Tether anchor retrofit for Chevy?

PikkuMyy

A friend called me today and asked for my help. She drives an older (late 90s) Chevy. She occasionally drives her niece and I strongly suggested that she gets a tether anchor installed a few months ago. She had tried calling Chevy today and got no where with them on the phone. Since there seems to be no part number for Chevy tether anchors, what can I tell her to ask for when she calls? Are they supposed to install one anchor for free? My friend said she'll pay for whatever it might cost but if it's supposed to be free, I want to let her know. I paid for 3 to be put into my car (Lexus) and I wish I had known that Toyota does one for free! I paid $40 for the 3 anchors and my mechanic installed them for free.

What about Honda? Do they install an anchor for free? Same friend's mom drives the niece (her granddaughter) more often and I strongly suggested a tether anchor for her car as well. She doesn't think her mom will go get it done but if it's free, I'm hoping she'll go get it done. :\

Any videos that show why tethering is so important for FF?

As a side note, little girl is only 2. She's in a MyRide and I talked about why RF is much safer but even though my friend was very receptive, the rest of the family was not on board at all, so she's FF. :( I'll try to bring it up again now that I'm a certified tech. My word might hold more weight with the rest of the family...or it might not.

ETA: It's a '97 Chevy Lumina.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For the Chevy you want to reference bulletin 99-09-40-004a. That will get her a tether installed for free.

The Honda is part number 82410-SE3-C01 and is called the plate assembly. It's $13, as I recall, and can usually be installed at home in about 15 minutes. The instructions are in the car's manual.

Wendy

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Chevy had discontinued making tether anchors last I heard, so whether or not she can locate a part will depend on whether there are still anchors left for her car or not. I helped a parent a number of months ago who was able to locate the very last tether anchor in all of North America for his truck. (So he got the very last one basically.)

Hopefully the part number works, but unfortunately Chevy isn't supporting the older vehicles anymore when it comes to the tether anchors. :(

PikkuMyy

Chevy had discontinued making tether anchors last I heard, so whether or not she can locate a part will depend on whether there are still anchors left for her car or not. I helped a parent a number of months ago who was able to locate the very last tether anchor in all of North America for his truck. (So he got the very last one basically.)

Hopefully the part number works, but unfortunately Chevy isn't supporting the older vehicles anymore when it comes to the tether anchors. :(

Thank you for this information! It makes me sad that they're not making them anymore though. :( There are a lot of people with children who are still driving older vehicles, myself included (although mine isn't GM).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC