flying with a car seat

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm sorry but I'm very confused by your answer. I'm looking at the RXT. Are you saying that it does not really work as a booster but I can reasonably expect to use it as a FF car seat until the child is about 65 lbs? I'm just trying to avoid buying another car seat in a few years. I don't mind buying a $20 booster when the time comes but if I go with the RXT I want it to be my last car seat.
Thanks for sharing the 5 step test - I have not seen that before. That's to get them out of the booster right? What do you mean by '(and many children outgrow the seat as a booster before they are really able to use it as a booster'

My kids have long torsos and are very skinny. My son at 2.5 yrs old is barely 24 lbs.
Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

Ah, long torsos. Sigh. My long-torsoed child outgrew the models with the headwings (because you can use it with shoulders over the top slots if the child's ears are below the top of the seat and the child is comfortable- but the headwings block such use) between 45 and 50 lbs. but she is heavier for her size (all muscle) than your kids. Um... Yeah. The model without the headwings she still barely fits in but at 2 inches over the top slot she's getting uncomfortable and so I'm not using it for her any more. (She weighs about 53 lbs.) A more typical range is 60-70 lbs. to outgrow the harness by height- but with long-torsoed kids, that goes out the window.

Many kids who are skinny and long-torsoed, like yours, are never going to be able to use the booster mode because it has a 50 lbs. minimum. So their shoulders will go over the belt guides, rendering it outgrown, before they hit that minimum.

I would not plan on it being the last seat except a backless booster you ever need. Not with a long-torsoed child. At the very least you will want a high-backed booster which provide better support, especially if your child outgrows it by height around age 5... If before that, you'll need a taller harnessed seat.

It is a fantastic seat for rear-facing a long time. It's great for plane travel with kids over 2 who can forward-face (and sometimes you can rear-face it if you have an angle adjuster, on some airlines.) It will last a year to a few years past outgrowing it rear-facing forward-facing. There is no guarantee that you'll never need anything but a backless booster after that, though, so I just don't want you to get a false hope of that if you have a long-torsoed kiddo (a pain I know all too well, lol.)

And yes, children need to pass the 5-step test before they use the seatbelt alone (though honestly the belt needs to be positioned correctly IN the booster and they need to be able to sit properly the whole trip in it before they move to a booster from a harness.)

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
What KQ said. My oldest was too talk for the Radian harness at 37 lbs, and her sister is 31 lbs and about an inch below the top slots and head wings. She will outgrow the harness long before 40 lbs, much less 50!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
How long will you be in Europe and which country (or countries) are you traveling to? Do you have family there? If you were to pick out a seat and ship it (either from the US or perhaps a European seat) for you younger child, could it be waiting for you when you arrive?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC