Britax Traveller Plus...

Leila

Has anyone actually seen this seat in person? I keep reading that the top harness slots are only 18¾" high. Is that right?? It just doesn't make sense that a seat that is supposed to harness to 105lbs has lower top harness slots than the Regent that only goes to 80lbs. Argh...

ADS

LaurieB

The travellor plus is the Regent shell, just dual teathered. So it accomodates moe weight than the regent, but no additional height. We looked into it as an option for us but sadly it didn't work. Kind of silly that its no taller....

Laurie

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Traveler Plus still uses the Husky shell, so it hasn't had all those goofy routing problems the Regent has.

Leila

Thanks for the responses. What I'm really trying to find out is if the harness slot heights are actually different from the Traveller Plus to the Regent. Everything I'm seeing says that the TP has 18¾" top slots while the Regent has 20" top slots. The woman I spoke to at Adaptive Mall said it's because most special needs kids are shorter. :thumbsdown: Mine's certainly not! He's 45" and nearly 60lbs and he's only 4¾ years old. Completely off the charts for both height and weight---and he's a preemie!

LaurieB

When I called and spoke to Britax they said it's the Regent shell. So adaptive mall may have it wrong. There are a few other suggestions for seats for "our" kids. I'd need to search the boards but the special tomato and columbia come to mind. I kept Casey (Fragile X and deaf) in his husky/regent until he reached 80# at 7years old, he was within 1/2 inch of the top slot also, and now he's in an airbooster and doing OK with the sitting thing. Insurance would not reimburse since we don't need positioning help. If your son needs positioning help you can probably get insurance to help you our with cost.

Good luck - as if we need one more thing, huh?

Laurie

Last edited:

Leila

Thanks Laurie. With the exception of Elite Car Seats (they say 19") every other site that carries the TP says 18¾" top slots.

Devin definitely doesn't need positioning assistance. He has Asperger's Syndrome as well as a host of other neurological and psychological issues to deal with. Our biggest reason for keeping him harnessed besides that it's safer is that he consistently unbuckles the seatbelt if he's in a booster. He only goes in a booster if the car we're going to be in isn't Radian compatible.

I think I'll put in a call to Britax tomorrow to see why so many sites are saying the top slots are different heights for these two seats. I don't really relish the thought of spending $200 more dollars for less torso room.

LaurieB

I wonder if all of the special needs sites just copy each others info. I bet none of them actually get out a tape measure...

Let us know what Britax tells you. It seems they've been hit and miss lately. The rep I spoke to kept telling me I had to call a different retailer to buy one, that Britax didn't sell those directly. When I said (a few times) I wasn't looking to buy, just to find out how the Regent and the TP differed, she said "Oh, let me look that up for you" ugghhh.

Casey needed the "behavior" help of a 5 point. It certainly helped. He's a wiggly unbuckling kid, too.

Laurie

Leila

Britax wasn't able to tell me anything. They claim to not even have the specs for the seat in their system. I was given a number to call, a place called Snug Seat. Their CS rep said that the slots are 18¾" high. According to everything I've read about the Regent, that's a full 1¼" shorter on the top harness slot. The woman at Snug Seat said that the difference is because of the head support pillows in the TP.

I won't be buying a TP now. It won't serve much purpose for my son with only ¾" of torso growth space over the Radian he's in now.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I've worked with the Special Tomato before...it's kind of a unique seat. VERY heavy though and you wouldn't want to have to move it from vehicle to vehicle, even heavier than the Regent/Husky. It is visually very definitely a special needs seat, so if you think he has any peer pressure issues (or will) then this is not a seat you'll want.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC