Alberta crash (one child survived!)

bnsnyde

From April 28, it says the family was hit head-on by a pick-up, and the mother and father died, along with the 2-year-old. But the 3-year-old survived! I can't find details, but were both boys FF?
Was the 3-year-old strong enough to take the crash, and the 2-year-old not (if he wasn't RF).
Speculation...other factors could have been at play. But I'm just amazed the 3-year-old survived (and he isn't even injured a lot)! What made him survive when the 2-year-old did not if it was head-on, assuming nobody was crushed on the side or anything.

I know at least 7 died in total, including another 2-year-old. The articles are not mentioning seat use, or maybe it's coming. Frustrating that this info gets left out so often. (There just seems like a HUGE difference here. 1 child dead and another hardly even injured?) And both were so close in age.

ADS

Joyofbirth

That's so sad. Where will that poor baby go? It breaks my heart a little that he lost his whole family.

It does seem odd that one baby made it and one didn't and neither did the parents. I guess without knowing anymore details, there's really no way to know I guess. Hopefully, they will release more info in time.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Sometimes there is a freak of positioning where one seating position is survivable and others aren't. Without investigating the crash scene that's hard to determine. Poor thing to lose his family in one day. :(

Emi's Mommy

If I'm not mistaken, both of the trucks caught fire. Perhaps the boy was pulled out and that is why he survived?

It's a really bad stretch of highway. Lots of tragedies :(

Brigala

CPST Instructor
How sad. :(

It is a reasonable guess that the 2 and 3 year old were probably both FF and the 3 year old's skeleton would be that much more mature and more able to handle the impact. There's a pretty big difference between 2 and 3 in that regard. But as KC said, without knowing a lot more it's still only a guess. It could have been seating position, or speed of evacuation or a matter of one seat being properly used and the other one not... chances are we'll never know since the media rarely reports on such things.

It's so sad that so many people in the accident died. :( I hope the child has loving family who he's familiar with that he can live with now.

Shanora

I'll bet that both are FFing, since the bare minimums here are met.
The crash was unsurvivable, and the fact that 2 people survived and 7 died leads me to believe that.

Its very sad.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC