Check the Frontier or use it?

kalamos23

I have the box for the frontier or I would not do this. I will be flying with a radian XTSL for DS and the F85 for DD who is almost 4 and weighs 45 lbs ish. It will be just be me and the kids and is cross country with 2 flights. I am debating dragging the F85 on the plane or not... the flights leave our time zone at 11am and get there around DDs bedtime at 8pm so I doubt she would sleep.

I have done the 2 seats by myself before, but I had a bucket and the f85 and a different stroller so I piled the seats on the stroller and wore DS and DD walked.

What would you do? Any suggestions?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

kalamos23

I guess I was thinking that I have all original packaging, are the airplane guys that much rougher than the UPS guys? I could pack diapers and clothes around the seat in the box for extra security?

Baylor

kalamos23 said:
I guess I was thinking that I have all original packaging, are the airplane guys that much rougher than the UPS guys? I could pack diapers and clothes around the seat in the box for extra security?

I think they are. Ups and fed ex I feel take more care than the airline guys just pitching it in.

auto correct hates me

ninejr

kalamos23 said:

I don't know, DH used to work for FedEx and said that shipped seats with them likely would have gotten thrown a lot (everything else coming off the truck was thrown). We have checked seats before. DH made a deal that he would pack them safely and if the box was unacceptably damaged we would buy a new seat.
The other concern with checking is that the seat could get lost or not arrive at your destination at the same time as you.
I would use the seat on the plane just because your child will likely be more comfortable and there is no reason to risk checking it if she can sit in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

kalamos23

I would like her to sit in it ideally, but I am not sure how I am going to swing getting both seats to the plane. I have another radian I could use for her if needed, so then it would be 2 radians. I have a single and a double urban mountain buggy stroller, and ds needs to be carried or in a stroller. Any ideas how to pull this off?

T4K

I'd skip the stroller. Wear the younger one and put the 4 year old on a luggage cart with the two seats maybe.

kalamos23

Brigala said:
I don't suppose getting something like a RSTV for the 4 year old would be an option...?

Possibly, but we leave on Thursday, not sure if I could get one by then?

kalamos23

Thirsty4Knowledge said:
I'd skip the stroller. Wear the younger one and put the 4 year old on a luggage cart with the two seats maybe.

Yeah, but I would be screwed trying to switch planes, otherwise that is an awesome idea! If I could have a luggage cart waiting for me smehow though...

kalamos23

lorismurph said:
Even a Maestro for the trip? I wouldn't check it for fear that it may be lost and you'd be without on the other end.

I could do a maestro, but I am still stuck with trying to wrangle both seats to the plane. I could have my parents buy one and meet us there with it though...they are picking us up. The scenara wouldn't work ffing would it for her?

kalamos23

glockchick said:
I don't think the FR is FAA approved. I'm pretty sure it's too wide.

I forgot I have dd's old radian too, I will probably bring that. I just tried putting one radian on the mountain buggy and it does fit so I may be able to piggyback them and bungy the second on there to get me to the gate.

PikkuMyy

I don't think the FR is FAA approved. I'm pretty sure it's too wide.

The FR85 is definitely FAA approved in harness mode only. I just checked the sticker on the seat. :) That being said, I wouldn't want to carry it along and even though it's approved, it may or may not fit in an airplane seat.

The only way I've traveled with a seat was with a Go Go Kidz Travelmate. However, I only have 1 child. It sounds like you found a solution anyway!

Cryssy Jane

A friend of mine just flew with her 3.5 year old in a FR85 on a plane. Fits without hassle supposedly, but man that things a beast. I wouldn't want to lug it through the airport and multiple flights.

kalamos23

Cryssy Jane said:
A friend of mine just flew with her 3.5 year old in a FR85 on a plane. Fits without hassle supposedly, but man that things a beast. I wouldn't want to lug it through the airport and multiple flights.

Yeah I have flown with it before, it doesn't fit on the small planes but does on the bigger ones. It did ok in the phil and teds double back seat with the bucket in the main seat, but I don't have that stroller any more :(

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Ok, here's my idea:

Fold and carry one Radian on your back like a backpack.

Strap the other Radian to a folding luggage cart (or Go Go Kidz if you prefer) and stroll the younger child in it.

Use some kind of strap or rope attached to the luggage cart and require your 4 year old to walk holding on (or be attached at the wrist) to that.

Think that would work?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would do everything in my power to avoid flying with two Radians :eek: I can't see the ages and weights, but could you do a Maestro and Scenera or two Sceneras?

Jan06twinmom

I could do a maestro, but I am still stuck with trying to wrangle both seats to the plane. I could have my parents buy one and meet us there with it though...they are picking us up. The scenara wouldn't work ffing would it for her?

The Scenera would not work for your DD. It has a 40lb weight limit and it looks like your DD is already over the limit.

Just back to another idea - what if you have your parents buy a Maestro and meet you at the airport with the seat? Your DD can use it for this trip. The Maestro only has a 50lb limit, but your DS could use it on future trips. Then you'll only need to bring a seat for DS for this trip.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC