So, how did your car seat clinic go today?

ADS

Blondie87

I also had 2 Baby Trend infant seats (separate vehicles) with unborn babies, where both dads installed it with the LATCH and unlocked Seatbelts. Both weren't even tight either, in either car. Usually when you see that they have it so tight it won't budge.

The mom with the missing seat belt used locking clips on her 2 installed seats with switchable retractors, but on the wrong side. Seats were tight tho. This car also had the Century seat that is in Judi's pic.

Those aren't "OMG" things tho.

glockchick

My next check isn't until the 5th. I can't wait.

Worst I had last time was a vehicle with no seats at all for a 16 month old, 3 year old, and 7 year old. The mom was glad when we put the 3 year old on a seat cause she said "he likes to stand up and bug me". She left with the baby rear facing, the 3 year old forward facing, and the 7 year old in a hbb.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I didn't do any checks today. Scheduled for one next Saturday in Tualatin. Wonder if any CSO techs will be there? I haven't done an event since... December?

T4K

<yawn>

I'm all about the gory and gruesome car seat check stories.

Where are the poopy diapers? Seats soaked in urine? Vomit covered straps?

Come on techs, don't let me down. :p

Baylor

I just want to know how the seats Judi took him will meet their demise. ;)

auto correct hates me

laurengt

How do seat checks usually go? I mean, what do you do first, how do you approach situations when kids are in no/inappropriate seats? Does Safe Kids always have seats to hand out if they're needed?

(I'm taking the tech class next month and I've never been to a check-up event.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ooooh, a blue Cybex Pallas, without the shield, was in one car, and the mom knew me from BRU :love:
I mostly tried to sound nice when I had to inform most of the nurse-techs at the check that there are seats that DO allow RF tethering, and no, it's not 'new' and not 'only expensive online seats' that allow it. Had to laugh when the sr checker mentioned the safeline seat as being RF tethered (uh, dude, that was eons ago, the sit n stroll hasn't been allowed to do that in like 8 years, nor has it been made by safeline in forever ;)) (I did pipe up with correct information about sunshine kids/diono... the nurses seemed happy to have 'new' information from me, so I guess I didn't come off as too much of a know it all :p).
Met one nice other girl who was just a volunteer like me not affiliated with any organization, and she was the one who was best at actually involving the parents, educating as she had them help install. I gave her my card and invited her here :love: Everyone else was so old school, I-can-do-it-for-you-while-you-sit-in-the-front-seat, I really had to try to ignore it before I screamed 'what are you people DOING?!?!? Seriously?!?!? Educate! Read a Manual! ARGHHHHH' :banginghead:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
<yawn>

I'm all about the gory and gruesome car seat check stories.

Where are the poopy diapers? Seats soaked in urine? Vomit covered straps?

Come on techs, don't let me down. :p

Well, one mom had cleaned her SR22 really well, and the dad brought it in to be rethreaded and recovered, and we found a cheerio perfectly preserved in a groove at the front of the seat. Like a mummy cheerio...

And another guy suggested we keep dustbusters on hand so funk can be removed prior to reinstalling seats... and maybe window washing...hey, make it a full service affair (hmmmm... maybe we should all start hanging out at carwashes in general...I smell a new business model coming on...)

PikkuMyy

I participated in my first seat check yesterday. :) It was the last day of my CPST course.

We didn't get any seats with pee, vomit or poop. We were fore-warned (is that a word?) by the instructors though. lol

I think the most interesting thing I saw was a garage sale seat where someone had removed the retainer clip, put in a new one and SEWN the harness straps back together. o_O The grandparents had come without their grandson so they went to pick him up and came back. The 2 techs that had helped them the first time were working on a 3-across, so my partner and I picked up from where they had left off. We got the little boy into a new seat and the grandparents did the final installation and buckling. :)

We got a blue plastic Graco infant seat, manufactured in 2003, off the road from the last car we checked.

I can't wait to participate in another check! It was such a good feeling to send off families SAFE in their cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC