Booster for 31 pound kid?

saferez

Hi,

My son is almost 4 years old. His weight is 31 pound and his height is about 100cm.
He is current seat is Evenflo Triumph Delux.

I am looking for a booster for him, and I would appreciate any recommendation.
I was considering Britax britax evolva 1-2-3, but do I waste money on a seat that is suitable from 9 months and from 18 pound?

P.S: he sometimes get a sleep in the car so the side head padding might be useful:)

I would appreciate any suggestion.

ADS

Keeanh

I believe OP is in Israel.

If you have an Evenflo Triumph Advance and are happy with it, you could look at the Evenflo Securekid. It's a combination seat, which means it's a harnessed seat that converts to a high-back booster once your child is old enough, big enough, and mature enough for a booster. I would definitely keep him in a harness for a while yet because he's young, he's only 31lbs, and he sleeps in the car.

The Evolva looks like a nice seat, but it has a 40lb limit on the harness. That may be enough for your son, depending how long you want him harnessed. I have no idea how much the seat costs. Britax's US combo seat is the Frontier 85 that harnesses to 85lbs and can also be used as a booster. I would pick the Frontier over the Evolva just based on the weight limits. Also, I'm okay with the weight of the Frontier being behind my kids in booster mode. I would not be okay with the Evolva unless I was guaranteed to be able to latch it in every seat I used it in as a booster. I believe the Evolva is based on the Multitech shell so I'm assuming it's heavier than the Frontier.

Another highly-recommended US seat is the Graco Nautilus or Argos (Argos is basically a Nautilus with no-rethread harness).

Sorry, I don't know anything about the European seats you may have available to you.

Is he outgrowing his Triumph Advance? If he's forward-facing and his shoulders are under the top harness height, he can still keep using it for a while. He's certainly under the weight limit.

newyorkDOC

What about a nautilus? The euro version harnesses to 18 kg / 39.6 lbs.

Or you could get a Swedish seat but not sure you want to make that sort of investment at this point.

Are you more interested in US or EU seats?

saferez

Hi,

I have Toyota Corrola which is small family car, so I dont know if every seat would fit in. I am from Israel.

From what you suggested Britax Evolva, Graco Nautilus, Evenflo Maestro are available here. Unfortunately, currently e are out of stock with the Britax Frontier (maybe it will change in few months).
According to what I see in the Evolva I can use the seat harness only until 40lb and in the Nautilus it is until 65lbs - am I right?

What about sleeping in these two seats?
What is safer to use the seat harness or the car seatbelt?
Can I use the Nautilus also as only as booster seat afterwards?
Which seat is safer?
How can I know what is the safety score of each seat?
Is there any better option in around the same price?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The harness on the Nautilus will depend what version is sold there. If it is the US version it is to 65 lbs., while if it is the EU version it is only to 18 kg.

The Nautilus does make a good booster for most kids who have outgrown the harness in most cars, and later a backless booster for older kids. It also installs well in a Corolla.

The safest seat is the one that fits your car, fits your child, and is used correctly every time. If possibly try the seat out and try it in your car before buying.

saferez

Regarding the Nautilus, I have heard that it is less comfortable due to the head pillow which makes the head tilt forward.

Keeanh

Out of all those seats, the Frontier is my personal favorite, but I really like the Nautilus as well. I bought one for my nephew. I think the head slump problem depends on the individual child and the recline of the vehicle's seat. Some kids sleep in it fine, but the Nautilus does push the child's head farther forward than the Frontier does.

If prices are similar between US & EU seats, I think you might as well get a US seat with the higher limit. A harness is safer than a seatbelt if a child is small (it's easier for them to slip out of the belt in a crash), or if the child is not mature enough to sit properly at all times (they could be out of position in a crash). For a larger, more mature child, say 5-6yo, 40+ lbs, they're both safe options.

A 31lb almost-4yo should definitely still be in a harness.

How much room does he have between his shoulder and the top harness height in his Triumph?

saferez

Hi,

My boy is 100cm and his weight is 15Kg
Although we have option to set the harnes level to be higher than his should I think that he has already too big for the Triump because his head is litter higher (by a couple of cms) than the seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Triumph is ok to use (by height-weight limit is straightforward) until the top of his ears hit the top of the seat or his shoulders go over the top harness setting. :) The head being a bit over is fine.

Keeanh

It sounds like you still have some growing room in the Triumph. So you would have time to wait for US seats to come back in stock, or look for a sale. Depending how much room he has before his ears get to the top of the shell, or his shoulders go over the top harness height, you might even get to 5yo in that seat and feel comfortable putting him in a booster. Unless you want a new seat just for fun :D.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC