Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Vehicle suggestions

If you have very little money, and 4 kids, what vehicles (used) would you look at? 10yr 5 steps, 8yr in booster, 1yr rf in My Ride and a newborn. So it needs 2 rf seats in 2nd row (I know realistically this person will not load into 3rd row), 2 tether anchors in 2nd row, and a 3rd row that's not a pain for high back turbo booster.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Pontiac Montana, Chevy Venture, any of those older GM minivans. They're reliable and if you get one with the three bucket seats across the middle and two across the back all five seats have top tethers

Quote Originally Posted by katymyers
    Pontiac Montana, Chevy Venture, any of those older GM minivans. They're reliable and if you get one with the three bucket seats across the middle and two across the back all five seats have top tethers
    Are the old better than the new? I had one as a rental a few years ago and hated it for 4 kids. No high back boosters out board cuz the headrests were Terrible. So for 2 kids in the back it was only backless boosters
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Vehicle suggestions

How much money are we talking, here?
    Cutie #1 (10 years) riding sneakily in an Incognito when she's not 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (8 years) riding in a Recaro Probooster

Cutie #3 (5 years) riding in a Recaro Prosport
    Cutie #4 (3 years) riding in a Radian XTSL
    Cutie #5 (recent addition) riding in a cowmoo Chaperone

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan
    How much money are we talking, here?
    I don't know, other than as little as possible. They were thrilled I could get them a 3 across in their current car.... A 2001 or 2002 chevy something sedan. They still owe on it but have to trade it in before they become a family of 6. They don't have the money for a new vehicle but don't have a choice.

Re: Vehicle suggestions

Dodge Caravan? They're a dime a dozen and go way back. Ford Windstar would also be on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMom

Are the old better than the new? I had one as a rental a few years ago and hated it for 4 kids. No high back boosters out board cuz the headrests were Terrible. So for 2 kids in the back it was only backless boosters
    I like them up until 2005 when they started making the Uplander and Montana SV6. They got rid of the 3 middle 2 back seat arrangement in favor of a more traditional bench seat in the back. The bench is ok but has only one tether in the the middle and it's a 50/50 split bench and it's hell trying to get a seat there tight. I haven't had issues with my headrests and high back boosters in my 2000 Montana.