Question Designer 22 queation.

HaileysMommy

I need to know appropriate handle positions for in the car please! Dom 2007 Not sure if it has changed in recent years or not.

ADS

jacqui276

I had a Designer 22 purchased near the end of last year and it states to have the handle in the upright position in the car.

MomToEliEm

The Designer 22 used to require the handle to be down. They made a retroactive change a few years ago though and now it can be up or down. I am trying to find the link but can't seem to find it (and of course the manual isn't online to view).

Here is a link discussing the handle position where it was mentioned it can be up or down.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=103165

HaileysMommy

MomToEliEm said:
The Designer 22 used to require the handle to be down. They made a retroactive change a few years ago though and now it can be up or down. I am trying to find the link but can't seem to find it (and of course the manual isn't online to view).

Here is a link discussing the handle position where it was mentioned it can be up or down.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=103165

If its down does it need clearance or can it touch? And thank you so much.

jacqui276

This is from my Designer 22 manual that is copyrighted in 2010 (from the seat that I bought fall 2011):

seat.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Canadian Dorel infant seats changed to require the handle up. In the US, it may be in any locked position.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for that info. I updated the measurements/data spreadsheet to include both the US and Canadian info for the handle.

If you're doing that, note that the handle rules have changed for most Canadian seats that are crash tested to the newest 2012 crash test standards. This is not a complete list by any means (nor am I 100% confident in it because I'm going on memory and not looking at manuals), but for example the newest Snugrides require the handle to be up, the Evenflos are in anti-rebound position, Via is in anti-rebound, etc. etc. The only one that must be down is the Baby Trend.

To further complicate matters these new rules apply to the newest seats, and are not typically retroactive to older versions of the same seats. So for example a Snugride 35 with a DOM of 2010 would allow A, D, or E in the car, but a 2012 seat (and when I say that I mean a seat tested to the 2012 standards even if it has a late 2011 DOM - is your brain hurting yet?) REQUIRES it to be up. So...not sure what you want to do with that information with regards to the spreadsheet...

HaileysMommy

Pixelated said:
If you're doing that, note that the handle rules have changed for most Canadian seats that are crash tested to the newest 2012 crash test standards. This is not a complete list by any means (nor am I 100% confident in it because I'm going on memory and not looking at manuals), but for example the newest Snugrides require the handle to be up, the Evenflos are in anti-rebound position, Via is in anti-rebound, etc. etc. The only one that must be down is the Baby Trend.

To further complicate matters these new rules apply to the newest seats, and are not typically retroactive to older versions of the same seats. So for example a Snugride 35 with a DOM of 2010 would allow A, D, or E in the car, but a 2012 seat (and when I say that I mean a seat tested to the 2012 standards even if it has a late 2011 DOM - is your brain hurting yet?) REQUIRES it to be up. So...not sure what you want to do with that information with regards to the spreadsheet...

My brain just exploded lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC