Booster's and vehicle head support

christineka

I contacted a bunch of booster manufacturers and shared the answers elsewhere, but thought I better make a post here.

I didn't ask Combi, Clek, or Dorel. Combi makes it very clear in the manual that you can use the seat in high back back mode without vehicle support. (And I no longer have contact info for Combi.) I assumed clek was fine and we all know Dorel requires vehicle head support.

Harmony recommends vehicle support, but does not require it.

Chicco, Evenflo, and Britax sent me personal responses standing by their manuals, repeating to me that their boosters do not need vehicle head support.

Graco didn't let me past the cs rep that hardly speaks English and doesn't understand the manual.

Recaro initially just responded to me with the probooster manual and the child's specifications, but today responded the same as in the other thread. (I think Carol was sending out copies of the same email.) Recaro needs vehicle head support.

Compass didn't respond to me.

ADS

christineka

How did Recaro respond? I have not seen other threads. We have a probooster.......

Here it is:
The VIVO manual does not state that it is ever okay to remove the vehicle headrest.

This is clarification I received from the engineer concerning the ProBooster:

"You can remove the headrest as long as the child's head is equal to the vehicle seat back. If the child's head is above then discontinue use. "

If a gap is formed with the vehicle headrest installed, then the use of a folded towel to fill a small gap is an option.

Again, only you can make a final decision.

Hope this helps.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Carol Ruscoe
Customer Service Associate

Dmcj13

So many booster manufactures requiring support makes me really uneasy :/ If it isn't safe to use the vivo or monterey without support I just can't imagine how it would be ok for my flimsy evenflo..

Dillipop

I just read the Vivo manual front to back. The only reference to head restraints is when they are talking about the vivo head restraint. The seat is outgrown when the child's ears are over the top of the vivo head restraint. The head must be centered in the vivo's head restraint. There's even a definition of head restraint at the end of the manual- Head Restraint: Structure at the top of the backrest which is designed to keep the child’s head in the proper position and provide protection for the child’s head during a crash.

There is not one word in the manual about the vehicles head restraints or needing support behind the booster to the child's ears.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC