Someone posted this on CL.... Did one of you do it?

snafued

I saw this post on my local Craigslist earlier today. I thought of you guys when I read it. :)

STOP SELLING USED CAR SEATS - $1 (Anywhere)

Date: 2012-04-27, 2:05PM CDT
Reply to: j6bd2-2982818472@sale.craigslist.org

I know it's disheartening to spend $200 + on something and not make any money back by reselling it, but I cannot believe the amount of ancient and expired car seats being offered for sale.
Car seats ALL have expiry dates (yes, even Britax seats. *gasp*) Most car seats expire after 6 years. Older Peg Peregos are only 5 years. I've attached a quick reference seat to help you determine if your seat is expired, but the easiest way to know is to look on your car seat for a sticker specifying the expiry date OR the date of manufacture.

Car seats past their expiry will not function properly in an accident. The primary components of car seats are plastic, and plastic is not meant to hold its structural integrity forever. The hot and cold cycles each year wear it down, and even though you can't *see* it the seat is eventually compromised. Crash test data done to observe how expired car seats functioned in accidents clearly demonstrated that the expired seats essentially collapsed and failed the restrain the child (crash test dummy) in the collision.

In many states it's illegal to sell an expired car seat. In Canada, you can even be held responsible for damages incurred from an expired car seat that you sold. While in NY there are no specific laws forbidding it (except for those that apply to retail establishments) it's extremely unethical to knowingly sell someone an expired seat that is intended to protect that child's life.

ALSO: Car seat straps are not supposed to be washed. Read your car seat manual's instructions. Almost all manufacturers warn not to submerge the straps in water, but to gently handwash with a damp washcloth. They cannot be submerged in water and certainly can't go in the washing machine (or dryer) and the straps can literally burst during a collision if they're been improperly washed. Please be sure you are not reselling a car seat with compromised straps.
Remember people: Unlike strollers and toys are swings, car seats have to save our children's lives. They are the most important investment we as parents make during those early years to protect our children. PLEAES take the time to read your manual, and don't purchase a second hand car seat from someone unless you trust them with your child's life.

Here is a general reference seat. It's important to know your OWN car seat and read your manual and be familiar with its lifespan. Especially if you plan on selling it to someone else.

Baby Trend
6 years from date of manufacture

Britax
6 years from date of manufacture with the exception of the Frontier, which is 9 years from the date of manufacture
ALL seats with these model names are expired: Advantage, Bodyguard, Cruiser, Expressway, Freeway, Galaxy, Handle With Care, Husky, King, Laptop, Roadster, Starriser, Super Elite, Wizard.

Century
ALL century car seats in existence are expired. They were last made in 2002. Not only are all of these seats expired, but they are not remotely up to date with current safety standards.
NOTE: Graco will begin production of new Century car seats later this year. Some are already in production in Canada.

Chicco
6 years from the date of manufacture

Clek
7 years from the date of manufacture

Combi

Dorel Juvenile Group
(Cosco, Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer, Maxi-Cosi)
3-in-1 seats are 8 years from the date of manufacture

Evenflo

Graco
6 years from the date of manufacture with the exception of the Nautilus IN LBB MODE ONLY, which is 9 years
(Most Graco seats expire in Dec of the 6th year)

Harmony

Learning Curve
(The First Years, Compass)

Orbit Baby

Peg-Perego
5 years from the date of manufacture
( some sources state that seats manufactured in 2011 or later expire 7 years from the date of manufacture - this is unconfirmed, since Peg Perego seems to disagree)

RECARO

Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products (now Diono)
Radians -- 8 years after the date of manufacture
Monterey -- 6 years after the date of manufacture

I wish all 50 States would pass a law to ban the selling and reselling of expired car seats. If drop-down cribs is a prohibited item (for reselling) on CL, why can't expired car seats be as well?

ADS

katymyers

I kid you not two seconds after reading this I went on Craigslist and scrolled through the baby stuff and saw not only a Century convertible seat but an Evenflo infant seat with a three point harness both being sold by the same person!

jeminijad

Except for the statement about crash testing "clearly showing" seats not protecting kids.

I can only assume that is referring to the clip of the alleged expired Britax seat failing, which we don't know to be A) an American Britax, or B) from a reputable testing facility/institution. If I'm wrong, and there is other available data, please correct me.

And the bit about plastics breaking down. That is really the weakest argument of all of them for discarding newly expired seats, since we've had plastics and chemical engineers come in and explain that the integrity of the shell will not be effected for 10 years or more. I wish whoever wrote that had focused on lack of manufacturer support, recalls, loss of parts, manuals, unknown history, etc.

But it is certainly a good thing as a whole.

Baylor

I think it would go better if it said STOP BUYING USED SEATS.

I think less people will respond to this when trying to make a profit but that more people might be concerned if they apply this to buying.

auto correct hates me

christineka

A few ladies dug about for info on the expired britax video. It's a European 4 point harnessed seat and the dummy submarines. The harness doesn't rip out of the shell.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
christineka said:
A few ladies dug about for info on the expired britax video. It's a European 4 point harnessed seat and the dummy submarines. The harness doesn't rip out of the shell.

A 4 point harness?

littleangelfire

Obviously the poster is passionate which I respect but when something comes across a condescending it's not likely to win anyone over.

And I hope they don't make a law preventing the sale of used seats. I'm not a big law fan. I don't like them butting in that way. they've got enough to monitor already. And it's not illegal to sell a used crib in US, only drop side cribs

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not sure if it was determined with 100% certainty to be a 4-point, or what caused the dummy to fly out.

However, we also have no proof that the seat was expired, installed correctly, used correctly, and had all its parts.

Bottom line: We have no idea what that video showed.

Athena

I think it would go better if it said STOP BUYING USED SEATS.

Yes. Or how about stop selling unsafe/expired car seats?

I completely agree with the idea and the passion. It's great to see someone really caring. However, I will not stop selling my safe, non-expired seats.

cookie123

Not me, but I've posted something similar on CL, usually every couple of weeks. It got flagged today.:eek: Probably because there's a ton of expired seats on there. Frustrating.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC