Which is better, booster outboard or seatbelt in center?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Daughter 5-steps in the center of our 2001 Subaru (that hump, that hump, that lovely Subie hump). Her ears are over the headrest in that position in a backless booster. Is she better off center in seatbelt only, or outboard in a backless booster? No side airbags. Not primary vehicle, not even secondary vehicle, so no extraordinary solutions (like an Oobr or Frontier-as-booster for the center) will be considered.

Last edited:
ADS

creideamh

If she 5 steps, I wouldn't hesitate putting her in the center. I do that with my just-turned-11 year old cousin in my Prius (another car with a lovely center hump.)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It would be more convenient in a less-used vehicle to not have to deal with a booster, so if she 5-steps that's probably what I'd do.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have enough cheap backless boosters that I don't mind leaving one in the vehicle, so that's not really an issue.

I do prefer her center; it just feels weird to go booster-less!

Kat_Momof3

I'd go center with no booster... I've made this choice before for Damian before he got too tall for that center spot in his dad's car. Heck, Jeffrey today asked why he couldn't ride there because he did for a VERY short time before his ears made him too tall and I had him slide over, saw his whole had was above the vehicle seat now, so just asked him to lean back his head and tell me if there was head support. He did so, told me there was NO head support. I asked him if he could ride there and he told me nope, you are right, I can't ride there, and moved back over to his booster.

obviously if she didn't 5-step, but couldn't use a booster there, it would be different, but as she does pass, the center is the best place for her.

Pixels

At age 10, pre-pubescent I'm assuming or early on in puberty, I think I'd go with the booster which means outboard. I think.

tiggercat

How good is the belt fit in the center? Is it a "meh, she fits" or a "holy cow, that belt fit is amazing" type situation? If the fit is really optimal, I'd go center. If it is decent but the fit in the booster OB is better, I'd go OB with booster.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Early puberty. Belt fit isn't quite amazing, but better than "meh, guess it's good enough". I'm a pretty hard grader on the 5-step test and I'm okay with it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I can see plusses and minuses to both options. I'm inclined to go with Pixels and use the booster for hip reinforcement purposes, but honestly, I'd go with Mama Gut on this one.

bnsnyde

I'm a fanatic about the center so just to give warning on my love for the center! I'd probably go to one of those "out there" solutions like Frontier as booster in center. But that's totally me. If something happened I never want to say, "Oh, God, if only I'd..." I know it's impractical, probably. But it'd be a bubble of protection in many ways.

I realize my own setup isn't always practical with 3 across the middle of our van (and one in back, in the middle)...and that our setup would be so much easier if I'd do 2 and 2. But I love the middle. Wish I could drive in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC