Suburban

longstocking

My boys are FF in a Maestro and the other in a Roundabout 50. Baby girl will be here soon and she'll be in a KF30. The boys are 4 end of June and 3 Sept 2nd. Both are about 30-35 pounds. Not sure on height exactly. I can get exacts tomorrow if it helps anyone help me.
We just got a '98 Suburban. I noticed there aren't any tether anchors, which I kind of expected. I called a local Chevy dealership a few times and so far they haven't gotten back to me if they were able to locate some anchors. I got the numbers I needed from my favorite KQ, my personal carseat tech :D I forgot to check if there's any anchors in the seat (forgive me, I forget the correct term). That's how I have the Maestro installed now in our current car. It wasn't tight enough with the seatbelt so it's (?latched?). I'm not sure yet how the install will work in the burban, if I can use the seatbelt or what. I just remembered I need to check if the seatbelts lock. I really need to play with the 3rd row. The seatbelts aren't even attached. They are clipped/dangling from the celling (does that make any sense?)
We have to get an engine installed and a few other minor repairs before I can really test drive the car seats in the car. Trying to figure things out now before I have to actually install seats.
I'm thinking KF 2nd row behind drivers seats. Keep the split part of the seat down so the boys can climb in the back and install their FF seats one on each side (outboard? Correct term?) in the third row. This way I can sit in the 2nd row to take care of the kids if I need to. Does that sound like it will work?
What do I do if I can't find tether anchors?
I got really comfortable with our other car. Now I'm nervous tackling this new challenge. Nervous I'll do something wrong that will jeopardize my kids safety.

ADS

Jessica61624

If it doesn't have top tethers it doesn't have lowet anchors either. I would get a tech to help you if your unable to get a tight install with the seat belt. The belts should lock at the retractor I believe.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm not sure how much changed between '98 and '97, but in my parents' '97 the shoulder belts all lock at the retractor and all centre seating positions are lap belts that lock at the latchplate with no headrests. :( With lap belts in the centre, you'd be better to put the KF in the middle so you can sit in a position with a shoulder belt and headrest if you're back there (which would be behind the driver, since the fold-down is on the passenger side.) Having the olders in the back sounds fine. :) Those seatbelts hanging from the ceiling should clip into a stalk on the edge of the 3rd row bench, then become 3-point lap-shoulder belts that buckle towards the middle of the seat.

My parents' truck directs you to use the cargo anchors at the very back (not directly behind the third row) for top tethering third row seats.

HTH :)

Jessica61624

carseatcoach said:
This isn't always true. There are several 1999-2002 vehicles with top tethers and no lower anchors.

A 1998 vehicle will have neither, but will have locking belts.

Exactly. Top tethers were introduced first. I have a 2000 that has no lower anchors. I do have top tethers. So if her suburban doesn't have top tethers its not going to have lower anchors either. I think you misread that.

EmmaGrace'sMom

This isn't always true. There are several 1999-2002 vehicles with top tethers and no lower anchors.

A 1998 vehicle will have neither, but will have locking belts.
Actually that statement is mostly true, if there are no top tether spots there won't be a lower LATCH anchors. I believe the exception to that rule is some of the convertible cars that have lower LATCH anchors and no top tether. There might be some trucks this applies to, but if it's an SUV or Sedan/Coupe that statement will hold true.

longstocking

We pretty much got a dud car for happy easy carseat installation. There are no anchors, top tether or the latch ones in the seats. Outboard seatbelts do lock. Middle seats have no headrests and lap belts only, which I think lock? I'm not sure how to really tell.
If I had to sit in the 2nd row to take care of the kids I would fold the seat up and sit on the passenger side.
I can't find instructions in the car manual if it's okay or not to tether the seats to the cargo anchors. Anyone know the answer to this?
Sadly I live in SE Idaho where there are no techs so I hope I can figure this out on my own.
I should be okay with top tethering the FF seats if I can use the cargo anchors. If I use those anyone know if I use the ones closest to back of seat or further away? The Maestro has a really short tether strap so I'm not sure it will even stretch to the back anchors by the door.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Your seatbelts lock in some way-it was required in 1996 my. Whether they lock at the latchplate or retractor and if the former, whether it works well is the question. Sounds like locking retractors outboard, locking latch plates center.

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Call the vehicle manufacturer to get guidance on the cargo anchors, they may be the ”retrofit” for TAs in your vehicle but you need official guidance on that.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What model year is your Suburban?
In some model years you can tether to the cargo anchors that are furthest away (closest to the cargo door).

ETA: Sorry, for some reason my screen jumped to post # 7 and I didn't realize there was a whole history. I am fairly certain that you can use the furthest cargo anchors in a '98. There's a thread about this somewhere; I'll see if I can dig it up.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ok, awesome! So Kristen, you can put them in the third row, outboard, and tether them to each of the two furthest cargo anchors (toward the back of the vehicle.) If you want to put them in the second row you can tether to the back row seatbelts like we discussed, or if you want info on putting in Ez-On Heavy-Duty Tether Anchors in that row eventually, let me know (since you have a mechanic in the family that shouldn't be too hard if he can find a good spot!)

longstocking

I emailed Evenflo about the Maestro. Asking if I could tether it to the cargo anchors. This was their oh so helpful reply :rolleyes:
I thank you for your inquiry regarding your Evenflo Maestro car seat.
I am happy to assist you with installation information. No, I wouldn’t recommend attaching it to the cargo anchors since that is not the intent of the anchors. I apologize for your inconvenience.
Thank you for contacting Evenflo ParentLink. I appreciate the time you took to email us.
Now I'm back at square one trying to figure out how to safely put car seats in the Suburban

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You would need to contact Chevy about the cargo anchors, not Evenflo.

Brigala's post a few above this gives some options.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, Evenflo doesn't know that the cargo anchors ARE the tether anchors. They were in your last car too...

You may need a tether extender to reach if the tether is too short.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC