My field trip to Target (includes MCP thoughts)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
First, they had ZERO seats on sale. :rolleyes: Even the Scenera was $50.

They did, however, have the Maxi Cosi Priori ($199.99) and the Evenflo Triumph Advance ($129.99). I tried out the Priori wand found a couple of surprises.
  1. The shell and top harness slots on the Priori are taller than on the Roundabout. Nadia (4 years, 36-38 lb, 43.5") was too tall for the Roundabout (ears above seatback and shoulders above top slots), but she still had a little growing room in the Priori. I think she'd reach 40 lb in that seat.
  2. I thought Sonja was exaggerating about how hard it is to change the harness slot height on the Priori. She wasn't! Remember the old combo seats that had the metal dowel holding the harness in place, and you had to use a screw driver to change the harness? This was harder to do and easier to screw up than that horrid system!

First, you MUST recline the seat. I thought the instructions said that assuming that parents would be changing the harness for a newborn first. Nope. You cannot access the harness without reclining the seat first! Then, you open the little door between the seatback and the closed belt path. This will give you enough room to pull the harness plate thing out into the open. You'll want to loosen the harness as far as you can get it.

The top slots are virtually impossible to access from the back of the seat. You'll have to do your best to wiggle the strap in from the front. If you have a ruler or stick, that would help. When the harness is in the top slots, it is too short to bring all the way out in the open. You'll have to work around the belt path to get the strap back onto the harness plate. Also, because the harness path is closed, you cannot tell if the harness has a hidden twist. Not only can you not SEE a potential twist, but the path is too narrow to fit a hand in to feel for one, either. Major PITB!!!! :mad:
  3. Even though Nadia fit height wise, I could just barely buckle her in with the harness as loose as it would get. She's not exactly a chubby child, either (95th %ile for height, but 50th-75th %ile for weight).
  4. The straps on the MCP were the same weight as the straps on the Roundabout, but they were about 1/8" narrower. The Roundabout straps felt "twistier", but this was just because they were wider.
  5. The harness adjuster on the MCP was harder to use. There is a little cover on it to keep kids from messing with it, but that also makes it more difficult for parents to access it.
  6. The MCP has EPP rather than EPS foam. Also, the cover is on extremely well. I tried to pull it down when I was changing the harness height, and it was not easy! ;)
  7. The MCP sits more upright than the Roundabout, even when neither seat is reclined. Also, while the seat of the MCP sits lower than the Roundabout, the seat is still a little taller overall than the Roundabout.
  8. Oh, one final thing. While most seats appear to have slots shorter than they really are, because the cover "sags" slightly, the cover on the MCP actually creates the illusion that the top slots are taller than they really are. Make sure you stick a finger or pencil or something in the slot when you're checking for fit.

I also tried out Nadia in the ComfortSport and the Touriva. The seatback was taller on the CS. The top slots were taller on the Touriva. Nadia was too tall for both seats' top slots, but her ears were below the top of both seatbacks. I'd say the top slots on the Touriva were just barely below her shoulders, while the ones on the CS were almost 1" below them. The difference in the top slots between the two seats wasn't huge, but the CS's were shorter. Next time, I'll have to bring my camera.

I didn't try out the Evenflo Triumph Advance, as the kids were getting restless at that point.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So far the MSP has three of us who HATE the way you change the harness height. It is AWFUL!

I was not very impressed with the MCP either. Sure, there are some things that are very nice, but I would rather spend the $200 on the Roundabout than on the MCP.

UlrikeDG

The big advantage of the MCP (besides being $10-$20 cheaper) is that it will last longer both rear and front facing. The rear facing weight limit is higher, and the seat & slots are taller for front facing. Oh, and Nadia also seemed to have more width through the shoulders in the MCP.

It's definitely not a "bad seat." Realistically, you don't change the harness height all that often. Still, there were some things that were just plain poor design.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I made a trip to Target as well. I thought the MCP was okay but for the money I would rather spend a bit more and get a MA :rolleyes: I gave up trying to adjust the harness' as my model wasn't willing to let me waste time adjusting the straps.

chickenman

what color was the maxi cosi? and do you know if all targets have started carrying it or just certrain ones? the closest one to our store is like 35 miles away, but just curious

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I must have measured incorrectly, because I got the same top slot heights for the RA and MCP, with approximately 6" of hard shell above the slots for both seats. Hmm... I think I need to go remeasure!

Here is a quote from a post I made about the seat last week or the week before (I can't remember when it was and I forgot to take note of it when I just went to copy the quote. Sorry!):
Okay, I am back from Target.

I couldn't get any photos because the saleswoman kept hanging around me and was giving me really weird looks. I felt uncomfortable taking photos.

Anyway...

* I HATE the way you change the harness height. Holy cow! I can't imagine a person with large hands trying to do that. As all_together_ooky said, you have to recline the seat, open a little "door" on the back of the seat, pull the harness to the side, unthread it from the splitter plate, pull it through the harness slot on the front of the seat, move the harness to the next slot, push it through the slot, pull it down, and reattach to the splitter plate. Repeat for other side. That's annoying! Oh, the "door" only opens from one side too! Ugh!
* The top slots are 15", which is essentially the same height as the Roundabout and Scenera
* There is approximately 6" of shell over the top slot, which is the same amount as the Roundabout has. In contrast, the Scenera has about 8" of shell over the top slot.

I wouldn't get this seat.

If I needed a small seat, I would get the Roundabout and would get the Scenera to use for extended rear-facing. While the Scenera and Maxi-Cosi Priori have the same RF weight limit, the Scenera is taller, so I think it would allow children to RF longer.

I would still lean toward the Marathon, though.

UlrikeDG

Definitely remeasure because the shell on the MCP was visibly taller than the Roundabout. Not just a little bit, either. The seat itself was taller, but the base was shorter, so the seating area is where the difference lies.

mominabigtruck

I was also at target last night ( I discovered a really nice one over by where I work) and was checking out the mcp. I thought it was nice, I liked that it had super low slots for a newborn and I didn't think the top slots were too low. To me the harness adjustment isn't that big of a deal, maybe I'm just more mechanically inclined then most but I've never had a problem taking a whole seat apart and putting it back together. And I did like the built in lock offs, they seemed more substantial then my new britax ones. I personally probably wouldn't buy it just because I think my kids would outgrow it too soon but I would buy it before I bought a ra because of the extra harness slots and nicer lock offs.

lynsgirl

I just had a Target field trip today, too :D. I didn't spend any time w/the MCP, because I had all of the kids and they were good enough for me trying the TA and the Graco AB. I discovered that ds2 (currently in the MA, weighs 43 lbs, is 43.5" and long-torsoed) fits in the TA almost exactly the same way as he does in the MA. Obviously, it could be different in a vehicle, but really, the fit seemed the same to me. Dd, who is a hair over the top slots on the MA (she doesn't ride in one ;)), was actually a hair *under* the top setting on the TA, which floored me. She is too heavy (53 lbs), but I wanted to see where she'd be, height-wise. She is 8yrs 9mos, 53 lbs, 49" and has an average torso length. I didn't try the baby in the TA because he was being a crazy little turd :rolleyes: :p .

In the AB, ds1 had 2 more height notches to go on it and he said it was super comfortable, especially in the leg area. In the PW, he is on the tallest setting, with room to grow (10.5yrs, 65lbs, 53", short-torsoed). Dd and ds2 tried it quickly, just because, and of course said they liked it, too :p.

Not a seat on sale in sight, which was a major bummer, since I was really hoping I'd spot a clearanced SS1 or something great like that, but alas. . .

No SS1 or SS2 *at all,* which is a bummer, since they had at least 2 different SS1s previously and an SS2.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Here are some photos I took for the Maxi-Cosi and Roundabout (for comparison). I apologize for the quality of the pictures. I was using my crappy camera. :)

I wanted to do these with a child in the seat, but I didn't have a willing model. :)

S8000451.jpg

The tape measure had slipped out of the harness hole, so this is not 100% accurate. It is close, though. You can see how far off the tape measure is from the harness hole.

S8000449.jpg

This was pushing down on the padding a little bit.

S8000452.jpg

Again, the tape measure had slipped a little bit. YOu can see how far off the tape measure is from theharness hole.

S8000450.jpg

Again, this was pushing down on the padding a little bit.

So, I was mistaken about the shells being the same size. There is about a 3/4- 1" difference.

jdchic3

Just saw the MCP IRL for the first time today. (Finally!!!) We went to Target and I had time to play! Nothing great on sale or anything but I was so excited to see it. Even after all your reviews. It's so funny because I was thinking, it can't be that hard to re-route the harness. Oh my goodness!!! There is NO WAY I would ever buy that seat! Yes, it's cool and comes in some neat covers and is very plush, but it is HORRIBLE to do the seatbelt. My hands aren't exactly small either! I can't imagine owning that seat. I'd be willing my child not to grow so I wouldn't have to change the harness height! Complete NIGHTMARE!! Just my 2 cents.

Morganthe

LOL, if it's any consolation, the last time I moved the straps on my MC-P was over 18 months ago :eek: It was the only time I ever changed them :shrug-shoulders:

It's just wierd how they melded a European style to an American one and didn't really think about practicality.

My ffing-only has three slot heights. They're easily accessed by opening the velcro on the FRONT of the seat. Then the straps slip off, one at a time, and move along a north/south slot to the desired level.

It seems that with this new rfing style, the engineers decided to not have the north/south path and decided to go from the very cramped backside which used to be soley reserved for the platform & installation area. How NUTS!!!! :mad:

But if I had another child, I'd still look seriously into this seat. Ours has been such a wonderful seat for my dd & multiple vehicles these past years, I'd probably ignore the issues with the adjusters. After all, I had a rear adjusting Evenflo infant seat and the harness never inconvienced me :p ;)

LuvBug

could you take a picture of yours? it sounds like you adjust the slots similar to the old triumph(and sorta the new one too lol).

Morganthe

could you take a picture of yours? it sounds like you adjust the slots similar to the old triumph(and sorta the new one too lol).

I have picts of the MC, but nothing with the cover down to show this area. For some reason, I can't upload photos directly on this laptop. The Command popup page doesn't fully appear :( I have this issue with other programs too. It's a glitch in the system that I haven't figured out how to fix yet. :eek:

It will take a day or two, but I'll get everything coordinated for photos, I hope :thumbsup:

It's similar to the Triumph, but not -- since the triumph as both harness on a metal clip that slides up and down. These are individually threaded. To move them, it takes a little coordination, but not much, since you can change them while the seat is installed. Unlike the Regent or Radian with the back yokes, where they have to be released from the car before adjustment.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Go download picasa2 from google, that'll let you upload photos in a jiffy.

Does anyone else remember the old MCP? It was a massive pain to change the harness on that, too (I should find a new MCP and see if it's harder... not sure how it could be, but then, nothing surprises me anymore)

skipspin

I was half tempted to get one for DS's other RFing seat since I figured it would last till he was don'e RFing, then I could use the RYS. My first problem was that it can't be tethered RFing. I really like to tether RFing. Second, I was thinking it was $150ish- so a mid-priced seat, for $199 I can get a Marathon (on sale) or a Radian!

So, no MCP for me. If it tethered RFing I might still be tempted when it goes on sale.

LuvBug

I got to see a maxi cosi at target! I put DS in it and he for sure was outgrown lol! His shoulders were definitely over the top slots and the tips of his ears were right over the top of the shell. His shoulders were also very squished. It was cool to see though!

They also had the triumph advanced on display and he had room above his head, but he was about even with the very top harness position. Its actually kind of hard to tell exactly where he was at because of how the harness adjusts and pivots...
They also had the air booster and the auto booster. The auto booster is MUCH taller than the air booster, but it requires a headrest :rolleyes:

It was cool to finally see some of these seats IRL though.

For reference DS is a little over 40lbs and 42" I havent measured him recently so I dont know how much. He is in the 2nd from top slots of the husky/regent and is already outgrown of the MA by a little.

chickenman

i get a lot of people that have heard of maxi cosi or they are from europe and know how good of a brand it is over there, the thing that sucks is that is manufactured by dorel cosco, which doesnt exactly have the heighest standards, i wish it had locks offs for rear facing, not a huge deal as most customers have switchable retractors, i havent tried switching the harness i will ahve to look at it, but the things i do like are there are more harness adjustments and the bottom slot is lower then the ra, and it uses epp foam versus eps, but they do quote 43 inches for height because it is slightly taller

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC