Question Is a radian right for us?

noahsmommy

I know the "right" car seat is one that we can use correctly and safely, and I know every situation is different, but I'm just about to click "buy" on a r120 & thought I would ask first. :)

Right now DS is 18mo, ~34", ~30lbs and uses a TFP (which I LOVE!) in a '99 Jeep Cherokee. We got a 2nd car ('03 Jetta) & I would prefer another TFP, but that RF weight limit stinks. :(

I even emailed them to ask if there was any hope for an increase soon and was told they have "no plans" to change it. Uggh....

So here's my logic...

There are some with high RF limits that we just can't afford (Orbit, etc.).

My son & I both dislike the headwings on the CA & Recaro.

I'm not a huge fan of Britax. We have a Boulevard for grandmama's car & he seems so cramped & hot in it. I don't get all the fuss.

DH doesn't like the Cosco seats. He thinks they look uncomfortable & doesn't want to do battle getting DS into a seat he hates.

So we went to BRU and tested:

Easy Fit 65 - at 18mo his head is already even with the top of the shell, so we only have the couple extra inches the headrest affords.

My Ride - his head is even with the bottom of the Graco logo, so only about an inch or so left there.

Soooo....

I think that leaves us with the Radian. The price tag hurts, but I have some Kohls cash I can use to bring it down to about $200.

It's a big purchase for us. I guess I was just hoping for some advice on a cheaper solution that I missed or a thumbs up that the Radian is the way to go. :)

Thanks in advance!

ADS

Phineasmama

I think you will like it :) my kids have always been very comfortable in their radians. And if you don't like it you can return it to your local kohls store!

jordansmom

I think you will like it too. The only thing I have had to get used to and it's really not that big of a deal is the tug tug tug to tighten the straps.

I think I read on another post that there might be a kohl's cash and 30% off in he next week or so...maybe you could wait for that sale?

noahsmommy

Thanks!

That's why I was thinking Kohls. If it doesn't work out, we can return it without having to ship.

I'll look for the sale. 30% off would be great! :)

maybe if you allow him to pick the color of the cover it might make car rides a *little* easier to do, especially if he has a strong opinion! :)

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

noahsmommy

happiness-and-balance said:
maybe if you allow him to pick the color of the cover it might make car rides a *little* easier to do, especially if he has a strong opinion! :)

Oh, he definitely has a strong opinion! LOL

Unfortunately, his opinion right now is that anything that restrains him is evil. I think that DH wants a cushy seat because he thinks restraint + discomfort will be a disaster.

I'll remember that trick for when I have to replace the TFP, though. He'll be old enough then that I bet it will help. Thanks! :)

no problem! Also, if you pick up a special toy or book that he is only allowed to have in the car, it will give him something to look forward to and that makes the ride go a lot smoother. Or try ''car bingo'' (I.e draw a bunch of pictures of different colored cars, trucks, houses, traffic lights etc etc,makes lots of photocopies to keep in the car and let him cross them off as he spots them!) it keeps them busy for a little while and helps to create a positive atmosphere surrounding car rides :) of course that one is for kiddies a bit older but they grow fast!

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC