5 Year old on last slot on F85

dneul

I will try and take some pictures tomorrow. My 5 year and 10 month old child is on the last harness slots in her F85. She is around 65pounds 49.75" tall with around a 19" torso. Is this even possible? Anyone else have a mutantly tall torsoed child? She is so not ready for the seat belt full time!

ADS

christineka

Wow! I got a scare today when my 9 yo got into his frontier. I had just changed the cover and reinstalled the seat. His shoulders were just at the harness strap position! I was dismayed that I'd have to keep him in a booster. I unistalled, checked the back and found I could move the harness up one more position. I may have the mutantly small torsoed kid.

The good news for your child, though- he won't be going to middle school in a booster;) My 12 year old still rides in one.

2BunniesMommy

My 7 year old neice is on the top slot and she is a really tall girl. Can't imagine a 5 year old on the top slot. Wow!

dneul

I also have a 10 year old that is around 62 inches or 5'2". My oldest has 5 stepped and been out of a booster since around 8 years and 1 month old.

TyAndCheyMommy

I have three 5 year old- 2 of which have lots of room to grow. One of which has less than 1/4" till outgrows it. I am not happy about this.

bnsnyde

My 5 year-old is nearly the exact same age as yours and it looks like he has almost no room to grow in the Prosport and Radian XTSL (if I only allow up to top slot). Anyway, our next step will be the Frontier. Last year he had TONS of room in the Frontier at the store. Now this year, we'll have to see. I think he's 47 or 48 inches (no idea of torso in the last few months; was 16 but could be more now) and is 51 lbs.

Mysweethoneybee

My 4.5 year old has outgrown the Regent by torso height. He wears size 10 shirts for length. He is just a hair below 50 inches if the measurements at Silver Dollar City were correct. He has a freakishly tall torso and always has.

skylinphoto

Lol. My just turned 6 yr old still manages to fit in our radian (close to even with the top slot), though he rides in a booster full time. He's a shorty though ..only 43" tall. So crazy that all these kids are so tall!!

arly1983

I can believe it. I have a newly turned 7 yr old who is 50 ins barefoot and outgrew it sometime between 6 and 7. I am not sure when. He had several small growth spurts this past year.

Brycen'sMommy

My DS is 5 years 10 months, 50 inches and 50 lbs and has outgrown it. I wasn't very happy about having to switch him to a booster full time but he's done great. I guess I'm going to have to get used to it since DH is 6'8" and seems to have passed his tall genes on to all of our kiddos.

Kat_Momof3

it's possible... my daughter was a little shorter than that but that age (2wks shy of turning 6) when she outgrew her Nautilus with an 18" torso.

it's not USUAL, but it happens. this is where having the frontier being such a tall booster becomes really really beneficial.

Now my oldest is more of the just generally mutantly tall... he's in the 105th percentile for height... he was 4' tall at about 4yrs old... he outgrew the REGENT and turbobooster highback at 6.5yrs, 5-stepped at 8yrs old at 4'9" and 100lbs, and is currently 12yrs old (with size 11shoes still... I have a pair to match his age for next year) and 5'7&1/2" (5'8 with shoes, 5'7 without, so I give him the middle number), 131lbs, and still growing fast.

However, we're now having to buy him SMALLER size jeans (but with longer legs) because he hasn't gained weight in almost 2yrs and has actually lost a little since he stopped taking Intuniv. (I'm not worried, he eats tons of healthy stuff and eats more than I do... my great-aunt's son was exactly like this at this age... thinned out to super thin and was really tall) I think honestly for him (not most kids) part of it is also that since we've gotten his cholesterol level (thank you lovastatin) at the normal level (it's been high since who knows... it was first tested when he was 4), he's been so much more active. Starting around age 7 I noticed he wasn't as active... I wonder what having all that bad cholesterol in addition to the good cholesterol being low was doing with his heart and if that was making him tired.

Anyway... Ruthie has been growing legs and at almost 4'3", she only has about an 19" torso (even though the way we have to raise booster height, you'd think it was more, but she's also gained weight and of course, that squishes the booster into the vehicle seat more and then her primary booster has such small space between settings)

ahgirls

My DD is 5 1/2, she is on the last or 2nd to last notch. She is wearing 8 tops. In Dec, she was 48" & 52 lbs but since then has had a big growth spurt.

I'm a mean mom making her wear to short of pants when its to cold for capris.

Last edited:

fyrfightermomma

Evelyn is 6 and has like 1/4". She is 49". I don't think she has a huge torso

Sophia is 5 and has like 1/2". She is 43". She obviously has a much bigger torso :p

alake

My six year old will fit forever in hers. Well probably not, but she is 47 pounds, and stands 44 inches tall. She has a 14.5 inch or so torso. She is on the 3rd slot on a Nautilus, and her and her sister sit on the same height adjustment on their frontier 85s. She has long legs, wears size seven pants, but can wear a size 3 or 4 shirt. Her pants have to have an adjustable waist or she is constantly pulling them up.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Bridget's been on the top slot since we got it, before she turned 6. She's just barely 6, and has less than an inch to grow (so her torso is about 19.5"? Ish.)

nmb

I will try and take some pictures tomorrow. My 5 year and 10 month old child is on the last harness slots in her F85. She is around 65pounds 49.75" tall with around a 19" torso. Is this even possible? Anyone else have a mutantly tall torsoed child? She is so not ready for the seat belt full time!

DS is 5 yrs 5 mos, on the top slot w/ about 1/2" to grow. He's only about 44" overall though.... I think "mutant torso" applies. He reached the top slots of the Radian before he turned 4, he was 41" tall, and he still had a good two+ inches before his knees could bend at the end of the seat. (Thankfully he's grown more legs than torso since then, his pants are only a size smaller than his shirts now)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC