what height/age outgrow Radian RF/FF? 1.5 inch rule

bnsnyde

In case the post I was reading is old...what height and age did your child outgrow the Radian RF with the NEWER 1.5" rule? I'm so curious. Include a torso if you have that info.

And what height and age FF did he/she become even with top slots? (Not what age did he/she get to 53 ").

Ever feel like you're watching a pot of water boil? I keep waiting for my kids to grow...As soon as my girl (4.5) outgrows it RF she's going FF in the middle because the baby (in the middle) is getting very heavy to shove in that seating position.

And my son is (actually need to check, between 46-48 inches) but I'm not seeing that he's even with it yet. Wanting to get a Frontier85 at some point. :) Just needing some good reasons to do so. And kind of wanting to get rid of Super Latch. I'm following SK rules, of course, but figure I'd prefer a seatbelt install now that he's 50 lbs. And I know the Frontier 85 gives a solid install that way, unlike the Radian in my van, which only get a good SL install FF.

ADS

Keeanh

Can't say when they would have outgrown RF because I didn't have Radians until recently. My 5.5yo is 48" and is right at the top slot FF. My 3.5yo is 38" and obviously still fits RF.

There isn't a "new" 1.5" rule. The rule is still 1" of shell. They say 1.5" in case someone measures from the top of the cover.

beetlemama

Disclaimer: my kids seem to have uber-long torsos.

My 4.5 year old hit the top slots FF at 43" and 4 years old
My 2y 9m old is 38" and has less than an inch of butt to top of head height before hitting the RF height limit (measured this week). We're considering turning her now because she's really hating RF and getting close to the height limit and is really hot in the car with the warm weather lately.

Brianna

Keeanh said:
There isn't a "new" 1.5" rule. The rule is still 1" of shell. They say 1.5" in case someone measures from the top of the cover.

I thought I followed the height limit Radian thread but I missed that part. Do you have a link?

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

momtotwogirls

My oldest is even with the top slots ff and she jsut turned 5 she probably would have fit rf to about 4ish. My youngest will fit until 5 at least rf and probably til about 6ish ff.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

That was my understanding too. Then again, I got jumped all over on FB for using it with the 1" rule since people were convinced it has "never" had a 1" rule :rolleyes:

Stelvis

An Aurora said:
That was my understanding too. Then again, I got jumped all over on FB for using it with the 1" rule since people were convinced it has "never" had a 1" rule :rolleyes:

But the 1" rule was never stated in the old manual, right? If you just followed the old manual you could have continued to RF until the overall height limit was reached.

bnsnyde

She has about 2 inches left. Ought to fit to age 5.

To echo some other posts, SK told me it's 1.5 to account for the cover and I'm happy using the 1.5. We'll be ready to FF by then and move the baby outboard. Muscle power until then! :)

julia94115

My daughter is just barely 4.5 years old, 46ish" tall and she is at (could possibly even be a tad over since I haven't checked since last week) the top slots FF. If I remember correctly her torso is 17".

I really need to get her a new seat but I am really stuck on what to get her next. (Doing three across in a CR-V with a Radian and a Cocorro).

skylinphoto

My ds fit rfing until 5-5.5 yrs old. He's a shorty though and I'm pretty sure he was only 41inches then.

(He hasn't rode in our rfing in our radian since he was 4...I tried him in it around 5-5.5 yrs old though and he would've just outgrown it.)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

aetj115

Whoa. I have a Shorty :) he's 4y2m and not on the top slot yet ff. The straps are just above his shoulders currently.

skylinphoto

aetj115 said:
Whoa. I have a Shorty :) he's 4y2m and not on the top slot yet ff. The straps are just above his shoulders currently.

My dd just turned 4 and is almost on the top slots just like your ds. :) she's also a shorty at 38.5 in tall.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

Jan06twinmom

And what height and age FF did he/she become even with top slots? (Not what age did he/she get to 53 ").

My DS outgrew the Radian when he was 5y10m old. He outgrew it by torso length and weight (65lbs) at the same time.

My DD still fits in the Radian at 7y3m with growing room. She's only 45in and 45lbs.

Melanie

DD is 4yr 3mo and is still RF in her RXT, second to top slots. Stats below are current as of last week (on my phone and can't remember sorry).

Sent from my MB860 using Car-Seat.Org

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Well, if I go by the 1" rule, DD just outgrew it a month or two ago. She RFed in the seat on her 6th birthday, and was right about 1.5" at that point. This is the only pic I have, and her head is raised so it's hard to see.

100MEDIA_IMAG0093.jpg

Funny thing is that she outgrew it FFing at the same time - the straps are a smidge above her shoulders, but the wings push down and it's uncomfortable for her.

ETA: I'll stick her in it again today after school and see if I can get a picture to see where she ends up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC