Question Any studies on kids with big heads!? Lol

lovemybabies924

My almost 5 year old has always had a big head, he will grow into it eventually I hope lol but I'm wondering about if it will cause extra head excursion? Lol he's ff in a radian with safestop because he is 37-39 lbs depending if he's eating well. He fits rf but it was a fight to get him in and at his age I wasn't thinking the fight was worth it. I am planning to booster train him at five for non caregivers cars for short trips.

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I can tell in the pic that he has one heck of a noggin, but, as one would expect, it's the same proportion to his body as any typical 5yr old would be... so I wouldn't worry about it. If he had some special needs issue where his head were not proportioned normally, that would be different.

lovemybabies924

Ya he actually had an mri or cat scan ( I forget) because his head was shaped funny and big at 18m...but I guess hes ok haha I just get myself all worked up if he would be safer rf ff in harness.. should I booster train now lol Damn anxiety takes over haha

abigaylebelle

I don't have any answers but I can commiserate on the huge headed kid. My ds has a head that has been off the chart huge since birth. At 5 his head measures the same as me. It is definitely not a normal proportion as he is 41" tall and needs adult size helmets. It is a reason that I rearfaced him as long as possible and boostered earlier than I might have if he had not had such a massive head on a little toothpick neck.

skylinphoto

I too have a kid with a big head. My ds had to get a larger size helmet for tball...he couldn't fit into the ones the coach had. Lol. He's tiny at only 6 yrs old and 43in tall but he's got a big head like dh (dh has trouble buying sunglasses and hats!! Hahaha).

I boostered him kinda early. We started booster training at 5 and he was boostered fulltime by 5.5. :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

aept

I'd be curious to know as well. All my kids heads are off the charts big. My baby's has been the farthest ofd the charts of all of them, plus te others were bigger overall, too, but the baby is 50th percentile for height and weight with a huge head. He just had to go for extra testing to make sure it wasn't hydrocephalus. Nope. Just a huge head. Fortunately he was able to just have an ultrasound since his soft spot wasn't closed up yet, instead of an MRI or CT scan.

I do wonder if there is any greater risk for my big-headed boys! I have already figured on RF ds3 as long as possible, and the big head factors into that decision for sure. The first two rf'd to the weight max of their seats at the time, but those were 35 lb limits. I think we'll go longer this time.

Kat_Momof3

you can booster train him if you want... I think it depends on what you want to do, what he wants to do, and on his maturity.

I like all kids at 5 to be booster trained cause I'm one of those "what-if" machines that just feels better knowing they can if they have to.

but then 2 out of my 3 kids HAD to go booster full time right around age 6... Ruthie 2wks before her birthday, Damian at 6.5yrs old (he outgrew the freakin' REGENT)

Not all kids NEED "training"/practice, but Ruthanne definitely did and Damian just felt better about giving up his big super comfy seat because he'd been using boosters before (in fact, the regent was a re-harness seat)

For Jeffrey, I just knew I couldn't let him go booster full time without him being able to buckle himself cause he loved the independence of that in the van that he wasn't having quite yet in his dad's car... so him being able to practice that was good... when he did move full time, he just needed me to check him after (which I did when he was harnessed, too)

jubgulia

I hear ya! DS3 is <5th %ile for height and weight but 98th %ile for head size. His is a combo of family genes and his OI. I'm not really sure what to do next for carseats. We have a Coccoro that he'll be moving into soon since he's over 2 years now and getting close to outgrowing the infant seat. I would love a Foonf for him, but I'm thinking it might be overkill for his size as well as $$$.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
What's up with all these tiny, skinny kids with giant heads, lol?

Both my kids have big noggins, especially in proportion to the rest of them - DD wasn't on a growth chart for weight from 6mo-4 years old, but was like 85% for head... DS was in the 5-15% for weight I think, and off the charts for giant head.

I keep saying that I'm going to try and weigh DD's head, because it's so HEAVY compared to the rest of her. I always have to buy her big hats (size 8+ at Gymboree, her new Sunday Afternoons sun hat is a "youth" size and fits WELL for this year).

Her BFF is tiny (I would say MAYBE 41" at 6 yo? and around 35lbs his mom says) and has a HUGE noggin.

I don't have any data to back it up (or maybe I could find something European, if I felt like hunting right now), but it makes logical sense that head excursion would be higher in a HWHing situation, if the head is that much heavier and is moving forward at a high rate of speed (but we're getting into shield booster versus harness seat I feel like, maybe). HOWEVER, that doesn't mean anything - sometimes crash dynamics are different than straight physics on paper, you know?

It's interesting, and REALLY makes me want to take a summer course or something at the local college. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC