Question Daycare & Foster Parent Questions

Xandra

Hello. I will soon be opening my home daycare/preschool, and soon after I will be licensed as a foster parent. I am looking into getting a 2010 8-passenger Sienna or a 2011 8-passenger Odyssey. Does anyone know which one has more TT anchors?

So, car seats. I need to be able to have 2 Graco SmartSeats in the van, for foster pick-ups. I won't have any idea on size, and it's not uncommon to get VERY wrong ages when called to pick up vs. when you get there. So I need 2 of those so that I can adjust easily in just a minute or less. Other than that, I need to have an infant carrier(probably Keyfit 30) or a Cocorro.

For the other 3 seats, I was thinking my best bet is to get 3 Radians so that I can easily get 3-across no matter what seats are in the car at any given time. These would also be guaranteed to fit anyone in my preschool, as well as a wide range of foster kids. Other seats I need are a couple of HB boosters (was thinking Vivo?) and a couple low-back boosters, all for foster kids.

I am foster licensed for 1 infant and 2 older children. Daycare licensed for 12-14 children as I will have a full-time employee because of foster bio-parent visits and court dates, etc. So I will need to take some of the daycare kiddos with me, depending on how many are enrolled, if I need to leave the house, since if we both aren't present there can only be 6 kids per person, or 8 if 2 are 5 & 6yrs. (foster kids count in these numbers). I would always try to take the fosters with me, and then finish filling up the van with daycare kiddos. The rest would be left behind. So I can choose whoever will fit with the current foster car seat needs. Does any of that even make sense? Lol.

So, what does everyone think of this plan? Sound good or is there anything you would change? Is the Vivo a HB booster that would fit a high range of kids, and what NB booster would you choose if you didn't know the kids? Is it even possible to get 3-across in either of these vans with the smart seats?

Thanks so much in advance!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's great that you are opening a daycare and are also a foster parent! :thumbsup:

:eek:Sorry to say it, but I wouldn't be happy if my daycare provider drove my child(ren) around. Unless it is an absolute emergency, I wouldn't want my kids being driven anywhere at all. This is pretty much the way everyone I know feels, too. Many of my friends and family have chosen their daycares because of the rule that children are not driven anywhere. My siblings and the children of several friends are now old enough that they go on "field trips" on a bus, but when they were younger (under kindergarten age), the daycare providers were not permitted to drive the children anywhere for any reason.

Is being able to drive them a non-negotiable?

Xandra

I could ask parents as I enroll the children whether they're okay with it or not and only take the ones whose parents say yes. I have consents to drive the 3 enrolled so far.

And yes, it would be non-negotiable to have at least 4 that I can drive. Otherwise I could only enroll 6 kids and that wouldn't be best for my pocket. The daycare will be supporting me and the foster kids.

Xandra

Hmmm, now I'm thinking CA's would be better than SS's. They are quickly adjustable except for install. But I could always have 1 ff and 1 rf for pick-ups...

KaiLing

Per 2011 LATCH manual:

2010 Sienna: LATCH 2nd row outboard and center, LATCH on passenger side, center of 3rd row. 5 tether anchors at bottom of back of seat, and all 5 LATCH positions can be used at one time.

2011 Odyssey: LATCH outboard 2nd row. LATCH in center of 2nd row for non-LX models. LATCH center and both outboard positions in third row. LX model: 5 tether anchors at bottom of back of seat. All other models: 6 tether anchors at bottom of back of seat, all 6 LATCH positions can be used at the same time.

Xandra

Awesome, so either is a good bet as I can put a RF in the non-tether spot. All though the Odyssey might be best so I can arrange any way I want! Thanks!

ed_tricia

I have a 2004 sienna, same design as 2010. I haven't seen the seat you mentioned, but I have put a nautilus, true fit, and myride or two of those plus a snugride 22 in the second row easily. They are fairly wide. The second row seats all adjust individually which allows you to stagger so wide seats fit. I also love the cargo space. Plenty of room for groceries or strollers.
Do you need to have the smart seat? Would something like a truefit work, as it is about half the price. There are a few other norethread harness seats. I think the evenflo triumph advance, also a convertible, or the graco Argus, a combination seat like the nautilus. Just a thought...
good luck!

Xandra

I was thinking of doing complete air 65's instead of the smart seats. I do need to stick with convertibles for versatility. Would 3 CA's fit in the 3rd row or would I need to do 2 CA's and 1 radian?

Phineasmama

The complete air 65 is pretty narrow, but just remember that younger kids might not fit in it if they're really small. BUT the harness adjuster is great because it's in the front and you wouldn't ever have to uninstall to adjust the harness.

So those might be good, plus you'll want a good infant seat or convertible. The Coccoro would be good for fitting a wide range of newborn/smaller kids (probably under 2 years old) and it's light and easy to move around. I have an OnBoard 35 Air, which is like the infant seat version of the complete air 65 :p The reason I mention it is because it has a really tall shell but it's a really light seat. I like it a LOT. And my larger than average 8 month old has several inches still above her head so she's not even close to outgrowing it.

Phineasmama

I would probably stay away from the Smart Seats just because they're SO huge and heavy that even though you'd be able to move them around, you probably wouldn't want to.

NannyMom

In the 2010 Sienna you could fit a Complete Air and 2 Radians in the 3rd row. When you put 2 Radians on the 60 portion (driver side and center), you can fit almost anything passenger side. The driver side 3rd row doesn't have a tether though. And you can get almost anything 3 across in the 2nd row

I had no idea the new Odysseys have 6 sets of LATCH!

NannyMom

And for boosters I'd probably get a couple Graco turbo boosters. Then you have highback and backless.

I know daycare providers that driver the kids, one is a friend on here. As a parent I could consider my daycare provider taking my kids for field trips and such, but not to court dates and visits for foster kids and such. Maybe you should find someone that can be a substitute for you?

luvsviola

I'm a foster parent.

Just throwing out there...

DFS has weekly visitation. DCS does not transport. I have to transport, then go back and pick him up an hour later. Its a total PITA.
DFS has weekly counseling (he's 3). I have to transport.
DFS has court.
DFS has family team meetings.

There are a lot of appointments during the week. There is no way I could do it and have daycare kiddos here without taking them to these places. I don't think it is realistic to expect a foster parent running a daycare not to have to transport kids on a regular basis.

But, that being said, I chose my current daycare BECAUSE she takes the kids places. They go to storytime at the library, the zoo, local museums, and have a great time. She also takes my son to physical therapy and feeding therapy each week, and drives them to preschool. She also takes DFS to most of his visits because I am working.

Xandra

Thanks everyone!

I'm slowly working everything out in my head. If I have 2 less kids enrolled, then instead of taking DC kids with me I can hire a SAHM from my church to fill in for me during these times. That leaves 2 spots for her kid/s since they'll count in the numbers.

Xandra

Any other good boosters that turn into NB's? I have 2 HB Turbos but want something more substantial if that makes sense? I do love the fit I get with the TB on a lot of kids.

emandbri

I do home child care and drive the kids around. I like to go on outings and I often have to pick my other kids up from after school activities. I make sure the parents know I will be driving the kids around and so far no one has had a problem with it.

I have a 2004 sienna and I am sure I could fit 6 in the van if I had to, I have done it in the past.

Instead of looking for a high back that turns into a backless I would find the high back that works for you and buy some backless ones, they aren't expensive. I just bought a harmony Cruz for $14 at target.

If I have a lot of older kids in the summer I am considering getting a bubblebum which is super narrow.

Last edited:

mykidsmom10

I know daycare providers that driver the kids, one is a friend on here. As a parent I could consider my daycare provider taking my kids for field trips and such, but not to court dates and visits for foster kids and such. Maybe you should find someone that can be a substitute for you?

This exactly. Field trips are one thing, but personally, I wouldn't want my daycare provider taking my kids to court dates, personal appointments, etc. So, I think your idea to find someone to sub for you would be great! Plus, it would allow you to better focus on the task at hand, rather than having to worry about watching the kids.

mommy2girls

I have a 2011 odyssey & do not think I could get 3 CA's in the 3rd row. I'm assuming the shells on those are similar to an Avenue. If they're more narrow it's possible.
Also there are TT in all 6 seating positions, but the 3rd row middle seat does not have a set of LAs.

MommyShannon

I would be very specific about why you are driving them. If I was giving permission for my child to be transported, I would be assuming its to take them to a fun, kid place where they are closely watched during an activity. I'm sure you would be watching them closely, but there is a big difference between that many kids at a park vs a court house. Plus taking them along to any visit with a foster child's parent would NOT be ok at all with me. There is some reason they are in foster care and while the daycare kids wouldn't be in direct contact, I'd be weary of the potential environments. I don't have any basis for that and I'm sure it's rather judgmental of me, but I would be beyond upset if I were paying someone to watch my child and that happened.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC