Question How to keep 2 1/2 year old rf in a small car with an infant on the way?

U

Unregistered

I have a relatively small car, a 2010 scion xb. Currently my 2 1/2 yr old son is rf in the center in a graco my ride 65. The front seats are positioned such that we can comfortably sit in the front, but also so that the car seat doesn't touch the back of either seat (required per owners manual). I would like to keep my son rear facing, until 4 or the limits of his car seat, if at all possible. My concern is we are expecting a baby in October, and I don't know what to do about car seats. I know I have to buy another car seat for my son, since the mr65 is so wide that an infant seat will not fit next to it and certainly wouldnt leave room in the back for another passenger. I am thinking about the safety 1st onside air or the britax roundabout 55. I still have to find these in a store and see if they even fit rf behind either front seat, but from measurements these seem to be my best bet (I'd definitely take recommendations though!). Aside from needing another seat, where should I put each seat? I've been told conflicting information so far from car seat safety organizations at baby fairs. One group said I should put the infant on the outboard side (since they are rf and thus more protected) and turn my son ff but keep him in the center (since ff he would be less protected). I'm hesitant to do this as an infant seems so fragile and more susceptible to serious injury, especially as a newborn. Another organization said he's already past the 2 yr recommendation for rf (he will be 3 when the baby arrives) and so I should put him ff on the outboard and put the infant in the center rf, since they are more fragile. Please help! I have a few months to prepare, but am just at a loss for what to do.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My thought is the least safe in the most protected position. So IF he was forward facing then he goes in the center, his new sibling goes on the side.

However, what if you got a Diono Radian with angle adjuster and put him behind one of the front seats, and then put the baby in the My Ride in the middle? Least protected in safest position, check. Older child rear facing, check. The two seats puzzle well together, though I don't have first hand experience with the Radian and angle adjuster in the xB.

At least one person here has had *some* experience.

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2176293&postcount=9
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2227836&postcount=17
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2109415&postcount=8

Wendy

HeatherMo745

I agree with Windy. Radian and AA for older one and my ride for baby. I'm not sure how the xb compares to a Jetta (havnt seen an xb inside, but my jetta is pretty small), but we have a radian and AA in my 08 Jetta w/o touching the front seat. If you have a buy buy baby near I'd go there and try the radian out.

agave

wendytthomas said:
At least one person here has had *some* experience.

Me!

Unfortunately the angle adjuster didn't come out before I sold my xB. When my second came I just put both kids RF outboard and gave up on having a 3rd person in the back. 2 Myrides worked great. A RF radian, passenger and RF Roundabout 50, center allowed a 3 rd person to squeeze in the back. It also put the kids close enough to fight.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
How big is your toddler? (height, weight, torso height) and what are your rear-facing goals? That will help with figuring out what options you may have.

Do you have an infant seat? Do you want an infant seat? A My Ride works great for an infant, but for some families an infant seat is a high priority for those first months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC