Question Daycare & Foster Parent Questions

ADS

Xandra

babyherder said:
If you have an infant seat I'd skip the coccoro and get another radian. The radians will fit larger children as well as infants. Also, if you ever have 2 infants at once and want another infant seat its easy to go to a local store and buy one. If you have 2 toddlers and want to rf both of them you might need 2 seats larger than the coccoro but you will probably need to order a radian and wait for it to arrive. I'd wait to buy the cruz and the literider until you have someone to use them. The monterry can be used backless until you get a cruz or literider if you need. Of course, if you want to buy a lot of seats don't let me stop you!

Thank-you! You're right about the 2 radians, hadn't thought of that! I guess the Cocorro can wait until later when I want something to play with lol! And good idea on the NB boosters, I can get those at Target anytime. Thanks again!

Baylor

Are you going to have the seats checked for these kids? Just curious. I would if part of my job was transporting lots of kids.

auto correct hates me

Xandra

safeinthecar said:
I would be beyond thrilled to have a daycare provider that was actively seeking car seat advice and wanted to drive my children around. I hate being "stuck " and I actually want my children to experience all things within reasonable travel distance of home. Different strokes ...

Oh we definitely won't be stuck in the house! I live within walking distance of a library, movie theater, grocery store, etc! I plan on taking the kids to the library weekly to check out books. I also live across the street from a major river here (all tho it's always dry lol) which has bike paths and walking paths that I plan on taking the kids on! We also have a ninja park a few houses down!

emandbri

I would be beyond thrilled to have a daycare provider that was actively seeking car seat advice and wanted to drive my children around. I hate being "stuck " and I actually want my children to experience all things within reasonable travel distance of home. Different strokes ...

You would have loved to leave your kids with me! :D We go out every day! Yesterday I took the 4 year old I watch to the science center and we touched a piece of Mars!

Oh we definitely won't be stuck in the house! I live within walking distance of a library, movie theater, grocery store, etc! I plan on taking the kids to the library weekly to check out books. I also live across the street from a major river here (all tho it's always dry lol) which has bike paths and walking paths that I plan on taking the kids on! We also have a ninja park a few houses down!

I want to live where you live! Jealous! There is a walking/bike path not too far from me. I really wanted to buy a house closer to it but the houses were the same size as mine and $30,000 more.

SignCuer

Xandra said:
My employee will be here with the fill-in, which is why fill-in only needs a background check and fingerprints. Only one person needs to be present with all of the CPR, first aid, communicable, etc, at a time.

The 20% rule is based on your available hours. Just because I only enroll kids from 7-6 doesn't mean I'm not available earlier or later in an emergency. So, I can be gone 20% of my available hours, which are 6-7.

And I would imagine the reason the ones already enrolled had given permission is because they know me personally. They attend my church and I have worked there as a teacher for years, as well as babysat some of their kids. So I imagine they just trust me. This is also the deaf community, who are generally much more laid back than the hearing community. I'm fluent in ASL and 3/4 deaf without my hearing aids, so a lot of people from the deaf church within my church have been trying to get their kids enrolled with me.

Sorry a bit OT, but where do you live, just curious? I'm deaf myself and would love to know more of the deaf members around here on CS.org :D (If you don't want to post here, can PM me :))

Personally I think what you are doing is awesome!! Yeah, knowing the deaf community :) Glad they are willing to work with you and you have backup plans regarding DC and foster kids! I'm working on opening a daycare here in my area (MD) and focusing on the deaf community since, yes we are a huge deaf community but we don't even have a daycare suited for deaf parents/caregivers! Plus looking to become a foster parent myself so will be watching this thread :D :D

Really, for me, I would love having my future kids go to a DC provider who can take them places, and such forth.. I'm a "to go" kind of gal. I can't just stay home for more than 2 hours. Heh... My future babies will be used to all of the outings from the time they are born. Lol :p

lpperry

I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey. I can get lots of 3-across combos with large seats across the second row. The third row is small and it is a lot trickier.

I cannot fit 3 rearfacing Radians across the third row. There is a little plastic piece on the edges of the third row bench. It makes it so you cannot slide the Radian all the way to the wall of the car because the feet can't fit in the bite due to the plastic thing. So, even though the Radian is narrow, since it can't go flush with the wall of the car, it takes up a lot of space.

I have a rf corroco, rf Radian, rf Avenue. I could not fit two Avenues with the Radian--it was too wide. It would have worked if the Radians could go outboard and touch the wall of the car, but since they can't, the Radian really needs to be center to make a 3 across work.

If you use the Radians forward facing, I am sure you will have much more luck because you won't have to worry about the feet in the bite of the seat.

emtb79

And for boosters I'd probably get a couple Graco turbo boosters. Then you have highback and backless.

I know daycare providers that driver the kids, one is a friend on here. As a parent I could consider my daycare provider taking my kids for field trips and such, but not to court dates and visits for foster kids and such. Maybe you should find someone that can be a substitute for you?

I am that daycare provider that Kathy speaks of. I take the kids on field trips, storytime, and Jumpbunch. The parents know ahead of time that I take the kids places, and if they dont like it when they are interviewing then there is the door because I'm not staying home I cant. I have taken them to Olive Garden and Red robin to practice proper etiquette out in public, they are really well rounded by the time they get to school. They have accompanied to a doctors appt one time because my mom the sub couldnt get off work and it was to remove my stitches.

We have also gone to the school-agers Kindergarten and pre-k graduations.

Phineasmama

Me too, but to fun places for kids. Like the sprinkler park or the zoo.

Xandra

SignCuer said:
Sorry a bit OT, but where do you live, just curious? I'm deaf myself and would love to know more of the deaf members around here on CS.org :D (If you don't want to post here, can PM me :))

Personally I think what you are doing is awesome!! Yeah, knowing the deaf community :) Glad they are willing to work with you and you have backup plans regarding DC and foster kids! I'm working on opening a daycare here in my area (MD) and focusing on the deaf community since, yes we are a huge deaf community but we don't even have a daycare suited for deaf parents/caregivers! Plus looking to become a foster parent myself so will be watching this thread :D :D

Really, for me, I would love having my future kids go to a DC provider who can take them places, and such forth.. I'm a "to go" kind of gal. I can't just stay home for more than 2 hours. Heh... My future babies will be used to all of the outings from the time they are born. Lol :p

I'm in California. I can PM you the church info if you want :)

Xandra

lpperry said:
I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey. I can get lots of 3-across combos with large seats across the second row. The third row is small and it is a lot trickier.

I cannot fit 3 rearfacing Radians across the third row. There is a little plastic piece on the edges of the third row bench. It makes it so you cannot slide the Radian all the way to the wall of the car because the feet can't fit in the bite due to the plastic thing. So, even though the Radian is narrow, since it can't go flush with the wall of the car, it takes up a lot of space.

I have a rf corroco, rf Radian, rf Avenue. I could not fit two Avenues with the Radian--it was too wide. It would have worked if the Radians could go outboard and touch the wall of the car, but since they can't, the Radian really needs to be center to make a 3 across work.

If you use the Radians forward facing, I am sure you will have much more luck because you won't have to worry about the feet in the bite of the seat.

Thanks for that info! I'm leaning towards getting the Sienna. They'll give me more trade-in for my Camry as well!

Xandra

Baylor said:
Are you going to have the seats checked for these kids? Just curious. I would if part of my job was transporting lots of kids.

auto correct hates me

Sorry missed this - I want to, I just need to find someone in my area. Every time I go to get installs checked they say it's great. Don't know where to get it done here though. I want to get certified as a tech but the closest course is 2 1/2hrs away :(

Xandra

emandbri said:
You would have loved to leave your kids with me! :D We go out every day! Yesterday I took the 4 year old I watch to the science center and we touched a piece of Mars!

I want to live where you live! Jealous! There is a walking/bike path not too far from me. I really wanted to buy a house closer to it but the houses were the same size as mine and $30,000 more.

Yeah, it wasn't cheap, but I rent to own from my Aunt, she does it for a living :) It'll just take longer!

ElfJewel

I have a 2011 Odyssey (EX?). The 2nd row is wide and has 3 full sets of LATCH. I can fit pretty much anything I want there (the center seat is narrower but lots of seats will fit on it). The third row is very narrow and only has 2 full sets of LATCH (outboard) and a TA in the center. In the 3rd row we have done 3 RF Radians, 2 RF Radians outboard with a FF Radian center (didn't like how it installed FF though), and 2 RF Radians on the 60 portion and a Maestro on the 40 side. There aren't many options back there, and it requires at least 2 Radians. We used to have an older (2007) Odyssey and I only needed one Radian.

Xandra

safeinthecar said:
Your IP addy indicates you aren't far North of the Grapevine. . There are some really great techs at SafetyBeltSafe in LA.

Maybe about 45mins away from the Grapevine, 2 1/2hrs from LA :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC