Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Help! Almost 2-year-old unbuckled seat-belt installed RF Radian

Help! Was loading my almost two-year-old twins into their RF Radians through the hatch of our Mazda5 when I noticed one was playing with the buckle of the seat belt, i.e. it was fully unbuckled and completely retracted from the car seat. Not sure when this happened and am definitely concerned about it happening again, especially while we're on the road. I'm assuming either she or her brother rested their foot on the seat belt buckle and it released. Is there an easy way to prevent this from happening? This is the 3rd row of a 2010 Mazda 5. There are no latch anchors in the 3rd row. Both 2nd row seats are occupied - one with an infant and the other with an adult. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I turned the female part of the buckle once so it's facing in and harder to unbuckle. It is a different car and car seat, but maybe that will work.
    ~Shannon
    DD (10) Incognito; DS (8) backless Parkway; DD2 (5) Graco Argos; DD3 (3) RF in Graco Headwise

Quote Originally Posted by MommyShannon
    I turned the female part of the buckle once so it's facing in and harder to unbuckle. It is a different car and car seat, but maybe that will work.
    This is what I would try first. Turn the female buckle end 180 degrees. I have done it for one of my RN installs and it makes it much harder to unbuckle because the male buckle half ends up blocking the release button. Hopefully your Mazda buckles are like my Toyota ones.
    Ann, mom to 3 big brothers and a baby girl:
    DS1 - Aug 2006, 80 lb, 56", incognitos
    DS2 - May 2008, 77 lb, 51.5", Vivo or NBB
    DS3 - June 2011, 46 lb, 43", FF in FR85 or booster training
    DD - May 2015, 19 lb, 29", ) Snugride 30

Re: Help! Almost 2-year-old unbuckled seat-belt installed RF Radian

If you cut the toes of a small sock off and slip it over the buckle it may help.

Thank you! I'll try turning the buckle and if that doesn't help I'll try the sock suggestion.

You may want to switch the child to other seat too. It may be they can not perform the same trick with the other foot.

auto correct hates me
    A five stepper and a booster rider

I routinely intall car seats with the female end of the buckle flipped over whenever there are other toddlers in that row, booster riders, or even adults who may be buckling/unbuckling without being able to see what they are doing. I just see accidental unbucklings happen way too often, and this seems to solve the problem most of the time.
    Mom to 2 adult boys and 2 little girls.
    Giant 5 year old in FR85 & Pinnacle; Petite toddler in Complete Air & CCO.

I just install every seat with the buckle backwards no matter what. Too many kids climbing around my seats!
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra