Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Cleaning out the SafeKids Trailer

Kegracin, my DH and I spent the afternoon cleaning out the trailer that belongs to our non-functioning SafeKids Coalition. It was practically abandoned a couple of years ago and was full of useless junk. Aside from the mass of outdated brochures and training manuals and random carseat parts, we found 2 brand new but long expired (in 2006!) AngelGuard carbeds, 1 brand new but expired Graco Cargo with no harness, and a brand new, sealed in the box but also expired Graco backless Turbo. There was an entire box of belt shortening clips. I confiscated one of them to put on my Harvey's purse . I also found a LATCH manual from 2001 and this mouse pad:

There were also about a hundred foam squares that the local PD has been using the place of pool noodles. They are made of the same material but are more dense and don't compress as easily. We couldn't decide if they are appropriate to use. What do you all think? Here are a couple of pics.

Also there were five of these

At first we couldn't didn't know what they were but later we figured it out.

It was kind of neat to see all of the old stuff but I was sad to throw out the brand new seats. It seems like such a waste of resources to have unused seats sitting around and never used.
    Brooke, Mom to Morgan, 8 years old, riding safely in her Oobrs.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Cleaning out the SafeKids Trailer

Oh man, too bad about those seats!!!

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

The foam stuff is safe to use. Really, anything lightweight enough not to brain you that does the job is fine to use. The square foam is actually great in those cars with 483749879inches of space at the seat bight because they don't fall through.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

How fun! Like looking through a time capsule, sort of. :-)

What's the long black strap?

I had no idea there was a latch manual in 01.

What are you going to do with the BSC's?

The long black strap looks like the optional shoulder belt adjuster on the Evenflo Right Fit's. It actually worked pretty well as far as those things go, not like the one on the Big Kid that just slides down.
    Carrie- CPSTI and busy WOH Mama to
    A., 11 yr old, I., 8 yr old, E., 4 yr. old, and baby O. 2 yr, old!

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    How fun! Like looking through a time capsule, sort of. :-)

What's the long black strap? As pictured it is about 18 inches, fully extended its about 30 inches.

I had no idea there was a latch manual in 01.

What are you going to do with the BSC's? We are hoping to set upt a fitting station so we kept them but we will probably never use them!
    It was fun but dirty and we recycled a small dumpster full of brochures.
    Brooke, Mom to Morgan, 8 years old, riding safely in her Oobrs.

cool
    *STACY* Mom to: Sage-9, Nevaeh-6.5, Junior-5, Nayeli-1.5

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    The foam stuff is safe to use. Really, anything lightweight enough not to brain you that does the job is fine to use. The square foam is actually great in those cars with 483749879inches of space at the seat bight because they don't fall through.
    My dad got me a boatload of foam pieces from work that are now sitting in my garage. They're square and a little bigger than a pool noodle and work great in captain's chairs. I'm not really sure what they're really for but they are squishy just like pool noodles but retain their shape better.

My kids use them outside as swords to wack each other in the head with too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Hahaha, looks like the collection of stuff I just pulled out of a box in my bedroom the other day (Lifesaver's stuff, shoulderbelt adjusters, and a dozen manuals and chest clips and locking clips and harness pads and LATCH books....ah, memories...)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good