Why does BRU push those crazy 3 in 1 seats?

2angels2love

It annoys me every time I go in. Invariably there will be a clueless parent and a BRU employee standing there telling them how it'll be the one and only seat they'll need. Today there was one poor mother with a 6 week old baby who was trying to find a seat since her infant carrier was expired. I guess she had had a tech install for her and told her it was expired. I butted in as soon as the BRU guy left (he didn't even show her any others...) and told her to get the true fit since it was the same price, lol. She was buying it as I was leaving, yay.

ADS

Phineasmama

Ugh I hate those seats!!!! Mostly the fact that they are pushed on parents as a magical "do everything" seat as you said. And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit a 6 week old baby anyways!??

Another thing I hate is when they tell parents their kid can use this (whichever) convertible until they're "around 4" and then they'll be able to go right to a NBB. Drives me nuts!!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Because their training includes reading the boxes and looking at the price tags, and if you go by that, it's the best deal ever. It's also a big seller, though whether or not that's the reason for, or the reason why, I don't know.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

hey, you think that's bad? check this out!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksefIHyUHVM"]How to Install a 3 in 1 Childs' Car Seat - YouTube[/ame]

creideamh

I guess I don't understand... as a business, wouldn't you want to sell MORE than 1 seat? Like an expensive infant seat, then convertible, then booster. If I was clueless and a salesperson, that's what I'd push :p

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ugh...the information card under the Symphony at our store says you can use it FF from 19 inches...whoever writes those things has never seen a kid or a carseat or something :rolleyes:
Anyway, I've finally convinced the people I work with not to sell the Safety 1sts because of the horrid belt fit as a booster, so we sell a lot of Symphonies. People are he11 bent on not having to buy more seats, after they get gypped out of all their money on an infant seat that barely lasted, they don't understand how long a convertible will last and just want to be done with the whole buying thing.
My little speech includes pointing out how the weight limits on the boxes are just marketing ploys, really any of our seats can fit MOST kids till about kindergarten, then you can go buy a 'big kid booster!' that's not full of ground-in cheerios :p
I also have to tell people that just because the Nautilus screams that it's a 3-in-1, doesn't mean it rearfaces... even if people are going to FF too young, the Symphony is a better choice because of the recline, but we sure get a lot of these things returned when people find out they can't RF....apparently being in the *BOOSTER* section away from the convertibles isn't any kind of hint to people about how it should be used :confused:

Kat_Momof3

the bad thing about the video, aside from the blatent promotion of one seat alone is they install it overreclined, then (although this is worse in their "how to install a child seat video) show the ff child with the straps below the shoulders as they say at or above and let's not even touch the touting this seat as making a great booster.

Their booster install video has more obvious errors... encouraging using the backless belt positioner while using the back.

BananaBoat

At our BRU I am consistently told but various sales staff that the Nauti is a RF-FF-booster 3-in-1 seat. Even after I point out what it says on the box, they maintain that there's "more info inside & it RF too" :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC