back Turbobooster. Am I correct in my understanding that a Turbobooster is sufficiently safe as a hi-back? Is it just my paranoia that feels like a Britax Frontier booster is larger, sturdier, and therefore safer than the Graco Turbobooster? At this point, I need a 5 point harness for our second vehicle, forward facing. If I move the Britax to the second vehicle in harness mode and purchase the Turbobooster for our primary vehicle, the not only do I save about $100, but I also get a better fit since the Frontier is so large.

I know boosters are a matter of preference, but in crash tests, do both perform similarly - in booster mode?

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

here's my question... how old and how tall is this child?

the frontier makes the tallest booster on the market and is one of the roomiest for wide tushies.

I'm wondering about his/her build before suggesting alternatives and of course, the frontier is a great booster.

Also, what vehicle do you have? I'm asking because if there isn't ample head support long-term, you may really need the height the frontier is capable of.

HEVY

I wouldn't give up a FR for a TB unless you have a small child and by the weight you posted I'm going to assume your child is not small. Britax said it was OK to use without LATCH, the manual also says to forgo it if it interferes with the belt. I know that's not your case but basically it's saying you don't need to use LATCH only the TT.

aeormsby

I wouldn't switch to a turbo just because the Frontier won't be fully latched. The turbo wouldn't be latched either and it's also a smaller booster as others have stated so he might not last long in it anyway. A latched booster does not need to be installed as tight as you would a harnessed seat, the purpose is mainly to keep it from moving when not in use (so a non-latched booster should have the seatbelt buckled even when not in use). I know at least one of the latchable boosters is not even capable of 'installing' tightly with the latch.

jen_salowitz

He's about to turn 7 and hovers between 80/82#, tall for his age (I don't have an exact measurement right now). He has a very large frame and is solid. We have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. Right now this is my arrangement: 2nd row captains - Frontier booster mode with LACTH/tether for him using seatbelt; rear facing Britax Boulevard LATCHed and tethered to the front seat for my (25#) 26 month old. 3rd row - Frontier 85 harnessed for my 41# 4.5 year old, top tethered and LATCHed in the off-set LATCH/tether position. In a couple of months, we will also have to add into the mix a Graco Snugride 35 for our newborn.

I have been rattling all of this around in my head so much, I just can't seem to find a coordination I like. I really, really like what we have now, so I feel like anything will be a step backwards in safety for someone. :(

We have a retrofit top tether we're installing in the 3rd row, passenger side. That was why I was wondering about the Frontier and the top tether. That way, I'd leave everyone where they are, except move the 7 year old to the back row, passenger side, secured with the top tether. I'm wondering if it's going to be too tight of a fit to buckle, though? I would have a Frontier 85 in the LATCH seat and then a Frontier booster passenger side. I truly don't want him to give up the Frontier, but I would really like to move him to the 3rd row. The Graco would be a "smaller" option, but I too was concerned about size - he's a tall, solid kid.

The other option I was toying with was putting the harnessed Frontier 85 in the new retrofit top tether seat, 3rd row passenger side then put the Snugride in the LATCH position, 3rd row. I'm concerned about that for 2 reasons: 1) It's going to be difficult hauling that thing back and forth and while I'd like to say I'm never going to move it from the car, the truth is I will have 3 kids under/at 4, including a toddler who still wants to be carried everywhere. I need to have it as an option when I'm out alone with them. I'm also not sure how my 4.5 year old would get into the Frontier if the Snugride is blocking the aisle. 2) I have read the limited data about 3rd row seats, and I know it's generally quite safe, it scares me leaving my newborn back there since we travel very often on a 70 mph expressway for large lengths of time where semis are frequent. It's probably pregnancy paranoia, but I'm scared to leave my itty bitty way back there.

I would like to leave the Boulevard in 2nd row rear facing and I would really like to put the Snugride in the middle row for convenience of getting it in/out when desired. That leaves me putting the Frontier 85 and the 7 year old's booster back there. I can't really afford an expensive booster at this time, honestly. I would like to keep him in the Frontier and top tether it to the seat. Or, I could put the harnessed Frontier on the passenger side with the retro tether and then leave the Frontier on the driver's side without any tether or LATCH. Not sure if it will tilt at all with the curved seat and the wide base?

I swear I've been losing sleep over this. I just can't find a set-up I like as much as what we're doing now. :(

Kat_Momof3

are you in canada? as far as I know in the US current vehicles that come with the required 3 top tether spots (or more) cannot be retrofitted (with the exception of installing one for an ezonpro harness product)

What I would do is this.

2nd row... your 7yr old in the frontier in booster mode (you have good tall headrests, but being solid, you're going to find that there aren't THAT many other boosters that will offer him as wide and comfy a seat and of course, at that age, I prefer a highback. Now when your 26 month old is older (and bigger) and (eventually) goes ff, you can then (because this will likely be 1-3yrs down the line) pass the frontier to him/her and give your 7yr old a backless booster (as he will be somewhere around age 8-10), and the snugride (until baby is out of the infant seat, it's easier to put it there)

in the 3rd row... put the boulevard behind the snugride so the older two have a side to get in all their own... aka... no one has to crawl under a seat... lol (you can load the toddler through the hatch or let him go through and get in on his own and then buckle him by leaning over the row from behind) and then the frontier HOPEFULLY in the middle.

I'd try this combo asap to see if you need a narrower convertible. I know the frontier at that weight can be used untethered, but I avoid that at all costs.

down the line (when new baby goes into a convertible) I'd put both rearfacers in the third row and load from back there (probably combi coccoro or a low profile cosco/safety 1st convertible) and FURTHER down the line, I'd put the oldest in a backless booster in the 3rd row, both ffing frontiers in the 2nd row, and leave rearfacing baby in the 3rd row.

The key is to eventually have the booster riders in the 3rd row (till eventually the oldest needs the head support that is higher in the 2nd row) and keep the seats needing top tethers in the second row where there are no space concerns.

BTW, I've loaded so easily over my third row in my 05 caravan that I'd have the noob back there after I recovered from the birth... probably start with a convertible, too, as I'm all about babywearing... but every mom is different :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A Turbobooster is a safe seat, but my 84# child has long outgrown it. It is a pretty small seat on the inside. I do not think a solid 82# child would be at all comfortable in it.

jen_salowitz

are you in canada? as far as I know in the US current vehicles that come with the required 3 top tether spots (or more) cannot be retrofitted (with the exception of installing one for an ezonpro harness product)

No, I'm not in Canada. Yes, you can retrofit. There are several threads on here actually verifying it, same product number, etc, as the Canadian install. Chrysler has approved it, but most dealerships in US won't comply. This forum is where I learned about it; in fact there's even a thread with all the people who have one, some even having had it installed through a dealership.

Thank you for your ideas on installs. Putting the Boulevard in the rear row is one option I'm considering, for sure. I need to get out there and play with it a little bit to see if the Frontier will fit beside the other Frontier in the rear row first. I'd prefer both boosters back there. My 2 year old is quite feisty and only enjoys being rear-facing so he can socialize with his brothers. Facing the rear hatch will lead to many fits of crying, sadly. Since we have a 2nd tether to work with in the back row, I'm going to try that.

I appreciate the feedback, carseatcoach, on size and the Turbo. I was concerned about that since it's a slimmer seat.

You guys have given me lots to think about and try out! Thank you! :)

Kat_Momof3

cool... like I said... it was as I knew... man, I wish that had been true for the 2005 caravan's back when I hard harnessed kids... ah, well.

That makes seating options very different... you won't have to worry about puzzling two right next to each other in the 3rd row (and I agree about the turbo... Damian was squished in his so badly when he outgrew his Britax Regent that I was rushing around trying to find ANY booster, not just a taller highback... and he was only like 65-70lbs)

The only reason I'm not saying to put both frontiers back there is because I know how the caravan is... with SO much headroom in the 2nd row compared to the 3rd row...

Now, if it will fit until after you've recovered enough to heft one or both young ones over the 3rd row (just push the headrests all the way down and/or remove them for that purpose), that's great.

Long term, it is so nice to just open one door, let the older ones in, go back, load the little ones THEN put the stroller/strollers right in, check the older two are gtg and all doors are closed, and just get in, buckle and drive.

BeautifulChaos

You have gotten some good advice, but I wanted to add that my understanding of LATCH in booster mode is that you don't want it "rock solid" like you do when it is in harness mode. You just take out the slack

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC