Question Recommendation for seat for 4yo, used sparingly, in 1998 Dodge Ram (with shallow bench seat)

JaclynZ

Title pretty much sums it up! DD was 4 in Feb. and is about 37 pounds. I don't know her exact torso measurement, but she's a bit taller than average. She normally rides harnessed in a Nautilus in my car. We have a 1998 Dodge Ram truck with a bench seat in back that we use sparingly for trips to our lake lot, etc. (less than 10 minute drive). That is really the only time she's in that vehicle. I have 2 extra Nautilus seats, but the bench is too shallow for them to be installed properly ... they overhang a little bit. Soooo ... I'm looking for a seat for her with either a shallower base, or one that is ok to overhang. Also, being it's used so infrequently, I don't want to spend much. I was leaning towards a Maestro, but we live in a rural area and have found nowhere to see one in person, and I understand that once the harness is outgrown, so is the booster portion. I also thought about a HBB, as she is good at sitting still and it will be used so little, but that thought kind of makes my stomach knot up (even though she will be 4.5 this summer)! Suggestions? I've tried searching the forums, but still unsure. Thanks!

ADS

Keeanh

It's okay to use a Nautilus in harness mode with overhang. It's only in booster mode that overhang isn't allowed.

If the Nautilus still won't work, then yeah, I'd go with a Maestro. It's cheap anyways, and you can always sell it later when it's outgrown.

JaclynZ

Really? It does overhang less than 20%. I swear the manual said no overhang at all ... now I'll have to go re-read it ...

Keeanh

Really? It does overhang less than 20%. I swear the manual said no overhang at all ... now I'll have to go re-read it ...

It only says that in the booster section. If you read the harness section, it doesn't specify any rules at all. I think the 20% came from a Graco rep.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC