Alpha Elite 65 for 5 yr old and 5 mo old

jrv4babies

I am considering to get one seat for my sitter instead of two seats.

I have 3 children. She has a marathon that stays in her car all the time for my 2 yr old.

However I need to get her another seat for transporting my 5 month old and my 5 year old. She never transports all 3 children at once. So it is conceivable to use one seat for the job.

My thoughts are this...

**the seat is going to be coming in and out frequently no matter what, so at least if it's one seat to learn vs two, that could reduces installation errors
**the alpha elite 65 could be easily adjusted (harness height) between the two children
**price is reasonable (compared to a $275 recaro)

Thoughts?
Something I'm not considering?

Thank you!!!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's one of the harder seats to install, but the 65 is at least decent in the height and weight limits. It makes an ill fitting booster, though.

I'd probably look at an Evenflo Triumph 65, First Years True Fit, maybe the Safety 1st Complete Air, rather than the AE65.

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If I'm not mistaken, the bottom slots on that seat are pretty high. Your 5 month old might not fit in it for a few more months.

The Complete Air would have the same problem.

What do you consider "reasonable" as far as price?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Safety 1st Able is a brand new car seat which is a little cheaper than the Alpha Elite and looks like it has all the same features as the Alpha Elite except the booster feature - which you probably shouldn't use anyway because frankly it sucks. 10% off this month so $135 - not too bad. I don't know much about it though. I'm going to guess that it has the same harness heights (low and high) as the Alpha Elite. It might be worth calling them and asking.

Jessica61624

Brigala said:
The Safety 1st Able is a brand new car seat which is a little cheaper than the Alpha Elite and looks like it has all the same features as the Alpha Elite except the booster feature - which you probably shouldn't use anyway because frankly it sucks. 10% off this month so $135 - not too bad. I don't know much about it though. I'm going to guess that it has the same harness heights (low and high) as the Alpha Elite. It might be worth calling them and asking.

It's this seat
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12003514

It's huge irl.

canadiangie

I would get a Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Maestro. I may even consider just a highback well-fitting booster seat for the 5yo, depending on her maturity level.

I think, without thinking very long though ;), that that Alpha Elite would be one of the last seats I'd consider. It's not easy to install, really, and it would require her to switch a whole plethora of stuff around when going from rf to ff.

Could the 5mo and 2yo share a seat? Or would that not work because of the way things are scheduled?

Jessica61624

canadiangie said:
I would get a Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Maestro. I may even consider just a highback well-fitting booster seat for the 5yo, depending on her maturity level.

I think, without thinking very long though ;), that that Alpha Elite would be one of the last seats I'd consider. It's not easy to install, really, and it would require her to switch a whole plethora of stuff around when going from rf to ff.

Could the 5mo and 2yo share a seat? Or would that not work because of the way things are scheduled?

My though was if the 2 year old is FF she could get a complete air and install FF. And the move the marathon when needed since its usually an easier install.

jennlana

Both my girls at 5 months old fit in the AE. But I agree, RF install was a pain. I had to use a pool noodle or a rolled up towel to get the right angle. FF install was easy though.

henrietta

It's one of the harder seats to install, but the 65 is at least decent in the height and weight limits. It makes an ill fitting booster, though.

I'd probably look at an Evenflo Triumph 65, First Years True Fit, maybe the Safety 1st Complete Air, rather than the AE65.

Wendy

I agree w/Wendy on this. The EFTA 65 would be easier--it's simple to switch the harness (it's on an infinite slide), it's a piece of cake to change it from rear-facing to forward facing, and it's an easy install--almost as easy as the MA, sometimes easier.

BUT--where are your 5 yr olds shoulders in relation to the top slots of the MA? What seat does she usually ride in and where are her shoulders in relation to it's top slots? My child had outgrown the MA by 44" tall, but he was a bit longer torsoed back then. The EFTA will last bit longer height wise than the MA. The True Fit will last even longer than it.

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC