Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Outgrowing nautilus?

I wish I could add a picture but I have no clue how on my phone. My son turns 4 in June. He is in the last slots of his nautilus and depending on the day he has between an inch to an inch and a half left. So when would he outgrow this seat? Should I be buying a fn85 soon? And whats confusing is that I only measure his torso being 15ish inches but he has clearly outgrown the other slots. Why does it not measure up correctly? It is installed in a 07 corolla in the middle.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Outgrowing nautilus?

He will have outgrown the seat when his shoulders are over the top slots or he hits the weight limit.

Also when car seats are installed kids will magically gain or loose height in a seat. It will vary depending on the vehicle the car seat is installed in.

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

Also an inch and a half in torso height could easily mean a year or more before he actually outgrows the seat.

I would move it outboard and see. You may gain some more height in the harness. I don't get it but in my back seat I lose it and in my middle bench I gain height.

My son is a big boy and was just about to outgrow nautilus but it seems as he turned 4 he is getting more leg length but his torso has remained the same and he still has about 1/2 inch in nautilus before its outgrown.

auto correct hates me
    A five stepper and a booster rider

Quote Originally Posted by aschofield View Post
    Also an inch and a half in torso height could easily mean a year or more before he actually outgrows the seat.

So if my son outgrows his nautilus at age 5 would you buy the fn85 to keep him harassed a tad longer or buy a booster for him? I'm leaning toward the fn85 but wanted another opinion

Well you have the Nautilus so you could try that as a booster and see how he does. AT 5 it is a reasonable age to try boostering as long as it fits him well and he understands booster rules. Sitting properly 100% of the time.

Also a plus for the GN as a booster is that you can use LATCH while boostering so that it is not a debris risk in an accident.

I have a FR85 also. But I bought it because my 3 yr old was outgrowing the GN. If he was almost turning 5, I would have tried him in booster mode first to see how he did.

I love both seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
    Well you have the Nautilus so you could try that as a booster and see how he does. AT 5 it is a reasonable age to try boostering as long as it fits him well and he understands booster rules. Sitting properly 100% of the time.

Also a plus for the GN as a booster is that you can use LATCH while boostering so that it is not a debris risk in an accident.

I have a FR85 also. But I bought it because my 3 yr old was outgrowing the GN. If he was almost turning 5, I would have tried him in booster mode first to see how he did.

I love both seats.
    I'm thinking his nautilus is going to expire when he's 6 anyway(I really hate taking it out just to double check right now) so we would need a booster anyway. I wish they bad the fn85 in store so I could check it out. Ive heard some colors are meshy which snag easy. Have you heard this? I'm really liking the Maui blue one lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnc91

I'm thinking his nautilus is going to expire when he's 6 anyway(I really hate taking it out just to double check right now) so we would need a booster anyway. I wish they bad the fn85 in store so I could check it out. Ive heard some colors are meshy which snag easy. Have you heard this? I'm really liking the Maui blue one lol.
    I've heard someone say they snag, but ours doesn't have one snag and we've has it two years. We have pink sky which is mesh (everywhere there is pink).
    Rayleigh - 9/07 - Frontier 85

Reese - 7/12 - RF Britax Boulevard

Unless you really want to buy a new seat now (I might, I like new seats ), I wouldn't be in a rush to buy a Frontier. I would wait until he's closer either to outgrowing the Nautilus or it expiring to decide if you want or need a Frontier. You may find he's ready to be in a booster full time at that point. If you do need to keep him in a harness past that point then the Frontier will have more life before it expires if you need to pass it down to siblings or sell it.

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Mine have no snags.

That cover is from 2008.

auto correct hates me
    Last edited by Baylor; 04-26-2012 at 05:26 PM.