Question Do you let other people drive your kids around?

newyorkDOC

Personally we don't but that's probably bc we don't know anyone that has any familiarity with CRS use whatsoever. And even if they did, it'd likely be sub-par to our standards (we live in Italy so it's totally normal to FF as soon as you've outgrown the infant bucket).

There are ppl on another board who think I'm insane for not allowing it... Even called me names over it! Not that I really care but I'm curious what others do. I'd probably be ok with it if it were another parent with similar safety standards.

ADS

momtotwogirls

I do but I install the seats and i go over basic things like strap tightness and chest clip placement. That being said i really have no reason to have anyone else drive my kids around.

christineka

My oldest rides with others and she doesn't take her booster any more. (She still uses it in our vehicles.)

My harness only kid(s) only ride with others when absolutely necessary. I let my younger kids go with others- in boosters. (More likely to be used correctly. i have old parkways with no arm rests that I send for riding in other people's vehicles.)

Being an anti-social family, though, there isn't much need for anyone but the 12 year old to ride in someone else's vehicle.

gigi

Just my mom, who uses the restraint properly. I am very leery off anyone driving my kids anywhere. But honestly i'm a SAHM, so there is no reason for anyone but me to drive them 99.9% of the time.

Keeks64

Only my mom drives with my 3 year old DS - I install the carseat & adjust everything prior to make things easier for my mom , I've always shown her how to properly tighten , adjust etc ....she rarely does go anywhere with him but for my piece of my mind I always leave her with an installed seat.

My Dad & step mom have taken him once but same thing , I installed etc & I don't even think they actually took him out of his seat as they just went for a drive to look at Xmas lights

I don't trust anyone else to be honest & I'm fine with it , there is no need really for anyone to be driving with him

NannyMom

My parents each have a carseat that stays in their car for DD. My SIL used to have one, when we lived closer to her. And now SIL has a booster for her. If I can install the carseat ahead of time and trust the person to properly tighten the seat, I'll allow it. There were 2 moms at her school last year that had to drive her home a few times because I couldnt. I installed the seats ahead of time, or checked it if it was one they already had (1 family had a brand new nautilus). I. Think now that she's getting to booster age, it'll be easier to let her go with others.

Ninetales

There hasn't been much need so far. I do the installs myself when I have other people drive her. My mother, inlaws, and sister are all capable and willing to do the straps how I show them so I trust them.

hedgefun

Don't have kids yet, but we've discssed it. I know discussions don't always translate to what actually happens, but this is where our discussion landed: There are certain people we would let drive our kid(s) and trust to install seats because they're as carseat crazy as me (BIL, SIL, DW's cousin, and a couple of our friends). There are certain other people who we would trust to drive only if we install the car seat and show them about strap tightness, chest clip placement, etc. There are also certain people who would never drive our kids unless it was an emergency/zombie attack situation. So really for us, hypothetically speaking, we would let some people drive our kids but not just anyone.

Mysweethoneybee

The first time someone other than myself or my husband drove my 4.5 year old around was just a couple of weeks ago. It was an emergency and so my son was also in a backless booster. I was told that when my sister routed the seat belt incorrectly my son told her the correct way to do it. With my other kids I think they only rode with grandparents if we were in the car also. Otherwise I think my kids were out of needing any kind of carseat or booster seat when they started riding with other people.

kater-tot82

My friend has a spare booster for DD1 to use (she is my.emergency contact person for pick.up). Otherwise, no, my kids don't usually.ride with anyone...DD2 never has ridden anywhere without me. I kind of wish I had another mom to carpool with for DD1's softball practices, but I am never sure how safety conscious people are and I don't want DD1 to be made fun of for still riding in a booster...and I'm not really friends with any of the softball moms anyways so it is a mute point I guess.

I would not have a problem with my kids riding with my best friends who are all responsible, they just don't live around here.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't have kids, but I'm a nanny and drive kids around. For some families, it has taken them longer to allow it, but others are pretty comfortable immediately. I understand not allowing others to drive your kids. It is a HUGE responsibility.

Jan06twinmom

Very few people have been allowed to drive around with my kids...

My parents, but DH always installed the car seat first.

Our nannies at different times, but DH almost always installed the car seats first.

My DD rode in someone else's car in the fall for the first time - at 6y10m. It was for a birthday party and I had our nanny put the booster seat in her car. Another parent picked her up and brought her home.

Melanie

Phineasmama

The only people who have driven our kids (a couple times) are my in laws, and my mom took DD1 to school once.

We don't really have a need for other people to drive them. If they do go in someone else's vehicle I will personally install their car seats first. The in laws are watching them for a weekend while DH and I fly to my sister's college graduation and they are going to take our van for the weekend.

Brianna

I don't have kids, but a lot of my friends with kids don't have cars. None of them have ever had a problem with me driving their kids. My aunt and uncle won't let me drive my 2 and 8 year old cousins, even though I have better car seat usage and a better driving record than my dad who they let drive them... their kids their choice I guess.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

HEVY

Not usually. She rides the school bus and just this past spring break she spent in NJ so my ex had to drive her around. I was a mess partly because she was in a booster.

tam_shops

I have a few people I trust to drive my children around. They either have a car seat for my guys or I install it for them.

I don't let them go w/ anyone that I wouldn't drive with and I'm *really* picky about who I drive with b/c I get car sick! LOL

tam

PikkuMyy

I'm a single mom so sometimes I have no choice. :\ I have always installed his seat. My ex used to uninstall and do weird things like use twisted LATCH AND seatbelt, while still managing to leave it loose. He has since gotten MUCH better about it and no longer complains when I want to install/check the seat (Nautilus). At least he knows to buckle him in correctly! My son is 5 now and rides in a booster for car pooling. I've taught him the proper way to route the seat belt and continue to go over the steps with him.

I trust my mom to use the seat correctly if I've installed it first. She's not with us often though. I've had a few other people drive him and I'm always a nervous wreck because even though I installed the seat, I have no way of knowing that he's properly buckled in. However, those have been the few "I have no other choice" situations.

laurengt

My family -- mom, dad, siblings -- only. I install the seats most of the time too but they have been well versed in how to do it correctly in case they have to do it. My family lives 3 hours away so when we have needed them to watch DS when we both get stuck working a weekend or a holiday, we regularly meet them at a halfway point and they drive DS home and wherever they're going while he's there.

I have maybe 2 friends that I'd let if needed but otherwise there is no need. I drive other people's kids though.

PunkyMonkey

Eek! I have never ever let DD go anywhere without me. The thought of it gives me anxiety. DH drives sometimes when we go somewhere together and I have had both of my sisters and 3 of my closer friends drive DD and I (which of course I installed and put her in her seat) and was with her the whole time but the thought of her right now at 1 year old going somewhere without me scares me. I think the biggest thing is that I don't know anyone who cares about car safety even remotely as much as I do. Everyone I know has an "it'll be fine, we're only going down the street..." lax attitude regarding CRS stuff and that scares me. That's my baby and her life/well being depends on me being as safe as I can be and to me that means not letting people who don't feel the same way as I do drive her anywhere! Call me crazy but it is what it is and I'm sure I'll feel better when she's older but not now.

I hope it will get easier... I have had the worst dreams and scary what ifs that this topic is a terrible one for me lol!

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse autocorrects!

Kobain's Mommy

They have seats installed in both of my parents' cars. The only other person has been DS going with my cousin. I install the seat and have shown her how to use it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC