Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Alpha Elite 65 for 5 yr old and 5 mo old

I am considering to get one seat for my sitter instead of two seats.

I have 3 children. She has a marathon that stays in her car all the time for my 2 yr old.

However I need to get her another seat for transporting my 5 month old and my 5 year old. She never transports all 3 children at once. So it is conceivable to use one seat for the job.

My thoughts are this...

**the seat is going to be coming in and out frequently no matter what, so at least if it's one seat to learn vs two, that could reduces installation errors
    **the alpha elite 65 could be easily adjusted (harness height) between the two children
    **price is reasonable (compared to a $275 recaro)

Thoughts?
    Something I'm not considering?

Thank you!!!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Alpha Elite 65 for 5 yr old and 5 mo old

Forgot to mention
    My 5 year old is 44" and 42 lbs
    :-)

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

It's one of the harder seats to install, but the 65 is at least decent in the height and weight limits. It makes an ill fitting booster, though.

I'd probably look at an Evenflo Triumph 65, First Years True Fit, maybe the Safety 1st Complete Air, rather than the AE65.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

If I'm not mistaken, the bottom slots on that seat are pretty high. Your 5 month old might not fit in it for a few more months.

The Complete Air would have the same problem.

What do you consider "reasonable" as far as price?
    Mom to 2 adult boys and 2 little girls.
    Giant 5 year old in FR85 & Pinnacle; Petite toddler in Complete Air & CCO.

The Safety 1st Able is a brand new car seat which is a little cheaper than the Alpha Elite and looks like it has all the same features as the Alpha Elite except the booster feature - which you probably shouldn't use anyway because frankly it sucks. 10% off this month so $135 - not too bad. I don't know much about it though. I'm going to guess that it has the same harness heights (low and high) as the Alpha Elite. It might be worth calling them and asking.
    Mom to 2 adult boys and 2 little girls.
    Giant 5 year old in FR85 & Pinnacle; Petite toddler in Complete Air & CCO.

CPS Fanatic
    Is your two year old FF or RF?

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigala
    The Safety 1st Able is a brand new car seat which is a little cheaper than the Alpha Elite and looks like it has all the same features as the Alpha Elite except the booster feature - which you probably shouldn't use anyway because frankly it sucks. 10% off this month so $135 - not too bad. I don't know much about it though. I'm going to guess that it has the same harness heights (low and high) as the Alpha Elite. It might be worth calling them and asking.
    It's this seat
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=12003514

It's huge irl.

I would get a Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Maestro. I may even consider just a highback well-fitting booster seat for the 5yo, depending on her maturity level.

I think, without thinking very long though , that that Alpha Elite would be one of the last seats I'd consider. It's not easy to install, really, and it would require her to switch a whole plethora of stuff around when going from rf to ff.

Could the 5mo and 2yo share a seat? Or would that not work because of the way things are scheduled?

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie
    I would get a Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Maestro. I may even consider just a highback well-fitting booster seat for the 5yo, depending on her maturity level.

I think, without thinking very long though , that that Alpha Elite would be one of the last seats I'd consider. It's not easy to install, really, and it would require her to switch a whole plethora of stuff around when going from rf to ff.

Could the 5mo and 2yo share a seat? Or would that not work because of the way things are scheduled?
    My though was if the 2 year old is FF she could get a complete air and install FF. And the move the marathon when needed since its usually an easier install.

Both my girls at 5 months old fit in the AE. But I agree, RF install was a pain. I had to use a pool noodle or a rolled up towel to get the right angle. FF install was easy though.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    It's one of the harder seats to install, but the 65 is at least decent in the height and weight limits. It makes an ill fitting booster, though.

I'd probably look at an Evenflo Triumph 65, First Years True Fit, maybe the Safety 1st Complete Air, rather than the AE65.

Wendy
    I agree w/Wendy on this. The EFTA 65 would be easier--it's simple to switch the harness (it's on an infinite slide), it's a piece of cake to change it from rear-facing to forward facing, and it's an easy install--almost as easy as the MA, sometimes easier.

BUT--where are your 5 yr olds shoulders in relation to the top slots of the MA? What seat does she usually ride in and where are her shoulders in relation to it's top slots? My child had outgrown the MA by 44" tall, but he was a bit longer torsoed back then. The EFTA will last bit longer height wise than the MA. The True Fit will last even longer than it.

henrietta
    henrietta
    former CPST & Mom extraordinaire of 2 rowdy little boys & 1 spunky girl toddler, among hundreds of other skills!
    #1, age 9.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, occasional Safety First Incognito
    #2, age 6.5, Cybex Xfit booster/Harmony folding travel booster/Evenflo hbb
    #3 age 15 months, Britax Advocate CT/Combi Cocorro