Outgrowing nautilus?

Jnc91

I wish I could add a picture but I have no clue how on my phone. My son turns 4 in June. He is in the last slots of his nautilus and depending on the day he has between an inch to an inch and a half left. So when would he outgrow this seat? Should I be buying a fn85 soon? And whats confusing is that I only measure his torso being 15ish inches but he has clearly outgrown the other slots. Why does it not measure up correctly? It is installed in a 07 corolla in the middle.

ADS

zactayaus

He will have outgrown the seat when his shoulders are over the top slots or he hits the weight limit.

Also when car seats are installed kids will magically gain or loose height in a seat. It will vary depending on the vehicle the car seat is installed in.

Baylor

I would move it outboard and see. You may gain some more height in the harness. I don't get it but in my back seat I lose it and in my middle bench I gain height.

My son is a big boy and was just about to outgrow nautilus but it seems as he turned 4 he is getting more leg length but his torso has remained the same and he still has about 1/2 inch in nautilus before its outgrown.

auto correct hates me

Jnc91

Also an inch and a half in torso height could easily mean a year or more before he actually outgrows the seat.

So if my son outgrows his nautilus at age 5 would you buy the fn85 to keep him harassed a tad longer or buy a booster for him? I'm leaning toward the fn85 but wanted another opinion

Baylor

Well you have the Nautilus so you could try that as a booster and see how he does. AT 5 it is a reasonable age to try boostering as long as it fits him well and he understands booster rules. Sitting properly 100% of the time.

Also a plus for the GN as a booster is that you can use LATCH while boostering so that it is not a debris risk in an accident.

I have a FR85 also. But I bought it because my 3 yr old was outgrowing the GN. If he was almost turning 5, I would have tried him in booster mode first to see how he did.

I love both seats.

Jnc91

Well you have the Nautilus so you could try that as a booster and see how he does. AT 5 it is a reasonable age to try boostering as long as it fits him well and he understands booster rules. Sitting properly 100% of the time.

Also a plus for the GN as a booster is that you can use LATCH while boostering so that it is not a debris risk in an accident.

I have a FR85 also. But I bought it because my 3 yr old was outgrowing the GN. If he was almost turning 5, I would have tried him in booster mode first to see how he did.

I love both seats.

I'm thinking his nautilus is going to expire when he's 6 anyway(I really hate taking it out just to double check right now) so we would need a booster anyway. I wish they bad the fn85 in store so I could check it out. Ive heard some colors are meshy which snag easy. Have you heard this? I'm really liking the Maui blue one lol.

wnkw

Jnc91 said:
I'm thinking his nautilus is going to expire when he's 6 anyway(I really hate taking it out just to double check right now) so we would need a booster anyway. I wish they bad the fn85 in store so I could check it out. Ive heard some colors are meshy which snag easy. Have you heard this? I'm really liking the Maui blue one lol.

I've heard someone say they snag, but ours doesn't have one snag and we've has it two years. We have pink sky which is mesh (everywhere there is pink).

Brianna

Unless you really want to buy a new seat now (I might, I like new seats :)), I wouldn't be in a rush to buy a Frontier. I would wait until he's closer either to outgrowing the Nautilus or it expiring to decide if you want or need a Frontier. You may find he's ready to be in a booster full time at that point. If you do need to keep him in a harness past that point then the Frontier will have more life before it expires if you need to pass it down to siblings or sell it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC