SS1 or Chicco Keyfit 30

• SS1

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Keyfit30

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters

Jewels

Senior Community Member
If you could pick either the SS1 or the keyfit 30 what would you choose and why?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would pick the SS1. I think it will last a lot longer than the Keyfit 30.

The Keyfit is nice too, though!

I like the Keyfit for cars with LATCH and the SS1 for cars without.

Overall, though, I like the SS1 the best.

Cindy&Connor

I would also pick the SS1 for the same reasons as pp.

Plus I've never installed a Keyfit and, while I've heard it is easy, I don't see how it could be easier than the SS1.

mommy2jana

I would pick the KF30. I think it is nicer looking than the SS1. Plus, there is more hip and shoulder room in the KF30 than the SS1. The chest clip is also more "baby" sized on the KF30 and it has the infant insert. It is supposed to be very easy to install, too.

The SS1 was definitely on my list for next time, until I saw the KF30.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Did you see them both Julie? I'm waiting for your review before I make my decision.... come to chat!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Did you see them both Julie? I'm waiting for your review before I make my decision.... come to chat!

I saw them both :love: But I just ran in to find out where there was a TRU thinking they would have it there but they didn't :crying: But before I left I did quickly compare them and I think the SS1 is a tad bigger but the KF30 was really nice . . . I wish I had taken my camera in :crying:

Erika Ruth

It depends on price. I was having this same exact debate in my head. The Keyfit is so Chushy, and looked great. Easy to adjust, really nice for a small baby.

The SS1 seemed a bit bigger, a bit heavier, and not as plush.

Then, I got an SS1 for $71, and the cheapest I could find a key fit was over $160. That made my mind up for me.

Erika

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Okay, I picked the KF30 because I have spring babies and will only be able to get through one winter no matter which seat I pick... so I went with the one better for newborns... plus it has harness covers. :D

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Oh the KF30 hands down. I have installed many SS1 at work as they are becoming very popular here. I have also installed a lot of KF22 and they are sooooo dang easy to install with LATCH or the seatbelt. Plus the KF comes with the infant insert and fits little ones so much better then the SS1. Also the KF30 is lighter then the SS1 plus I must say I like the Chicco strollers 100x's better then the Graco strollers. So, Those that are wanting to get the whole travel system the Chicco is better all around.

But, I must be honest I am not sure I would keep my over 1yr old that was still under 30lbs in an infant seat. I would probably move them to a convertible around their 1st bday with either seat if not before.

mommy2jana

I saw them both :love: But I just ran in to find out where there was a TRU thinking they would have it there but they didn't :crying: But before I left I did quickly compare them and I think the SS1 is a tad bigger but the KF30 was really nice . . . I wish I had taken my camera in :crying:

The SS1 is a tad taller than the KF30. Someone on my birth board has 1 yr old twin nephews and put them in the SS1 and KF30 side by side to compare. One twin had 1 1/4 inches of hard shell above his head in the KF30, the other had 1 3/4-2 inches of hard shell above his head in the SS1.

If you'd like to see pics, I can ask if I can share them, then I can PM them to you.

And like a pp said....I like Chicco strollers way better than Graco strollers!

mimieliza

SS1 - the infant insert in the KeyFit can only be used until the baby is 11 lbs. (or at least that's how it was on the 22 lb. Key Fit).

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
SS1 - the infant insert in the KeyFit can only be used until the baby is 11 lbs. (or at least that's how it was on the 22 lb. Key Fit).

That is true but by 11lbs a baby has filled out & has grown height wise too. Which makes the harnesses fit better.

Don't get my wrong I like the SS1 but between the 2 the KF30 fits newborns a lot better due to that infant insert better then the SS1. Now if the SS1 came with the infant insert then it would truly come down to if the parents want the whole travel system b/c Chicco strollers blow Graco strollers out of the water.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I think these are both great seats and the Keyfit 30 isn't available in Canada yet but if it was I am not sure if I would be able to decide, this is why I am asking everyone here :)

chickenman

in terms of just car seats i like the keyfit, the geometry of the seat and the way it is balanced, i love how it installs, plus i dont mind them going rf in ma sooner then the safeseat.

Erika Ruth

Now if the SS1 came with the infant insert then it would truly come down to if the parents want the whole travel system b/c Chicco strollers blow Graco strollers out of the water.

My SS1 came with an infant insert, and I plan on using it with a SilverCross Stroller if at all in a stroller, so it works fine for me! :)

Really, I LOVE the Chicco KeyFit, and if money wasn't a factor, I would SO get the Chicco. It is VERY VERY nice. But, with my cost being significantly less on the SS1, I went for it.

Erika

hsjwmom

I plan to get the Chicco. I already have a RA to move the baby into when the infant seat is outgrown, so I don't need it to last me that long. Also, I tend to deliver early, so I would prefer a seat that fits a bitty baby better! (say that 5 times fast, LOL)

steph

I have installed both (I had the Chicco Keyfit22 and my cousin had the Safeseat).

The Chicco fabric is nicier IMO. It also seems like a more sturdy seat (not heavier, it's just that the plastic is better not as cheap feeling as the Graco).

They both install great but the Keyfit is easier for Belt and LATCH IMO. It's hard to say why until you have played with both....the keyfit is just so nice and the harness adjuster is so smooth (like a hot knife on butter). I was truly spoiled with this seat;) and now I have the Britax BV - I guess I'm just a total carseat snob:p!!!!

mimieliza

That is true but by 11lbs a baby has filled out & has grown height wise too. Which makes the harnesses fit better.

Don't get my wrong I like the SS1 but between the 2 the KF30 fits newborns a lot better due to that infant insert better then the SS1. Now if the SS1 came with the infant insert then it would truly come down to if the parents want the whole travel system b/c Chicco strollers blow Graco strollers out of the water.

My DD fit very well in the Safeseat at 7 lbs. It was more supportive and seemed to have lower harness straps than even the 20 lb. Snugride we had. But she would not have been ready to have no head support at 11 lbs. In fact, I just removed the head support a month ago (when she was 8 months old). Anyway, the lack of extra support/padding after 11 lbs. was one thing that discouraged me about the Key Fit.

The Chicco strollers are great, but the travel system is $$$. The Graco Snugrider frame is $60, the Safeseat can be found for around $100 or less, so for the price, the Graco is a great deal.

Anyway, they are both great seats. I will be encouraging any friends who ask to look at both seats - you really can't go wrong! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC