Need advice - 13yo who is too big for a car seat

M

mlong2004

I have a 13 yo son with CP who is 75 pounds. He has far outrown a car seat, and we are using the E-Z On harness in a regular captain's chair in our van. I need something with a crotch strap to keep his pelvis from sliding out and to keep the chest clip from creeping toward his throat. He is not able to sit at all on his own.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If he is too large for the Roosevelt but needs more positioning a Churchill may also work.

Any special needs seat should be selected with help of a special needs-trained CPST and a physical therapist, if possible, and ordered through your insurance's DME rules once ordered by a pt and doctor.

If you need help finding local resources let us know where you are and hopefully someone can help!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
"Chest clip," makes me think you are using an 86-y Harness. E-Z also makes vests that might give him the support he needs.

If he does not sit at all, how does he get in/out of the van? What other positioning or mobility equipment does he use?

If he can help with transfer, they make captain's chairs that can lower to the ground, allowing for a safer/easier transfer.

http://www.amsvans.com/mobility-equipment/bruno-turning-automotive-seating

Otherwise, at 75 lbs, it's probably time to look at handicap accessible vans for DS.

AustinMusic

I need something with a crotch strap to keep his pelvis from sliding out and to keep the chest clip from creeping toward his throat.

E-Z also makes vests that might give him the support he needs.

If the seats mentioned by previous posters are not available or suitable, I would recommend the E-Z-On vest. We have been using one for a while and they are easy to use (contrary to the first impression of some people!) and very supportive.

We have the 102 model vest with the push button buckles at the front which makes buckling the vest very simple and quick. Here is the link to the page on the E-Z-On website:

E-Z-On 102 Model Vest

If you do choose to use a vest, I would recommend using the ‘Floor Mount’. With a correctly fitted vest the attachment points at the hips will do an excellent job of holding the pelvis close to the seat bight and thus provide the support required. If the required size of vest does not come with crotch straps as standard, you can always have them fitted to the vest as option (either sewn or removable).

With the 102 model front-opening vest, we discovered it was possible to keep the vest secured to the seat, leaving the buckles open when it is not in use. This way when it is needed the person using it can sit down and simply put it on like a jacket. It also makes it easier to assist someone using the vest if they have trouble managing on their own.

Additionally, the vests have no chest clip, so there is no danger of anything coming too close to the throat.

The only factor to be aware of however is that you will need to install the heavy duty tether anchors to use the vest, if you choose the floor mount. If you opt to use the tether mount, then a heavy duty tether anchor will also be required above a certain weight (which is dependant on the factory installed vehicle tether anchors). The heavy duty tether anchors come with whichever type of vest mounting system you choose.

I hope that helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC