four year old too big for Evenflo Big Kid Everest booster?

julia94115

Just for kicks I put my 4.5 year in a Big Kid Everest today. She is approx 47 inches tall and 48 pounds. She sat down in it and I kept telling her to scooch back. She kept trying but was getting nowhere because there is so much padding on the sides of that dang seat, I don't know how anything other than a toothpick could get in there! My daughter is no where near being even slightly thick or chubby.
Do average kids really fit in that seat?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
this seat??
http://www.albeebaby.com/evbigkidevbo.html

It doesnt even really have sides?? im honestly not sure what you are talking about? The padding on the highback portion? I'll grant you that weird pillow looks like it would push a head forward..is that what you mean?? Sorry, it's late, maybe I'm just not understanding?

jeminijad

The torso support portion looks to have oddly thick padding along the sides.... maybe that is what OP meant?

MommyShannon

DD has used one in my mom's car before when she was about 48" and 48 lbs. I didn't notice anything odd. It was a Big Kid from Walmart but doesn't look quite like the one linked. I don't think it had lights. I may just not remember though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My very tall 6 year old is that tall and almost that heavy... Anyway, I wonder if you tried the seat in the car? It might have fit differently?

julia94115

This is the exact seat-
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Big-Kid-DLX-Booster-Seat-Greystone/15988108

There is so much padding in those side wings! I just measured how much space there is in the back part and it's measuring 9" at back of shoulders and about 7.5 inches at the back just above the waist- which seems like plenty but my daughter just ends up resting on the side wing padding and her back barely touches the back unless she curls her shoulders in!
Odd.

I'm going to try it again when my daughter wakes up.

Kat_Momof3

Ruthie is pretty narrow and slim, but no toothpick, and she fits the big kid really well (but we don't have the dlx)

could the problem be the seat is so deep that her legs aren't long enough?

(this is from her 7th birthday) she was about the same height (all of 4'1... and about the same weight... she was 50lbs)

EvenfloBigKid7yrsOld1.jpg

julia94115

Ok so it may just be the angle of the photo, but do you see how her right shoulder and back is resting on top of the "side impact protection wings"? She, like my DD, doesn't seem to be sitting/fitting inside the seat.

julia94115

Geez, I am trying to insert a (not so great) photo so you can see but I need some time to figure out how to do it!

Kat_Momof3

that's what happens when she puts JUST one arm on the armrest... her shirts are always big on her if they fit her in the torso length and so the sleeve just tends to cover more than her arm does... if she had both arms on the armrests, you wouldn't see any of the body wings.

I'll try to get a more updated pic with her in it, but she's sick, so it won't be today... maybe tomorrow (she'll still be home cause the coughing is keeping her up at night)

here are two from when she first got it so you can see what I mean (she was 6 and it was summer, so red cheeks from soccer in heat)
EvenfloBKRuthie.jpg

EvenfloBKRuthie1.jpg

if she has both arms on the armrests, or none, you could tell she's centered better (but in the last one it's from straight on and you can tell by her head.

Qarin

I don't think the torso wings are meant to be completely on the outside of the child- shoulders and arms resting against them seems normal.

What seats have your kid(s) been in? Perhaps you're just used to wider harnessed seats? Also boosters like the Diono Monterey and Recaro Pro-Booster have side wings which are designed more to go on the outside of the shoulders/arms; most boosters the sides are meant to sort of wrap the lower torso, maybe, but not the shoulders and arms.

julia94115

I don't think the torso wings are meant to be completely on the outside of the child- shoulders and arms resting against them seems normal.

What seats have your kid(s) been in?

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if maybe that was the case. She currently rides in a SK Radian XT but she is at its limit. :(

We also have a SK Monterey and a Parkway OS both of which seem to fit her MUCH better than the Evenflo BK.

It's not a big deal that she doesn't fit as it is one of my spares for other kids but I just thought the fit was so odd I wanted to see other's had that issue.

Kat_Momof3

could you get a pic? (that might require a trip first, I realize)... maybe she just has broad shoulders. I remember not getting a BK for either of my boys because it looked so narrow there and yet so wide in the tush... it is still pretty wide for Ruthie's booty needs, but she has narrow shoulders and it gives her a better belt fit than most non-recaro options (and sadly, the vivo just does NOT do well in hubby's car... constant re-threading of the shoulder belt... and she's never cared to learn, she just complains loudly that it won't stay and then brothers fix it for her... Jeffrey could thread his own shoulderbelt through a guide at age 6... she's never had to and doesn't care to learn)

lovemybabies924

I have two big kid hbb and the padding is meant to flatten out and go behind the kid... No sip like other boosters

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The child isn't supposed to fit completely between the wings. They go next to the child and the child's body will be against them. The child overlapping them is normal and expected.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC